Managing two drives

I’m completely lost managing my computer. I have run out of space on main drive and know nothing about how to use second. I think I want to move windows to second and make it my boot. WoW is the priority… is this problematic? Is there an instructive site to guide me? Thank you in advance.

I’ll need more information about the drives to better understand why you want to move Windows to the second one. Like, are they SSDs? HDDs? How big are they? No matter where you put Windows, it’ll always be recognized as the primary drive.

Coming from someone who also juggles multiple drives, you can do it the way I do it. Assuming both drives are SSDs, put Windows on the smaller drive and make it exclusive just for it, and any apps needed for Windows, like drivers. You can then use the bigger drive to install your games and other apps because games and apps have gotten so bloated over the years. For WoW, in particular, you have to think about:

• New expansions
  • Patches
  • Mods
  • PTR installs, if you do that
  • Classic, if you do that

My WoW install is ~145GB, to give you an idea.

If you want to free up more space, you can also move your non-gaming-related data over too (Office docs, music, vids, songs, pics, etc.). Also, clear any temp files, and make sure your recycle bin is empty.

There may be a point that you’ve done all that already and you’re still low on space just from Windows alone. Then you will have to make the move to upgrade that drive too.

Windows is probably the most annoying thing to move TBH.

Mine only gets that big if I don’t clean out combat logs for a while (Retail, Beta, Cataclysm, PTR). I also found that you can shrink your install by deleting the wow/data/indices folder, then doing a scan/repair.

2 Likes

That’s exactly it. It has been years since I did all that.

A small part of what the OP states is why I normally just do a wipe and reinstall of my system about every 18 months.

Of course my system died two weeks ago so I’m just getting a new one this time around lol.

All my time putting everything I care about losing in external drives backed up to cloud vaults wih string passwords and two factor enabled makes it easy now. But getting to that point was a lot of work/time.

Nothing important is ever on a local drive and my new system will be set the same way.