Massive stutters with DF client

I know. It’s cause the game was never intended to look this way. Vanilla probably looked like it had better stability almost 20 years ago lol… I definitely remember original TBC not having missing textures on mountain sides, regardless of how bad or limited in variety those texture tiles were/are. I bet you if I logged onto wrath right now, there wouldn’t be pop in like this. Only thing I can really conclude is that this was a big mistake that someone dropped the ball on and it’s now being put on the back burner so they can meet the quota of cramming more crap in per season. This is what happens when large companies don’t pay their equivalent of a few extra dollars for a bug spotting/fixing team. Horrible. I bet DF alpha, missing entire chunks of the expansion, didn’t have asset pop in and broken graphics settings this bad. I heard it all started to pop up a little after beta started and blizzard did nothing despite all the thousands of bug reports they probably got from players.

Like I’m in uldum right now doing nzoth stuff, and I’m having a hell of a time combing every square inch of the quest areas for certain enemies to find sun touched for writs because the pop in is sooooo bad here that these guys aren’t even appearing until I’m 10-15 yards away. That is ridiculous. Like what the hell. Before prepatch, I could see a dude from much further away and be able to find these guys without as much frustration.

This game is damn near unplayable. They need to prioritize this cause it’s not just “decorative assets” like some trolls would have people believe. This is primarily a problem with npcs, players, and enemies. Which is 100% in the area of playability.

I tried war mode the other day? Couldn’t even prepare myself against higher level alliance coming at me in some zones until I was dead cause the pop in is so bad. And clearly it wasn’t just me having it that bad because I could try to use the asset pop in to run far enough distance that seemed equal to when the enemy player popped in front of me? But my class was really slow. And I actually saw them on a mount frantically trying to comb around where they must have lost me until they found me again.

It’s so hilariously bad lol… Fix this broken garbage, blizzard. And do not try and tell me that this is not a problem or even that it’s a new feature like some people here LMAO

2 Likes

Swtor is horrible. Now there’s a game with devs who come up with really bad excuses for the asset pop in despite still having a draw distance slider in graphics setting that, 11 years later, still does absolutely nothing because it is completely broken, and still to this day the devs refuse to even remove the setting. That poor game. if only these games were just in better hands.

Pretty bad stuttering today, due to all the people online.

Fix draw distance pop in. Fix stutter. Fix game please.

2 Likes

Stutter has to partially just be CPU thread saturation, that’s why removing the audio can noticeably help it. It can probably be patched and optimized a spell but this game took a pretty clear spec hike.

WoW already was pushing it’s CPU utilization to the brink on a low thread count. Now they gave everyone an acrobatic 1000% speed mount. As much as I love the dragon riding (and desperately want a ground mount equivalent) it’s not hard to see the correlation there.

The actual lag like in Azure is probably just too many people, and they’ll likely deal with it the same way every big game does: wait until hype subsides some.

I kinda wish they’d do what Endwalker did and cap the servers more aggressively. As bad as those 2-3 hour log ins were, once you got in (and late at night) it was flawless.

Yeah, I’ve explained my theories on the low priority object popins likely being tied to dragonriding. Why choke up the CPU with a bunch of low priority detail assets that you’re just going to zoom past in 1.2 seconds? You can have a 100% locked frame rate, with no dips, and a lot of the decorative assets still pop in, but don’t cause any form of issues with frame time. I’ve also explained how they could fix the issue with a win-win by adding in a branch to the code that makes the streamlined popin system only apply to dragonriding/flying, while using the standard algorithms for regular traversal. But I do know that that kind of branching would be pretty low level, so it would likely cause a ton of massive headaches for devs with all the refactoring to work with all the other rendering and IO systems.

“Stutter has to partially just be CPU thread saturation, that’s why removing the audio can noticeably help it. It can probably be patched and optimized a spell but this game took a pretty clear spec hike.”

That doesn’t explain why the stuttering is so bad in battlegrounds; 10-15 year old environments with some of the lowest amount of graphic assets in the game. The microstuttering that exists isn’t the same as the fps drops that people are experiencing in Valdrakken (which would be attributed to your theory).

There clearly seems to be something wrong with the audio itself, and also related to dealing with players from different servers, ESPECIALLY when people die in combat from different servers.

1 Like

You’re forgetting the fancy player characters. A huge chunk of WoW’s CPU load comes from the animation of the character meshes.

It’s the players. You can die in Valdrakken and check fps/cpu usage as a spirit. It’s night and day difference.

1 Like

HOW is there no fix for this??? The game is unplayable in dungeons and raids for me

1 Like

It’s bad again since S1 update.

My game freezes anytime it has to either go to a loading screen, or do any movement in general. How can not even Support answer?

So how does that explain the microstutters upon the characters dying, rather than being loaded in? Shouldn’t it be the opposite?

Trying to come back and play but dam the game just doesn’t perform well these days … which is a real shame it’s fun when it actually runs well… It’s all useless if it stutters and lags every time you try to enjoy it.

3 Likes

Sub has about 5 days wont be resubbing

2 Likes

Despite the 100 or so posts pawg has posted, each one exceptionally long and trying to vibe as knowledge, he hasn’t actually explained anything. So. I really wouldn’t put too much stock into the things that dude says if I were you because Blizzard reps are already incompetent and unhelpful enough. Don’t need an even less unhelpful and incompetent person on top of them, behaving as if they’re an actual dev for this game. Dude doesn’t even work there. He’s some guy in his shorts enjoying this game at it’s lowest point of quality in history, and telling everyone they’re crazy and that it’s their PCs that are causing the problem.

2 Likes

Yep. Mine runs out in 6 days and between the horrendous asset pop and other graphics/performance problems, that make this game look like a pre alpha early access steam game with absolutely no roadmap whatsoever for graphics quality improvements at least? I’ve bout had it. Done. Done until they want to bring the graphics and performance, back to how it was even 1 day before 10.0 prepatch phase 1. You do that blizz, you get my sub back. If you don’t show any effort for the next little while here, I want a refund on top of that. Tired of this. This what you get for a game you DONT pay $15 every month for. Unacceptable.

I still think this is a network issue. The reason I say that is when I play early in the mornings I get very smooth game play, but when I play in the evenings I get alot of hitching. I have limited my fps to 85fps to reduce any bottlenecks and still get the same results. I have no lag issues as my ping is always 32home/35world. Specs below.

AMD 5900x
32G DDR 3200
Rtx 3060ti latest drivers
Nvme 1tb samsung 980pro
Seasonic platinum 850w
Msi b550 tomahawk

I never really peg my specs unless I enable MSAA so I just use CMAA instead. I think it has to do with how crowded the servers are and how many shards are needed to support the increased load. Like I said previously its not game breaking but it does break the immersion.

1 Like

Also having this issue. Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070.

Right after the Dragonflight pre-patch, I had massive stuttering issues, but I was able to fix it with a quick line in the config file: SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0”

That workaround was fine up until this past Tuesday (Dec 12) update. Now it’s stuttering again like crazy.

1 Like

I can’t believe I live this rent free in someone’s head… It’s kind of creepy.

They hotfixed that like a month ago. I don’t think they allowed users to change it anymore, so it doesn’t matter if you try to set it to 1 or 0, it still does the same under the hood.