Massive stutters with DF client

Oh, thanks for the info. I am using 11.3 then; resolving the crashes, texture flickering and screen flickering but making overall performance, stuttering and pop-ins worse.

What’s the difference between Directx12 and 11.3? Feature levels such as the shader pipeline?

I know—the performance is horrible, but I’ll take it over crashing in the middle of a key. :sob:

A lot of us have, but the new people coming into this thread, and he’s trying to “solve” their issue. When in reality he’s just throwing level 1 tech support at them and seeing it if it will stick. Trying to steer people away from him.

5 Likes

Basically, 12 can do even more than 11.3. You can look it up because it’s way too much to explain here and is way out of the scope of this thread.

The popins part is tied to the engine itself. You could sit at 200 locked FPS and the decorative/lower priority assets would still take time to pop in. Like I’ve stated already, there are probably some hard coded in timers/counters that determine when to load them in like “if the asset has been visible for at least 0.5 seconds or X number of frames, then load.” That way, when you’re zooming around at 30000 kph on a dragon, the engine doesn’t waste a bunch of time roasting the drives for assets that aren’t even going to get displayed in time before you’ve already zoomed past them.

A lot of the issues are that simple. A good chunk of people simply aren’t up to date with Windows and drivers, and have background or security softwares causing increased CPU load and conflicts. Even the blue posts have suggested things like this. Are you going to try to mock them and say they are just throwing around level 1 tech support to see if it will stick? Didn’t think so…

Again, the CPU and hardware requirements went up with the 10.0 client. WoW is a CPU bound game, put two and two together. Don’t expect 1:1 performance vs the 9.X client even in non-DF zones. Is it normal for WoW to redline its 4 threads in cities with dozens of players/npcs around you? Not 100% sure, but I am positive the devs are aware and they would know for sure if it was meant to be that way or not.

1 Like

The game was fine day before pre-patch went live. There might be something with rendering players/some npcs that’s different, because if I go to old zones and it’s empty, I get same fps as before Df.

Yes, like I said, don’t expect 1:1 performance from the 10.0 client in all legacy content situations. Changes were made that apply to the whole engine. It seems like it mostly affects the modern WoD=>DF characters and like I said a while back that there might be some kind of n vs logn or nlogn type change in the scaling of some kind of calculations being done. But all those character assets are far higher in polygons than older assets and probably contain more bones that need skinning, which magnifies the cost if you’ve made some sort of changes to the math that goes into handling the animations and whatnot.

1 Like

What you’re saying is Blizz Devs tried to stuff a V8 into a Fiat 500, and the players suffer the consequences?

Every single expansion has raised the hardware requirements of the game. Otherwise, we’d still be playing with 800Mhz CPUs, 64MB GPUs and 512MB ram lol…

1 Like

And every single time before I have never had issues. I think you should Pawgwalk outta here.

1 Like

This is your 112th post in this thread. You are thickheaded as it gets, and its careless and quite frankly stupid to be asking people to update BIOS considering the risks involved. Thats not the issue. Drivers are not the issue. THIS IS A WOW ISSUE ONLY.

Now if someone was having a issue IN ALL GAMES then yes, maybe a driver update or a bios update is the answer. BUT WHEN THE PROBLEM IS JUST WITH WOW ITSELF, you are suggesting the wrong things. You are irresponsible, careless, immature, and trollish. Just go away. Stop responding to every post like you freaking work here you delusional mental case.

EDIT Just start mass reporting this guy. Every time he trolls or is condescending, or suggesting freaking bios updates report him. At this point he is dangerous to peoples hardware.

4 Likes

I just heard back from a Blizzard GM for my open ticket, and they confirmed that the issue is not just an engine compatibility issue, but it is also driver issues between AMD, Nvidia, AND Microsoft. Apparently, one of the windows updates vs. driver updates messed with the OS level of things, and also caused incompatibilities between drivers. This doesn’t just stop at video cards, and sound cards could also be a part of the issue. Blizzard is encouraging customers to continue to report the issues with full system monitoring info, DXdiag, etc.

The rep told me point blank that there is no ETA on the issues being resolved, but to hang in there because everyone knows about the stutters, they are REAL, and be patient for Blizzard, MS, Nvidia, and AMD to get this thing under control.

What I have done to mitigate the issue was a myriad of things. Firstly, make sure your sound settings are synced with each other. Both the MB should be in-line with the channels; so, if you are pushing 128MB of buffer for the sounds, then your channels have to be 128 also. The settings are on the same page in the game settings menu. Next, reduce draw distance. I have my settings set to 8-9-9 from top to bottom. Finally, make sure your router is capable of pushing your bandwidth and internet speeds. Talk to your ISP. The upgrade to my 3 yr old router and modem combo definitely saw an increase in fidelity, and I no longer get throttled from my ISP. All of these tweaks together have mitigated the stalling issues to the point where I can play the game without cringing; however, the stalls and stutters are still there, but only to a point that is noticeable only if I am riding dragon mounts at 850% speed.

2 Likes

It’s kinda cheap of them to blame all of these, because I didn’t update anything the day before pre-patch hit. The ONLY thing different was patch number on WoW.

4 Likes

It’s one of the Windows updates, and it combined with some kind of incompatibility between OS and drivers which wasn’t noticeable until this game’s engine caused them to manifest in a weird way. It is possible the bugs were present before prepatch, but oddly enough I have seen the same issues in two other games well before this game was patched for DF. The thing now is that everyone can see the bugs present and are now communicating with each other on the issue.

Edit: Sometimes all it takes is one line of code to bring out a latent bug in operating systems. There was a huge one that came out during the Windows Vista era that affected sound cards iirc.

The game had stutter issues for like a month on Beta/PTR before it went live, make of that whatever you like. It’s definitely not hardware issues.

3 Likes

And this is like your 60th post saying this same crap.

This is a bannable offense, btw.

See:

1 Like

And yet, 5 different companies are pointing at Microsoft. The engine is an issue, but they couldn’t have predicted driver bugs if the OS was inherently bugged while they were writing the codes for drivers and game engines.

How come I have stutters on Linux and macOS too?

5 Likes

You have almost double my posts.

Not when its legit. You are legit trolling. You are legit causing issues with eveybody in this thread. You are suggesting RISKY BIOS UPDATES THAT ARE NOT NEEDED THAT CAN DAMAGE SOMEONES COMPUTER SYSTEM.

3 Likes

I can’t comment to the issues you are having on the other OSes. I can only relay the info that I have been told. I don’t own systems on the other OSes, so I can’t comment on that. I won’t apologize for Blizzard, but if the issues started with the base game on Windows platforms, then it’s entirely possible they replicated the issues through whatever code is also causing the issues with us on Windows. It’s also possible that whatever “innovations” Windows was trying that messed us up, are replicating the issues on other platforms.

To explain, most companies have to sync with eachother through various compatibilty coding, so that their respective OSes can communicate with eachother for logistics. I suspect that if other OSes have this issue too, and the engine to this game isn’t the whole problem, then there is a problem with whatever streamlining they tried to do across every OS for logistics. We already know enough about the problem to understand that it’s affecting streaming of data, so if we start there, it doesn’t take long to speculate that it could be network code related. At this point I can only speculate. I don’t know enough across the board to make a great assessment. The bottom line is that Blizzard says they’re working on it, and so do all the other driver writers – including Microsoft.

1 Like

Not everyone has reliable power m8.

Additionally, the bugged M$ update went out in August. The stuttering started in October with 10.0

Honestly, if you want to see him possible go away, report him for his name. I’m surprised he’s actually allowed to keep it, nor no one has reported it, giving it’s nature. /shrug

3 Likes