Maximum pc

Hello. Maximum PC was a magazine I would read to stay caught-up.
I haven’t seen an issue in years.
I can get a digital subscription.
It used to be pretty good, is it any good now?

No idea, but I do wish I kept all my PC Gamer and Gamepro magazines

They were owned by the same company as PCgamer and their gaming hardware was eventually rolled into the PC gamer hardware section because that web site had more visitors.

i got a digital sub to them from the zinio website just read the sept issue

Thanks for answering. Maximum Pc used to be a pretty good source for cutting edge power user/builder enthusiasts. Can I get your opinion of what they are about now? My last issue was Nov. 2009. I’d like to get somewhat caught up, lol.
Thanks again, to you and all that answered.

1 Like

I used to read maximumpc a lot from 2000 to around 2010. Towards the end of 2010 they seemed to be getting more and more towards kissing the advertisers behinds and pushing rather pricey hardware. I have not read any of their digital issues.

If you are looking for a free alternative I would suggest techreport. In my opinion they carry the same essence in their site as the earlier maximumpc issues where they cover hardware not just gaming hardware. Scott Wasson sold the site a few years ago to his partner so its one of the few tech sites not owned by Future US (PCgamer, anandtech, toms hardware, maximumpc, among others)

Maybe I’m (relative to other people here) ancient … do you remember Computer Shopper magazine? I loved that back in the 90s… Geek girl nirvana…

I don’t recall computer shopper but I remember CD-ROM because it always came with a CD full of demos. I also remember Computer Gaming World.

Speaking of shopping and CD-ROM, I distinctly remember the computer show TV ads, where the guy would list off the stuff that seemed interesting at the time in that advertising-TV voice, “Super VGA! CD-ROM!” etc. etc.

I wish I had a recording of those computer show ads.

1 Like

Started reading Computer Shopper in 1984,when I got into IT. Subscribed for a bunch of years, loved it, when it was phone book thick.

2 Likes

Had a friend in high school whose Grandfather worked for Microsoft. He invited me over one day and showed me his gaming PC. Was an Athlon dual core and gamed really well.

If it wasn’t for my friend at the time, I don’t know if I ever would have gotten into gaming PC’s.

For me it was my cousin who was a good 10 years older than me. I would go over to his house for thanksgiving and he would have Doom on his four-computer IPX network.

Between me and my other cousins, we would play the heck outta that game.

We had a Tandy 1000 at home. As you may have guessed it my cousin gave us all copies of Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, etc. But I didn’t really start caring about the computer until I played Quake multiplayer for the first time.

For me, it was hardware. I wanted some music at work, so I got a headset, an mp3 player.
I found I could put 100 songs on that player, downloading them from my computer, and my computer could get those songs from cd’s or youtubes i could convert to mp3 audio, or I could capture them from almost any audio source if I had the necessary connections, the hardware.
Thats when my computer became something more than a glorified typewriter. :grinning: Thanks for the tip Lilybugg, I will look into Techreport.

Yes! It was thick like an old Sears catalog! :grinning: