Mandatory Bring Back Meta Post

Hey Blizz,

we do this every expansion. I have posted every expansion since Legion about this in some capacity. Bring back Meta for demo.

Have a good day.

5 Likes

I feel like summoning and managing a horde of demons feels more on brand from demonology than temporarily turning into a knock off demon hunter to throw some chaos waves around.

6 Likes

Channeling and embodying a giant demon feels more like demonology to me then being a pseudo imp-mother.

And lets face it, demon hunter is the knock off. Its fine, but demon hunters are more about agility and glaives then demonic power itself, and for what a meta lock would be they’re two incredibly distinct concepts. The literal only similarity is turning into a big demon, but one only does it temporarily while the other is just that all the time.

Throwing chaos waves and turning into a cool demon all the time sounds super neat.

7 Likes

I was referring to how demonology metamorphosis turned you into a shadowy version of Illidan. It was very obvious that the form was that of a demon hunter. Not a demon, but a demon hunter. I’m not sure if you were around to actually see it, but feel free to look it up if you weren’t.

Demon hunters on the other hand, actually get their powers from absorbing the essence of demons or something along those lines. It makes sense that they might be able to unleash more of that power periodically.

And I’m not saying that the two abilities were the same or that they can’t have two similar, I just don’t think metamorphosis was particularly on brand for warlocks given how the classes work.

3 Likes

No thank you. Everyone has a preference, but I never played Demo until the master summoner theme rework and have mained it pretty much since. Metamorphosis was bad, then it was broken good, then it was bad again before finally being removed as it should have been.

2 Likes

Calling for Meta to return is always a bad idea, people can get injured from facepalming so much.

I would swap back to maining Demo in an instant.
I am still boycotting the spec to this day because they took what I loved about it away.

2 Likes

I wasn’t, but have been playing SoD and enjoying the heck out of it. It might be a bit more Illidan referential in its stature, but it definitely feels very much in the wheel house of warlocks. Risky power, questionable process, threatening to destroy yourself if you’re not careful. The fate of Kanrethad ever on the horizon…feels super cool lol.

The idea of a master summoner seems fun, and is something I typically go for, but implementationally all that means in WoWs context is summoning a lot of imps and a handful of demon dogs occasionally. With one big summon (thats the same) every so often. Minor variations therein upon, but essentially just that. A master summoner doesn’t summon a lot of things, they summon a handful of VERY strong things.

Honestly personally, to me a lot of demonology’s kit makes more sense inside of destructions context. HoG summoning a meteor that brings demons with it (could even roll its effect of bringing imps inside of Rain of Fire), with Infernal being a bigger instance of the same thing. Demonbolt is more of a shadow focused Chaos bolt. Nether Portal is just Dimensional Rift by another name (thematically speaking).

Being a master summoner would make more sense to me if Aff lost Darkglare and Destro lost Infernal and they got wrapped inside of Demonology. If the summoning ability of all 3 specs are effectively the same, with Demo only really being able to summon more (not better, just more demons) then to me its not really a ‘master summoner’.

When I played demonology back when Metamorphosis was first added, I hated it. I loved the spell combinations of both shadow and fire as well as the felguard, but I much prefer the summoner playstyle of today.

2 Likes

Maybe Soul Harvester is the saving grace for some form of Metamorphosis to return?, It’s a long shot clearly but maybe.

Regardless it’s clear people still want this playstyle to return in some way or another it doesn’t have to be “Metamorphosis” exactly in the sense of a Darkened form of Illidan but Demons, particularly Dreadlords can/do posses people.

Soul Harvesters capstone could literally convert Demonic Tyrant/Darkglare into Demonic Possession.

• Demonic Possession, fuse your very Soul with Ulthalesh for 20/30 seconds taking the form of a Dreadlord (can be male/female depending on your gender), granting x abilities and whatever your heart desires.

Spending soul Shards extends the Duration or lowers the cd of Demonic Possession, pick your poison.

Reference to the Deadwind Harvester, Dreadlords are Demons that can posses people, brings back a flavour of playstyle that’s completely optional, don’t like it?, Diabolist and Hellcaller are still available for Demo and Afflic, literally just gives more player choice.

Like it’s honestly not hard to bring back and rebrand “Metamorphosis” into a viable playstyle unique to Warlocks. This is me with 5 minutes of thought I’m sure with more time clearly could make it better but just quickly spitballing.

Edit: in Reference to the title “Soul Harvester”, When Demonic Possession is activated as Demo you steal the souls of your Demons empowering yourself and as Afflic the more DoTs on an enemy empowers you or something.

I mean, precisely. I’m calling it Metamorphosis, but what I want is to channel demonic energies and turn into a big demon. Like, Dark Apotheosis would be acceptable.

1 Like

I say they should try and experiment with the option for demo locks to go big demon mode or just focus on summons. Or hell even both if you want

There has been moments afterall in the game where a demonology lock npc does go demon mode. Just need to change how it looks so it doesnt copy what the demon hunters stole

1 Like

I’d take a split talent with Tyrant, Meta or not, I liked Legion Demo more, since you felt like the Commander with the skull of a legendary summoner at your beck and call, devouring your demons’ life to empower your spells, but when Tyrant came out it was just. “Come forth Tyrant, lead my armies, go kill things in my name!” Rather then, “Sacrifice for me my minions, so that I might wreak havoc!”

Anywho, split talent would be Dark Apotheosis. I feel like thats still Warlock-enough to be its own thing. Choose to summon a Tyrant to empower your hordes, or become more like a demon yourself.

The talent to buff your Tyrant’s damage could also then maybe transform your abilities while Apotheosis’d to some of the flavor we had with Meta, but you know, different.

1 Like

I don’t think warlocks should have meta over demon hunters. Personally I disliked meta, and demonology in general, until it was reworked. Many won’t remember the long struggles demonology had being at the bottom of the pile in popularity and power until the rework. The only saving grace to demo during those years was the addition of meta, but that still doesn’t change my opinion.

However, I do feel it is unusual that we still don’t have the ranged meta form from WC3. Whilst this seems like a perfect concept for a third DH spec, Blizz appear unwilling to provide any third spec at all. Hence perhaps it could potentially be included as an animation or something that could be included with demonology. It feels like the concept should at least be used somewhere.

I suppose one of my other large complaints about Metamorphosis is the content that was around at the time. Many of the raid fights, particularly in WoD and places like Blackrock foundry had add cleave fights. You were absolutely shooting yourself in the foot and killing your dps by 25-50% in some instances if you weren’t playing demo. Transforming and using Chaos Wave to nuke incoming adds was necessary on some mythic fights. Well I guess you are never “forced” to do a specific spec, but if one spec is clearly head and shoulders above the others for half the bosses in a raid tier, you get the idea.

I still don’t think it fits the warlock theme, even if it is viewed as a fun mechanic. Maybe they could bring it back as a capstone talent in some way where instead of using a major cool down to buff your demons, you sacrifice your demons to buff yourself with demonic energy temporarily.

MoP demo and aff were so fun. I really miss the gameplay.

I really hope they do MoP classic. Legion Aff was super good too, super fun. I miss how warlock used to play. I do enjoy current demo (more in season 2 of df than now but still, it’s decently fun-ish).

1 Like