Mass effect is good

i played just the first mission so far and oh my god is this game so good. why tf havent i played it yet. anyone on here who hasnt tried it should.

1 Like

Which one did you start with? I can’t imagine 1 being good to get into, but 2 and 3 were great.

the first game obviously.

1 Like

ME 1 had an amazing story, but game play was wack imo.
Only goes up from there though

1 Like

I found that the first told the story better and offered a little more freedom, but the other two tended to be a little more fun to actually play. I could never really get much into non-Soldier setups outside of the first one, though, and I really couldn’t even begin to guess why.

There’s a pack that adds the ME2/3 assets into the first one for a visually improved experience. I never actually got around to trying it myself, though… installed it, ages ago, and haven’t put it back since my harddrive failed.

PS Delete/rename the landing/launching videos in all three, and the elevator videos in the latter two. Drastically improves load times (and makes moving around the Normandy II much better), since it won’t let you continue until the transition videos are done - even if it’s long since finished loading.

Me2 is good overall Me3 the gameplay is good but beware of the “ending” :skull: If you like Me1 you’ll defo like Me2 and Me3

Never played any of the ME games, but I got Andromeda during the last Steam sale.

Only played a few minutes, but seems decent.

Do NOT judge the rest of the series from Andromeda. From what I’ve heard the gameplay was OK, but the story, dialogue, and character interaction was completely screwed up by political correctness.

Plus it seems to have far more graphical glitches. Which I guess is to be expected, since it’s newer and all newer software seems to be faulty by design.

Mass Effect is definitely in my top 10 games of all time, and it was my favorite RPG until the Witcher 3 dethroned it. Just an absolute masterpiece as far as I’m concerned.

I felt the sequels really gutted some of the RPG elements of the game and turned it into a corridor shooter. All of them were still really great games though. They’re supposed to be releasing remasters in spring so I’ll definitely be playing them again.

Couldn’t stand Andromeda. I put in around 5 hours and every single part of it was terrible. Once I hit the open area I knew it was Dragon Age Inquisition 2.0 with tons of meaningless busy work. The story and characters weren’t good either.

i played some of it 3 years ago and hated it. but you know what after this im gonna go play it out of spite now.

2 Likes

What an odd reason for wanting to not enjoy yourself for a few hours. Not just not wanting to enjoy yourself, but actively wanting to have a bad time.

But, hey, you do you I guess.

Weren’t DAI and Andromeda the ones where BioWare, for whatever reason, decided to switch the ME and DA teams to work on the other one?

I’m not sure what the development process on those two games were. I know Andromeda had virtually none of the bioware team that made their great RPG’s working on it. DA:I was was 80% filler 20% story to me, just loads of fetch quests and go click objects on the map. Similar to how an Ubisoft game has hundreds of objectives on the map and 90% of them mean nothing.

In previous Bioware games those extras would have major impacts on the story. If you skipped certain quests or made certain choices while doing them, it would have major ramifications. Beyond that though the story used a Dragon Age 2 DLC boss as the new main villain. I don’t think a lot of people even bothered with the DLC for that game given how much of a letdown most people consider that game.

The story in DA:I was also finished up by DLC which left a bad taste in my mouth. You don’t get the real ending unless you play through all of it. That’s not a problem today when you can pick up the whole game+dlc for $10 or less but when you play it on launch it doesn’t feel good.

I could go on and on about my problems with modern Bioware games. They’re more or less dead to me. The last good games they made were Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 3. We’ve seen a string of mediocre games from Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition, Mass Effect Androma and Anthem.

They’ve hemorrhaged too much of the original Bioware talent since being acquired by EA. The company that made those really great RPG’s like KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, etc doesn’t exist any longer as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

I hate shooters and I have played all 3 Mass Effect games. Multiple times. It’s that good.

Bioware was by far the most popular RPG developer in the early 2010s. They fell from grace pretty quickly following their acquisition by EA, but not before they had published multiple masterpieces one after the other.

1 Like

The Mass Effect team from 1, 2, & 3 (aka Edmonton) moved onto Anthem (another non-winner). Mass Effect Andromeda was made by the Montreal team.

I actually like the story and characters from Dragon Age 2 over Origins (complete LoTR story rip off) but DA2 was rushed, looked it, and had other issues. I recommend DA2 WITH IT’S dlc as it’s still a solid RPG. Dragon Age Inquisition had better game play, a worse story, way too many repetitive quests, but it’s DLC was pretty good.

1 Like

I knew it was something along those lines. I’m just not invested in Bioware games anymore. They’ve had too many disappointments for me to care about anything other besides their remasters.

I like Draon Age 2 for what it was worth. I just agree with a lot of the complaints about the game. They reused the map in too many areas, the combat was changed significantly, and the game was much smaller and shorter as a whole.

I believe peoples opinions on games are related to their expectations. I paid $5 for DA2 years after it came out. If I was anticipating a sequel to origins and paid $60 on launch day my opinion might be different.

You might want to try out SW:TOR as well, some classes have very interesting stories with meaningful choices. I believe it’s the last game written by the original Bioware cast.

Yes it’s a dead MMO, but the story can now be played completely solo so you can ignore that, just play it as a single-player Bioware game and quit when you’ve had your fill. (Which is what I assume most people still playing it today are doing.)

I was the first 50 on Jedi Covenant. I loved that game so much and would still be playing if EA continued putting out real content and full sized expansions like WoW. Most people who play it today either like the PvP or simply like the cosmetics elements of the game like transmog and player housing.

The story is great though and can easily be played as a single player game like you said.

i played that game. its pretty good for what it is. kind of runs into the issue with a lot of mmos where its actively held back by being a multiplayer game.

UPDATE: i got to virmire. aside from the mako missions this seems to be the perfect rpg so far. cant wait to get to what people call the “good games”

I love the mass effect games. A remastered trilogy is coming this year btw. 1 is hard to go back to due to the combat system just being… less than ideal but 2 plays much better and most people see it as the best of the 3, personally my favorite is 3 as it cuts a lot of the tedium of scanning planets and improves the gameplay further over 2 and I enjoy the characters and story but thats just me.

The Mass Effect Trillogy is hands down my favorite video game and I am pumped at hints from BioWare of another one.