Mandatory dailies wait what

I heard shadowlands would have less things to do for player power allowing you to enjoy stuff as you like. Also that it would be alt friendly.
Then whats up with the maw dailies awarding sockets on gear ?
those are tied to player power, require alot of time per week and are not alt friendly at all.

Can you be mad with me please ?

I mean, they’re annoying for mains. But since when do you need to min-max alts?! Your alts will be just fine without sockets on every gear slot. Honestly, if your alt wasn’t max level the first day after launch, you’re not in the crowd where your alt’s power level matters to that extent.

maybe you dont care about your alts player power but dont tell me "you’re not in the crowd where your alt’s power level matters to that extent.’’

if it matters to me, it matters to me.

Grand. Then start farming the Maw on your alt too, because clearly it matters enough to put in just as much effort as your main. If it’s that important to you to optimize your alts to that level, then it’s also important enough to put in the effort to do so.

Next, you’re going to be complaining that you also have to farm up all of that Soul Ash on alts to craft legendaries. They should just give those to alts for free. Or that you have to get anima on alts, or do the covenant campaign, or do your Renown weeklies. Or level.

Like, I have a crapload of alts as well (in fact, just hit level 60 on my second one tonight). But I also have a rather more rational perspective on the level of optimization my alts need. I’m not going to be running mythic raids or high keys on those alts, at least for a while. I won’t even be running heroic raids until my guild puts together an off-night alt run. So I don’t care one bit whether my alt has a full rack of sockets in his gear or not. I mean, I wouldn’t say no to it, but I certainly don’t care enough to do the Maw grind a second time. I doubt I’ll do much in Soul Ash grinding on most of my alts either, tbh, though the top few I’ll probably keep up on until they’ve gotten at least 1-2 Rank 4’s.

My issue here is really about daily content. (soul ash is weekly)

daily content for player power was gone a long time ago and should have remained that way, in my opinion. world quest gave us more than 24h.

Having to play the game isnt my issue here. the issue is that IF I DONT play the game for a day, i will always be missing some power because its gone forever, theres no catch up on it. that feeling is extremely bad to get, even if the power I missed wouldnt have been much useful in the end.

This “mandatory” daily content is clearly a mechanic made to create a habit in players to log in everyday. it is disgustingly obvious to me, or obviously disgusting, idk

What are you talking about? We’ve had world quests since Legion, and those have always awarded player power, if in no other way than AP. We’ve had emissaries since then too. We’ve had daily quests in nearly every patch since then, and most of those also awarded player power (ex. essences in 9.2, corruption resistence, and corrupted gear, in 9.3, Argus dailies unlocking and expanding the NLC, etc).

Dailies that reward player power have been a part of this game since like TBC (when they first made heroic instances, and put them on a daily lockout, waaaaay before queuing existed).

Yep. You’ve got to make the choice as to what is worth it. Just because it’s there doesn’t mean you must do it (I mean, unless you want to, but that’s your choice). If you need the game to stop you from doing something by literally not letting you, you may want to try on the concept of self-control.

It’s really simple: is the reward for activity X worth the effort and time needed to complete X?

For your main, the answer is probably, assuming you play in reasonably difficult content. For alts? Depends on what you do on your alts. If all you do is run WQs, maybe the odd mid-range key for the weekly vault, and maybe off-night normal or heroic raids, does it really matter if they have a bunch more sockets in their gear? Is it worth the effort?

That’s the question you have to ask yourself. This isn’t a “it’s there, thus I must do it” thing. This is a “it’s there, do I want to do it?” or “it’s there, is it worth the effort to do it?” thing.

This I think is where you’re confused. There’s nothing mandatory about it, unless you’re in content that actually demands that level of optimization. If your alt is not running progression mythic raids, higher M+ keys, or rating-pushing in arena or RBGs, there’s nothing even remotely “mandatory” about it.

Now, the daily content is, quite obviously, intended to habituate playing the game. You may find that deplorable, but that’s been a fact of MMOs for decades. In fact, WoW if anything is lighter about it. The entire point of dailies was to prevent you from grinding endlessly. It places a cap on the amount of progress you can make per day. Yes, that also comes with a relatively soft floor, if you want to optimize progression (but again, not mandatory, especially on alts). But the alternative in games before WoW was literally spending 14+ hours per day grinding, because it could always help you.

Heck, even the first few years of WoW were that way. Argent Crusade rep had no gating on it, nor did most other reps in Vanilla. It wasn’t until TBC that they came up with the concept of dailies, specifically to avoid the “must always be grinding” issue. It gave you a concrete checklist of things to do during the day and then you were done. That’s since expanded to weekly things as well.

Or would you prefer they go back to the old method, where you need 1000 times as much rep and Stygia to get anything, but there’s no cap on how long you can stay in the Maw? You could grind there day in and day out, and if you put your mind to it, hit Exalted with her in a day.

I even had a raider do that back in WotLK, she applied to the guild and hadn’t even started the Sons of Hodir rep grind (which was the only source of shoulder enchants in that expansion). Well, that rep had dailies, but it also had an ungated repeatable turn-in for tokens dropped from mobs in the zone. So she stayed up all night grinding and got exalted by the next day (ya, we accepted her).

On the other end, the alternative is for your alts to literally have nothing to do at all. Let’s say all of the daily-lockout activities were completely unnecessary, or in fact impossible, on alts. So…you log into your alts once a week and then ignore them.

Ya, that sounds fun.

she clearly bought the relics of ulduar off the AH, dont be fooled. the amount of relics it required to get from neutral to exalted wasnt farmable in a night without exploits

1 Like