MDT Controversy Needs to be Addressed by a Blue

The entitlement in here is thick

the more i read into it the more the addon writer just comes off as an ahole lol

at this point i’d start thinking about ignoring anything from said author even if perfectly free ; out of principle.

1 Like

Half the data he’s selling is also essentially datamined from db2 files. So he’s selling data that’s not even his to sell in the first place, on top of breaking the addon dev policy.

5 Likes

It’s not stealing or piracy. What’s happening is exactly what’s intended under that license. Furthermore, this addon uses libraries under the same GPL license (which actually forced the addon to have been released under GPL in the first place).

we already pay a month fee on this game…if addons start to be priced …i’m out.

botters didn’t need anything resembling multibox software, they fully automated each client. there was a lot of people complaining about multiboxers the few months before the change.

The authors of those addons aren’t charging for use of that addon.

Nnoggie is the author of MDT and is charging to make it usable.

I mean, I’m just going by Blizzard’s statement. They didn’t say “people complained about multiboxers enough that we decided to not let them do their thing anymore despite the fact that most of the things being attributed to multiboxers were actually being done by botters,” they said:

“We’ve examined the use of third-party input broadcasting software, which allows a single keystroke or action to be automatically mirrored to multiple game clients, and we’ve seen an increasingly negative impact to the game as this software is used to support botting and automated gameplay.”

I am sure thy will have a coupon day or something.

Also lol @ not just pirating addons or using free addons or just playing the game without addons. jfc.

meanwhile bots and multiboxing bots are still rampant and all the normal multiboxers are left out in teh cold, reducing blizzard subs by thousands, and leaving teh crafting materials/legendary market in the hand of actual botters who just steal accounts/make accounts with stolen credit cards and bot on them until they get banned. the multibox ban didnt do anything to prevent botting at all and actually hurt the in game economy by leaving everyone at the mercy of the bot farmers.

2 Likes

I spent a solid 40 minutes reporting a bunch in bastion. By the time the ban happens, they have already damaged the economy and have new accounts rolling. I am too tired to care anymore honestly, even tho i’ve gotten some ingame mail saying they actioned some accounts.

the botters can steal/make accounts and bot them up to max faster than blizzard can an them. wow classic is even worse and more noticible with the black lotus bots and hunters/mages in zg/dm.

That’s highly debatable. Arena addons displaying the trinket being used and the cd on it. Or a healer dispel and its cd. Also showing you the diminishing returns so you can tell when it’s best to cc again.

Those are things the blizzard ui do not display and are you telling me you’re willing to mentally count/track all this info in your head while fighting other players? Something they don’t have to do because they paid $100?

So have we figured out whether the topic at hand is actually happening or not? Are we going to start paying for addons? I mean, I won’t pay, I simply won’t use em. But is this what we’re looking at?

No, but IDK how Overwolf is going to work with WoW add-ons, because subs for premium features is clearly a violation, but not sure about ads or how that would even be possible; are they going to force us to run Overwolf while we use add-ons and then hit us with a pop-up during a boss fight? :man_shrugging:

Honestly if it gets to that point I’m happiest not even using them. Less clutter, more immersion I guess!

Looks like someone ganked the addon. Looks to be name Manbaby Dungeon Tool which is hilarious.

Was still a chuckle to see manbaby tools branched nearly the moment whatshisface had another meltdown. Still hopes blizz gets involved unless we have direct access to recreate the data/code he removed

If you don’t want to see ads there will be an ad free subscription just like old Curse Client. No you don’t have to keep Overwolf running I have it set to close when I close the CurseForge app. And there won’t be any ads in game.

It’s subjective, but not random.

This deal is this: Lawyers are expensive. Is the person in question making only a few hundred bucks a month? This is couch cushion change for a large company like Actiblizzion. It is simply not worth going after such small potatoes.

However, if some independent is making tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars a month, like gold sellers and private servers, it’s worth breaking out the lawyer dogs to end that stream of lost revenue.