Mass Polymorph

Transforms all enemies within 10 yards into sheep, wandering around incapacitated for 1 min. While affected, the victims cannot take actions but will regenerate health very quickly. Damage will cancel the effect. 1 min CD.

New talent datamined. Yay! Finally arcane gets good and unique CC. Though, when I read it I kind of chuckled; seems a little OP.

Now all we need is Deep Freeze back for frost! Please, make it happen.

EDIT: to clarify, it seems like an arcane themed Frost Nova. Instant AoE, 10 yards around the mage. That’s very good, especially for arcane that doesn’t have a lot of DoT and deals AoE in that same range.

EDIT 2: The 1 min CD lines up with essentially PoM poly, that way PoM is kept exclusively for AB.

2 Likes

I am not so excited for that. For me it seems like possible Ring of Frost replacement in general tree and it makes me actually sad:

• Mass Polymorph works only on several kinds of creatures while RoF works against all. Druids are also immune to it in animal forms, so Arcane would have zero ways to CC them.
  • Mass Polymorph heals its targets, while RoF does not.
  • Mass Polymorph is castable and on Arcane school as well, so getting kicked on it will block normal Poly as well.
  • RoF creates a zone that can be kited around, Mass Polymorph does not.

There are only two upsides of Mass Poly over RoF - shorter cast time and no need for cover CC (as hopefully enemies will not be able to see its borders forming like they can with RoF).

As a result, if it is a choice node with Ring of Frost or a separate talent alongside it, it is a decent addition. If it is the RoF replacement in general tree, I would prefer Mass Poly getting removed and RoF kept in general tree.

1 Like

Why would they remove Ring of Frost? Most likely, you get both or they make it a choice node.

Mass Poly is a talent in general tree and it fits the same niche as RoF - mass incapacitate ability, so it could be Blizzard’s attempt to create a similar niche spell that fits the lore for all 3 specs (that all can cast normal Poly) and replace RoF with it.

However, if that is the case, that is not needed - they made a similar spec only ability Ring of Fire a general talent and Dragonflight would already ruin many barriers between different specs by making many spec specific abilities / talents general.

So, hopefully you are right and RoF / Mass Poly are a choice node or different talents in general tree. If not, Blizzard should make them so.

No one knows that for sure. Only speculation at this point.

Yes, similar, but non-targeted and arcane school.

For all we know, Mass poly is arcane only and RoF is frost only (or not even there). Or, the talents around Mass poly are all very good… or even, they could be PvP talents only.

All we know is there’s a new arcane spell in DF.

True. My answer was just a message to Blizzard team (if they actually read this forum) and only if they truly intend(ed) to replace Ring of Frost with this ability as a general AoE CC talent - it is less useable, removes the different school CC benefit and its CC healing is a massive downside, so please do not. If they intend(ed) to make it a choice node with Ring of Frost or a separate talent from the very beginning, all is well.

1 Like

10 yard range is the kicker here too

1 Like

Honestly, I have no idea how it would be that useful. 10y really is way too low, it breaks on damage and heals everything back to full, not to mention the restriction to only humanoid, beast and critter targets.

If they want to give us another CC option, I’d rather have [Deep Freeze] back and/or [Dragon’s Breath] available to all specs instead.

Well, historically rogue is fantastic in M+ for skipping packs. This could allow a mage some utility to skip a single pack, while rogue remains king with multiple packs. Same use case, different scenarios. I would be curious on how the “combat” factor will work or remain the same, as currently the mage needs to drop combat or the mobs pull.

It’s probably a pve/mythic+ oriented talent. Ring of Frost only lasts 8 seconds on mobs and triggers combat IIRC. Mass poly wouldn’t so it would be pretty useful in keys.

[Polymorph] still puts people in combat, so that won’t really happen.

[Greater Invisibility] Drops combat, kinda my point. if its intended use, perhaps that will be adjusted to QOL.
Edit - We can already do this currently, in two steps, it would be nice if it was just one.
Example:
[(1) HOW TO DO MYTHIC+ SKIPS! - 3:22 CC Skip

Is it within 10 yards of the target or 10 yards around the mage

Because a melee range poly seems kinda…. Not op to me :face_with_monocle:

it’s like a frost nova, but for arcane. Instant cast poly to multiple targets is very good. It also has 1 min CD. So, think of it as a PoM poly.

is it instant cast though? I thought it had the same cast time as normal poly. I can just see this ability (in a pvp setting), to double cross a melee team for example or peel quickly

I hope that 10 yds range is just a typo or incomplete tooltip.

Just imagine being forced to get in melee range to 2 melee to cross CC them and trying to cast it exposing Arcane school right within range of their (double) interrupt… Juking is possible, but they might just shred you in the process like war + ret with their CDs active (a moment when AoE CC might be the most needed to use).

so far, no cast time on the tooltip

and that’s probably the reason it’s instant

I just checked the tooltip, it says 1.7 cast

1 Like

No one wants CC in dungeons. Its been about mass pulling and aoe everything down. Giving us mass polymorph is just another useless spell in our toolkit. I only see mass polymorph being useful in battle grounds or 3v3. Just make mass polymorph a pvp talent that replaces the single target version, and remove the healing polymorph does it is outdated when everyone else has insta cast cc that dont heal the target.

1 Like

the heal is what makes Poly a unique type of CC. The only other CC similar enough to it is Fear, and that makes the target move so you can’t just as easily chain.

uff, that certainly makes it worse.