Mass Reporting

As did I.

I guess I’m not gonna go any further in this thread because I kinda have to second guess every sentence now, and think of alternate meanings for what was said.

Which is completely and utterly futile, LOL.

/shrug

1 Like

Perhaps I shouldn’t have replied at you I assumed you would have put together that a better solution wouldn’t be to benefit you as you already have the expected resolution. (as you have reiterated prior)

It would be for those that get targeted. LFG in retail has been non-existent in functionality since at least legion. Which I just realized your forum characters are not classic, which means the context of the situation may have completely missed the audience here.

What does Classic vs. Retail have anything to do with how the reporting system works? As an MVP, this is my posting character and has been since long before Classic was even a gleam in anyone’s eyes. I’ve been posting on this character since at least TBC if not just before it launched and I first posted on the forums.

3 Likes

Not the reporting system, but how effective the triggered event is. In Classic LFG chat is pretty much the center piece to everything. Retail i’ve hardly ever used it.( i’m only recalling legion, which is why I mentioned it)

This is what Perl is saying to you. In all of their years on the forums (and mine), we have certainly seen tons of complaints about it. It is exceedingly rare that those complaints are completely true. People can complain and try to lean on “mass reporting” all they want, but it usually (almost always) turns out that the player did break the rules, even if they don’t think what they said was a violation.

This is your opinion, and in your own words, it is based on your one personal experience. That is not an actionable sample set to arrive at any kind of informed opinion.

I believe you mean “outlier”, and yes. That’s correct. You do not make wholesale changes based on occasional outliers.

However you ant to see it improved, it does nothing in here. Post in the appropriate forum for the subject matter, with General probably being your best choice.

But I will warn you, for all the consternation about this, no one has ever been able to articulate anything better that wouldn’t be abused worse. That’s not to say a better solution doesn’t exist; just that everyone says there should be something better, but no one can offer anything substantial.

5 Likes

It was never meant to be a global Trade/Barrens chat. People have been getting sanctioned more and more, as well as they should be, for all the excess chatter. And, it only takes a single report to flag up a GM review.

LFG is …wait for it now… a channel to look for people to fill groups. Not guild adverts, not boosting services, not jokes or politics. Just because they used to let that behavior slide does not mean it’s okay or allowed. They’re cracking down on rules across the board. Players are sick of the spam chatter where it doesn’t belong and are rightfully reporting it. And people are rightfully getting sanctioned for it.

7 Likes

Players get hung up on mass-reporting, possibly because of what the streamers have done. Spam generally requires reports from a number of other players, but chat violations don’t. Action can happen on a chat violation from a single report. With chat violations it either follows the chat rules or it doesn’t. All multiple reports do is bring it to the front of the queue.

5 Likes

imagine taking out the random dungeon finder to create more interaction…then literally muting and banning people for chatting. You can’t make this stuff up.

1 Like

Not specifically at you, but in general based on your post:

1. It’s fellow players not Blizzard that cause the squelch to be applied.
  2. Whoever gets a warning might need take a step back and look at what is being said and how often. Save “Barrens chat” for your friend group or guild. Don’t participate in body-part spam. Leave real-life topics (like politics) out of the game. Don’t post too frequently. If someone else is spamming, maybe wait to post. You could get reported while other players are reporting the spammer(s).

It’s because of streamers that players know that the right-click report options do work. It has made them more likely to actually use them. Yes, that means some use it to harass/abuse/torment other players. Others might use it instead of “ignore”. That is why if someone gets squelched Blizzard tries to address it as fast as possible. Unfortunately with a large influx of players there is also a large influx of reports. That makes the response to the squelches slower than is wanted.

5 Likes

He was actually suspended and made a whole thread about it.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/bans-not-mutes-being-handed-out-for-chatting-in-lfg/1324440

Then decided to just bump lots of threads here about the same thing.

I think he is not aware that they found Silences to not be very effective and now Suspend people for chat infractions.

2 Likes

i’m fully aware…that’s the hilarious part about it. Chatting used to be fine in WoW, yes even in trade/lfg/local/general. It didn’t matter where as long as you weren’t spamming or being vulgar/racist etc. That was the appeal for lots of us. You could log in and interact with people from around the world. Not anymore though, it’s more important to protect the “feelings” of a very vocal minority…same reason why /spit is gone and so are genders. It’s not that i don’t understand…it’s just that it’s such a farce i can barely believe it’s real sometimes.

The rules have not been changed. You can’t use profanity, insults, slurs, etc in WoW, and never could. Same goes with spamming, etc.

Enforcement is easier now because we have in game tools that capture name, server, chat channel, time, and logs.

I can see you have feelings about getting suspended though. Your fellow players reported you and they pay for the game too. Keep that in mind.

Yeah, if your point is to try to be abusive and insulting to folks, even a small group of them, that is not ok. Don’t do that.

10 Likes

… or sometimes the player base matures at a faster rate than some of the players…

9 Likes

you should work on your reading comprehension skills. You can get muted/banned for just chatting in LFG. Nothing else. Nothing toxic. Nothing insulting. Literally talking about the weather is enough.

Yes. Because it’s not there for chatting. It’s there for forming groups.

8 Likes

If by “muted” you mean squelched, yes, that could happen but it’s extremely rare as it requires reports from unique accounts to happen.

As for banned or silenced for talking about the weather, that simply doesn’t happen. If it did, then an appeal of the account action would easily have that overturned.

Let’s try not to spread misinformation here :wink:

6 Likes

oh you mean it would be lifted 8 days later when the ticket is finally answered? Jeez what a relief.

Actually, I mean that it would be very, VERY odd for a GM to suspend someone’s account just for talking about the weather and nothing else.

6 Likes

If your fellow players felt you were spamming, then yes, you can get reported and Silenced. LFG is not a chat channel and even if you don’t use bad words, if you are disruptive your fellow players may not want you doing it.

4 Likes

i watched a GM ban somebody live on stream simply for killing a streamer back in classic wow…so forgive me if i don’t believe it couldn’t happen.

1 Like