Massive stutters with DF client

I think there is a very real element of truth to this statement. I mean, unless the framerate drops consistently and for long periods of time to 10 or less, most “gamers” I know, just ignore it and keep on playing.

True. Look how long console players were stuck with 30 fps because the hardware couldn’t do 60 fps consistently.

That’s a very real possibility. Their engine was never designed to deal with 900% movement speed. I suspect the changes they needed to make to support this feature introduced other issues that they either don’t know how to fix or are just hoping people will not notice and move on.

3 Likes

Yes I saw that (over a month ago) and the issues have not improved whatsoever in that 4-5 week period (which is a full month’s sub). There have been over 600 posts in this thread since blizzard posted that response.

When I asked for a reply, I wanted a more recent reply that possibly might have some sort of ETA on a fix.

This previous reply just says “ we’re aware of the issue but have no idea how to fix it.”

Has there been any update on this?

This! I received a beta invitation for the first time in Dragonflight. The moment i loged in i knew something was wrong and just hoped they wouldn’t deliver the game like that.

Since the launch i’ve been forcing myself to keep playing trying to not fall behind my guildmates in gear and it wasn’t a fun experience, spent more time looking for a solution than actually playing the game.

At this point i just think we are a very little niche and that they will not bother spending resources to resolve our problem.

3 Likes

I made a post on reddit (in a thread about FPS problems) a few hours ago saying the same thing!

And yeah, I’m starting to think that this is the new normal. If a large portion of the playerbase is ignorant of what they can or should expect performance-wise, then Blizzard’s almost utter silence on this particular problem makes sense. Why fix a problem when the players are too dumb to realize there is a problem?

Still, this thread is enormous and a part of me wants to believe that if we can keep this train rolling, they’ll be forced to fix the problem that they friggin’ created the day the DF pre-patch was released.

Its true most people do not care about the stutter. Casual players, LFR players, could really care less about a split second of stutters here and there.

But people that are doing 15+ keys, high end arena rating climbers, RBG players, this kind of stuff drives us crazy. We notice, and are quite annoyed by it. It takes our attention away from what we need to pay attention to. I cannot state just how annoying this is for me personally…

And yes, I expect tip top performance in this game. It is what I pay monthly for. This should be the top of the food chain type of game, and it feels like we got the KMART version instead from a performance viewpoint…

5 Likes

The useless “help” from blues and trolls doesn’t make it better either, “Df is just using more resources blah blah”. I tested in other games to get a similar performance drop of what we’ve seen between Sl and Df (fps wise, no other games stutters), and I had to up the resolution from 1440p to 8k to achieve that. Poor people trying to update bios, change hardware, reinstall OS etc, all for nothing.

And yeah, another week and no fix or response.

game performance feels like trash since DF pre patch with rtx 3070 ti amd x5800

Meanwhile, playing Resident Evil Village on high settings at 1080p 60fps
My computer must be too old for WoW

4 Likes

Some issues like this can take months to years to actually be resolved. Look how long it took Nvidia to fix the asset flickering… no joke, like a year and a half… Only to recently mess it up again on some configurations. MPO is still broken as hell on both Nvidia and AMD and that’s been an issue for a long time now, but they are kind of at the mercy of Microsoft to fully fix the issue on both ends.

Point is, some things take time. As long as the bulk majority of users aren’t bothered by it, Microsoft isn’t going to rush to cater the top 10% of configurations. They are faaaaaaar more concerned with potentially creating more security exploit holes, through things like the DWM and DX12, which they recently had to correct some issues with.

You mean a game with fixed load screens and where the engine knows exactly what fixed assets it’s going to need and compile?

1 Like

Proceeds to play Final Fantasy 14 with no stutters, frame drops but no stutters

1 Like

well that’s an easy fix then… just unsub til the problem gets fixed next year and play the other games that run perfectly on my PC

thanks for the heads up, have a lovely evening.

Yes, massive frame drops. Also, plenty of people are playing WoW with no stutters. I’ve showcased this multiple times now. Even cleared the driver shader cache to prove it. See my post about it for more details(the frame time graph is from 0-50ms btw):

More power too you, good luck!

how on earth is this not a top post?

i9 12900k
32gb ram
rx 6900 xt 16gb

vsync is off
fps cap is off

25% gpu and cpu usage in all the new content regardless of the number of people. infact, the only place that works as intended is the Empyrean Domain arena which is hilarious because in shadowlands that was the only place that had low GPU usage.

1 Like

I am late to joining this conversation. Anyway, I took a break just before Christmas, to go on holiday. Before that time everything worked fine 100fps at a minimum and usually more than that. I came back from holiday on Jan 1 and my FPS was down to 15 or less. I reset my all my interface options, that fixed it.
After today’s restart I had to do it again. Not sure what is happening. Hope this gets sorted soon, I hate having to set up the few addons I have every time after interface reset.

Are your graphic drivers up to date? Have you done a clean install?

I feel the same way. It’s mind-blowing, 20 years later the game decides to run like crap and… crickets.

5 Likes

NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency Mode Coming in Dragonflight Patch 10.0.5 - Wowhead News

On retail I have activated LowLatencyMode in config, but I really can’t tell if it works or not. Assume not and it will now actually work, doubt it will remove the stutters tho.

1 Like

doubt it, anti lag stuff didn’t do jack, when i was running it, I don’t think NVIDIA’s won’t be any better. It’s the game engine. anyway I let my sub ran out, so only forums i can post are here now, as i’m checking back every few days.

2 Likes

They appear to have made some changes to the rendering engine on the PTR vs Live. Seems like the PTR will use more GPU than live does(made sure that I wasn’t using the new reflex stuff). Here’s two aligned screenshots taken in the exact same position/location from a copied character. The frame rates are identical, but I’ve got a feeling that if I test areas with more CPU bottlenecking, the PTR client might pull ahead a little bit more:

PTR:
https://imgur.com/QevKxS6
Live:
https://imgur.com/c5wFrNq

I double checked all of the settings to make sure it was a 1:1 test and I double checked my AMD control panel to make sure both clients had identical profile setups. Game is on slider 10 with distance sliders dropped down to 8 and RT on fair.

The PTR engine is different from the Live version, always has been for testing purposes. That’s why there will never be 1:1 identical performance. Since they added Reflex how hard could it be to add DLSS or FSR 2.2?

Edit: the stuttering in Valdrakken is actually worse on PTR, even with no players around.

2 Likes