Massive stutters with DF client

If you haven’t read through the ~1.7k replies to this issue, the current consensus seems to be; it’s not your system, it’s some changes Blizzard made in the 10.0 pre-patch that their game engine can’t cope with no matter what hardware you throw at it, so just have to live with it or wait until they may or may not improve it.

5 Likes

This is my worry as well. This thread has become an absolute monster and the fact that Blizzard’s only response has been to deflect and blame (like a certain, unusually obsessed poster in this very thread which everyone really needs to just ignore) is incredibly concerning.

I’m never one to jump to screaming “I’m gonna unsubscribe!” whenever a service I own is behaving poorly, but I am very nearly at that point. I’ve been playing WoW since the very beginning and am as in-tune with how it should behave on my computer as anyone can possibly be, and this is simply beyond unacceptable.

9 Likes

Say your theory is correct, when should Blizzard take a stance on Performance? There’s a point and time where you could argue that it’s just taking a bit more of required performance. When does this become an issue for blizzard to be like “We shouldn’t turn up the graphics anymore. We have too many issues with the lower tier hardware”

I have an i7 8700 and the performance is far from great. Like I said before, I’m playing on setting 7 at 1080p with a 1080ti. When does the performance hindrance become too much?

With your argument, you’ll need a NASA quantum computer to get wow to even boot with minimum graphic fidelity.

So many people have reinstalled windows, reinstalled wow , bought new components thinking it was something faulty with there system lol because blizzard hasn’t made a statement not fun

12 Likes

I guess Blizzard should just stick to mobile from now on.

1 Like

Posting to bump… 2022 i9 3080 ti razer gaming laptop… rock solid 140 fps + massive stuttering. 2018 i7 amd radeon pro MBP… “rock solid” 55 fps NO stuttering lol. This is silly and frustrating. Yes the stuttering gets better with no sound but still highly noticeable compared to my four year old mac running osx (not bootcamp!). Super weak.

Only reason im not livid is doesnt seem to stutter as bad in dunegon or raid so i can still reliably tank. Please fix blizz.

Cheers,

Ergo

I tried lowering sound channels and cache but it made the sound effects in dungeons sound like absolute trash. And the stutter was still there just less.

Is it really going to take 4 months to fix this issue? How do we not have enough information at this point?

At least your game is smooth with no issues when you have sound off.

Streaming music nonstop isnt ideal though. And without sound effects I gotta pay extra attention to dungeon mechs in keys. Def a downside. Really want a fix ASAP blizzard. Been here going on the 4th month now. I want to leave…

I guess ill pay for my sub with gold instead of money. I really dont want to throw more money at blizz while they ignore this issue…

6 Likes

Thanks pawg, I finally took your advice and one of the bios’s got bricked because the power went out midway through the update.

Anyway 7 hours later once power was restored I fixed that, power went out again after that, and I finally got to play a few minutes ago and immediately had stuttering, so after all that it still hasn’t fixed a damn thing.

Still no blizz update

Pretty sure you’re just trolling, but Blizzard could back this up because your HWID, or other unique hardware identifiers, would be different now and the client would be able to see that and report that back to them.

That’s just it though, most people on lower hardware aren’t having issues. In some CPU bound situation, frame dips from 60 to 55 are negligible vs some overkill GPU like a 4090 dropping from 200fps to 55fps in a city around dozens of players.

These are the kinds of specs that most game developers build a game around:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
If they had a section for refresh rate, you’d see something like 85% of people are still on 60hz.

In most situations, until devs see a significant overall hardware increase, they aren’t going to really bend over backwards trying to tweak a game engine for the <5% of players that want to spend thousands of dollars on hardware to play an MMO at more than 100fps, even though there’s next to no advantage in doing so and 95% of players can’t even distinguish the difference between 100 and 200fps in an A/B double-blind test environment.

1 Like

It’s no wonder people don’t SEE any difference if it’s a blind test. Besides 60fps is pretty low by 2022 standards, even consoles have moved past that for many of their games. If enough people complain, maybe Blizzard will fix their old, bad engine and code.

I know you’re joking, but the whole point of an A/B double-blind test is to prevent you from knowing which is which and it prevents me from knowing as well, so that it can’t be claimed that I’ve tampered with the testing or results.

If I had a test setup that randomly picked between frame limits, assuming there is a gsync/freesync monitor with a high enough refresh rate and that controls were locked down so that you can’t view the actual FPS or refresh rate in any way, let you play for a bit and then asked you what FPS you were playing at, you’d guess correctly 50% of the time in an A/B test above 100-120fps, which means you’re coin-toss guessing. I’ve done this test multiple times over the years and on a wide range of gamers, from casuals to top percentile FPS gamers. All of them “failed” beyond 120fps. EDIT: oh and the options would be like “is this 100 or 165” “120 or 240” and so on

They are just now starting to open up the options for it, sure. But I promise you that between 75-85% of all people playing video games are still doing it on 60 to 75hz screens. 60hz for TVs and 75hz are barely just now starting to become the new norm on the PC market. IIRC, Windows will still default them to 60hz and most people don’t even know to change that. Even this 165hz monitor defaulted to 60hz and sometimes does after driver changes.

1 Like

I’m also starting to think that Pawg is just trolling.

He just agreed that it’s the engine itself that is causing 150fps dips on higher-end hardware. With that being the case, how well do you think those majority of players on lower-end hardware are handling it? lol

3 Likes

Indeed, lower end hardware isn’t doing great as I’ve tested those also capped at 60fps. I’m kinda shocked how badly the game runs now compared to before Df hit.

Now, the difference between 60-100 fps is greater than 100-144 fps for example, but still a difference most would notice, specially with monitors side by side.

Just fine, as I’ve already explained… Going from like 60fps to 55 is nothing. A game engine is only ever going to be as fast as it’s slowest link. The CPU requirements increased with this expansion and the CPU bottlenecking may or may not be intended, but so far, Blizzard has given no indication otherwise. But this is in reference to the overall frame rate drops, when surrounded by dozens of players and NPCs, and not stuttering. The stuttering issues are still mostly on the user end of things like their hardware, drivers, background/security softwares, etc.

Runs fine on the six PCs/laptops that I’ve physically tested it out on. Frame time graphs show a flat line when I lock them to 60. The only way I could get it to go below 60 was to put the distance sliders to 10 and turn RT on high, go to Org AH on Area 52 when there were 50+ players in view, everything else on high/ultra.

1 Like

That sounds like a dream, as I can’t even achieve flatline frame time whenever players are involved, with 4000 dollar PCs turned everything to low/off.

1 Like

How? This PC is super cheap and can hold this frame rate at slider 10, distance sliders on 8 and with RT on fair… https://imgur.com/a/hBZeLtZ even while using gamebar to record at 60fps+high quality (imgur compressed it more). This PC has a $75 CPU and $250 GPU… On another one of our PCs, with the same CPU and a GTX 1650, it can hold these same frame rates but on slider 7-8 and no RT(card doesn’t do RT). I suppose I can wait until later when there will be another dozen or two players around the AH and record a clip of that as well, but the engine can most certainly hold 60fps on the CPU side of things. This clip has dozens of NPCs and players around, so tons of animated meshes to bog down the CPU with.

1 Like

I still see spikes on the frame time graph, test it in Valdrakken.