Manga - Current Reads & Recommendations

Share your latest reads or some of your favorite series.

To start, I’ve been reading through the hardcover editions of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Fullmetal Alchemist and several story collections by Junji Ito; including Tomie, Uzumaki, Gyo, Shiver, and Frankenstein.

I’ve also spent time reading through Vagabond (stuck in indefinite hiatus), Lone Wolf & Cub and Samurai Executioner. Oh, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which has waaay more story than the movie of it. The movie was only a third of the story.

I’m also interested in collecting Dragon Ball / Z and Gunnm, but only if they ever decide to uncensor them. Dragon Ball has a lot of art edits, Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita) has name swaps for no good reason other than to be “different” than the Japanese counterpart. The changes were made long ago, but are still kept around… And if you’re curious, I make a special case for JoJo’s due to all the legal trouble surrounding names in that series. That’s understandable, wouldn’t want to be sued into bankruptcy over a few copyrighted names.

Favorite series? Probably Berserk, JoJo’s is a very close 2nd.

Been reading MHA and Berserk. Got into manga from Hellsing back in 2016.

I highly recommend the short stories from Junji Ito. Uzumaki is a great read if you like fracked up psychological horror. His art-style is on point and he is a master of suspense!

Did someone say Uzumaki

:fox_face::fox_face::fox_face::fox_face::fox_face::fox_face::fox_face::fox_face::fox_face:

1 Like

Over the Years I’ve changed. I used to be an Anime Anti until I gave up on western comics and fell entranced by MHA and Akira. Those two were pillars, but I eventually abandoned MHA and my first attempt at HXH for One Piece which consumed me for the next 5 years! Then A year or so ago I discovered Jojo, Then Fist of the North Star and Fist of the Blue Sky. All three of course are masterworks for sure. Then 3 months ago I binge read all 1,400+ chapters of Baki in the course of a week and even read the last of Baki Dou (2018) while it was being released! I’m glad I gave manga a chance!
I watch all the animes of course, though HNK’s is riddled in filler, and SNK: Regenesis’ Anime I haven’t got to, and BAKI (The Second Part of Baki) was also riddled with horrid cgi and I didn’t like the part that much. OP, JOJO are of course my favorites. And I just finished watching Film Red like 5 times! MAGNIFICENT!
I tried the Manhwa Ravages of time, and tried the Mangas Yu Yu Hakusho, Seven Deadly Sins, Fairy Tail and Doctor Stone, but I dropped them all as they didn’t really hold my interest for long. But, I do want to try Jujustu Kaisen at some point!