MDT Controversy Needs to be Addressed by a Blue

Don’t use them :man_shrugging:

Someone will replace them and then they’ll get nothing and die (the addon I mean) :+1:

I feel a lot of folks are being much more open with rule bending.

I ran into several farmbots tonight and one even had bot put right into the name. I’ve played MMOs forever and it was pretty blatantly a skinning bot, especially with leather priced how it is, yet players are comfortable enough to openly bot. I did report them all but it always feels like a lost cause.

I don’t care if it’s Noogie or a big bot wave just something to show rules are enforced.

K… I just went online and opened up /mdt devmode…

Dude… Give me a break… That’s like giving someone a car without an engine and telling them to just build their own engine…

They’d have to individually go through every single dungeon, find every single mob, ID them, input those ID’s, input their types, input their conditions, input their links, input pretty much everything…

Like don’t get me wrong… I already stated I get the dilemma of the add-on authors like I said above… But don’t act so flippant about this. It just makes you look silly.

Edit: Either way, I got the memo before I updated and now have the add-on set to ignore. I’ll be fine. I still think what he did was pretty crappy. It’s one thing to create more tools and put them behind a paywall, but to intentionally sabotage the add on… that’s just slimy.

4 Likes

Requesting payment for any aspect of an addon is super weird and sets a terrible precedent. Will every addon become pay to use? No.

This is the byproduct of something that’s been happening since… forever. There’s a popular addon out there called Zygor and it’s in the same boat, yet it’s not banned because it’s skirts the edges of the ToU. What we’re seeing now is a much more popular addon adopting that.

Ultimately, it won’t even be a huge issue. Like Zygor, someone will just pay for it and then leak the data so that everyone can have it.

Expect more addon devs to start doing it, or at least consider doing it, if Blizzard doesn’t publicly condemn it in this case.

Fwiw, I think having an official recent response on this matter is good.

1 Like

Can you not play the game by yourself or are you just a puppet that can only take directions? Get a grip

1 Like

Problem with add-ons is how many become almost necessary because of Blizzard FAILING to implement needed features in their game to match the add-on functionality.

I’ve been in guilds that did add-on checks to make sure you were running what they wanted you to run.

On the one hand, mod creators give a ton to the community and take massive abuse from entitled players.

On the other Blizzard has made the game really hard to play without mods

3 Likes

I never ever payed for Zygor, but i use it.

If people are paying for bonus addon content like a special skin or sound pack, a queue skip or perhaps a streamers Elvui set up, thats fine IMO because the base addon still functions as is.

Or with Elvui profiles you are more than likely able to replicate it 1:1 with the available tools if you put in the effort/maybe know some scripting outside of a streamers custom art assets.

What happens here breaks the base addon, which is why its a little different I feel.

I agree…if you want to pay to get a higher tier for things like cosmetic changes to the addon, different sound packs, whatever, as long as it doesn’t break the addon’s functionality if you don’t pay, that’s totally fine. Like if someone made a William Shatner sound pack for DBM or something and charged extra for that, but stock DBM still worked, that’s fine. (OMG now I can’t get it out of my head - I swear I heard Shatner say run away little girl, run away.)

If the base addon is not useable without paying, then that is a pretty clear ToU violation.

EDIT: Someone make a Shatner voice pack for DBM now, lol.

7 Likes

Okay, I understand and agree with the problem making the addon be paid for the full functionality and the precedent it sets if it goes unchecked, but i don’t think that’s worth calling an addon creator that.

So much this. :point_up: I also hope it includes the hacky pauses that people like to do while imitating Shatner as an option. :grin:

Well report them in game for whatever.

Trade skill master has been offering ‘extra perks’ for paying for years now and I didn’t see people complaining about it.

Also, I can guarantee you can play the game just fine without that addon, especially considering I don’t even know what you are talking about using MDT?

To be fair… the add-on is so ubiquitous in the M+ world, I’d say Bliz should just step up to the plate and make their own built-in one. It’s definitely needed. Should be a part of the dungeon journal.

1 Like

I did mythic plus dungeons in BfA (not playing shadowlands), and I never used the addon and never even heard of it. The game can be played just fine without it.

Seriously, this is what people are complaining about, a little convenience.

https://imgur.com/PqBR2vK

You’re not wrong, but it’s sorta like saying: Just take out all the UI add-ons. The game still plays fine without them.

Like, yes the base UI does still function, but it’s hilariously poorly optimized with relevant in-game information displayed all over the screen. I’m not a fan of returning to looking to the top left, then the top right, then the bottom left, then the far right all so I can just do my base rotation…

The same is said of MDT. The add-on just makes sense. Why not have an in-game map with the relevant information to allow your party to tackle a M+ dungeon most efficiently?

As opposed to what? Trial and error with actual keystones? The fact that the add-on is so popular already counters any claim you have of it being insignificant.

Heck, usually when add-ons are this popular, Bliz adds their own version of the add-on to the game.

Not really. I have yet to see any indication of TSM being added to the game and that addon and/or others like it have to be used more than this mythic plus addon. Too lazy to look up downloads but I am sure the numbers would support me on that.

I don’t pug mythic plus and I suspect that is where this MDT is popular.

They recently massively overhauled the AH. I’d say that’s them taking a step in improving their AH.

OQueue was added as the pre-made finder. There are others, but honestly it’s too late for me to look them up now. It has happened in the past.

2 Likes

They did that because the existing one couldn’t handle the load not because they were improving ease of use or whatnot.

That is a totally silly example to use to support your case.

And yes they added a group finder, however, they used to HAVE a group finder in the game and again I think they added that group finder for a reason other than player convenience. Can’t remember the exact details of what was happening but there was something against that addon I think they objected to.

Yes, they would have to do all that? What’s the problem? People don’t want to do the work, and would rather bytch and moan that someone else doesn’t want to do the work for them for free?

The add-on is perfectly and fully functional as is. The add-on is still free. These is no problem here.

1 Like

Odd… Almost like there may be something they may object to with the current add on in question?

And no… it was pretty much universally accepted that the pre-made finder was created due to the popularity of OQueue.