Malefic Rapture isn't going anywhere (and it shouldn't)

I didn’t address your other points because they are moot as are all the “modern design” points I see thrown around. By modern design, we mean being bursty.

First of all, not every class has to be bursty. Niches make class fun and not all the same. Regardless, All these ads can be bursted down dropping UA, seeds, or by focusing malefic grasp just as well as rapture which requires just as much set up since you need to have 5 dots spinning and your MR upkeep drops when you switch targets. And if the ad dies so fast that you can’t even cast two spells, does a class really need to be designed around it?

Second, game-play should not be gimped or designed around mythic raiding since it only effects .001% of the population. If a spec is subpar on a fight, play another. That’s why lock has three.

Third, the “modern design” argument is really only a a thinly veiled front to excuse Blizz’s reluctance to put resources to balancing dot classes.

It’s been 4 years, like 9 patch cycles of affliction being f tier because of malefic rapture has proven impossible to tune, proven by SL season 1 being the only time it was good (because it was overtuned). Which is why MR love is the pinncale of irony because the MR camps arguments are all about how MR is needed to make affliction tunable. The only way to tune it like you want is to make it do all of our damage. It’s an objective failure and you are the minority for thinking it isn’t. It needs to go.

4 Likes

So you cant refute them.

No they cant. That playstyle of dots requires the dots to be on the target. On the high end that takes too much time which then requires others to carry you through it.

Incorrect. Not only should the classes be designed100% should be designed around the top 1%. You are also 100% incorrect about the number of people that participate in mythic raiding at ALL levels not just CE levels.

On top of that Mythic raiding was only two of the four examples I gave you.

Reality is you have zero concept of why MR is in t he game and because you dont do any relevant content you think its “thinly veiled”.

Aff is viable right now. The issue with Aff is that Demo has just been better.

Aff was also the top spec on Mythic Tindral.

you have a very aptly named character, snoze. An absolute snooze to argue with. And with the reading comprehension of someone fully asleep lol. by moot I mean you just describe the need for burst in all your tangents. You can focus ads on Nym just fine with a heavy dot spender coming out of SS and high priority targets would get melted by a 5 UA dump, or SS into MG. If you doubt your ability to do so in raid play demo or dest that fight.

You don’t understand game design better than most because you raid mythic causaly. Raiders gatekeeping feedback is so 2010’s.

4 Likes

Not my fault you can’t refute points.

Personal insults because again you can’t refute points

I’ll let you in on some info as you clearly have never done the fight since you have zero clue what you’re talking about.

The two side adds? Sure in heroic and below that’s fine.

In mythic where you have a set number of time to kill the THIRD add while also killing the first and second add is where it becomes a problem.

It always cracks me up when people that don’t have a clue what they are talking about give suggestions :joy:

You just lost what little credibility you had. There’s zero gatekeeping in this game. That’s just a buzz word bad players use to cope with not having the ability.

And yes mythic raiders usually do have a better understanding than heroic raiders considering the skill gap difference is head and tails different.

Heroic is super easy. There’s a reason there are mythic guilds and heroic guilds that overhear some entry level mythic bosses.

1 Like

whats crazy is that youd think given how divisive the POS Malefic rapture is, it would be stupid from a design standpoint to keep it in the game. if aff mains are hating it… then it should be scrapped and/or redone. AFF is a dot spec… why is it so hard to nail yet it was so easy for them to do it for Spriest… also things like psychic link make that spec 10x more enjoyable to play than Aff… seriously… whoever designed spriest needs to go over to warlock right now.

3 Likes

I miss the dot throttling from drain soul in WOD, smoothest game play for single target.

2 Likes

I am so glad you bring this point up Space: why is the argument that dots specs don’t work so affliction can’t be built around it, but if look over yonder at other specs we see half a dozen specs built with/around dots,

cough cough, balance druid, shadow priest, rogues (bleeds and poisons), feral (bleeds and dots again), UH DK ( disease based builds with or without festering wounds).

And why is it that if the argument is affliction has to have burst to be competitive has no one addressed the elephant in the room: NO ONE use MG with 1 dot. So if you need burst and you have to burn GCD casting dots/debuffs to get set up TO THEN burst is that not some 6-9 sec into setup before you start MR? How is that any different from a stand-alone dot spender like UA that deals it’s damage (the same amount of damage without the required setup) OVER THE SAME TIME as it would take to set up for MR? I just don’t get it.

2 Likes

A small minority of Aff mains are hating it.

Game shouldnt cater to bad players.

You mean spriest who isnt a dot spec anymore? 80% of their damage isnt from dots.

Which means all the locks crying about MR because Aff lock isnt “dot damage”

You are a prime example of why Blizz ignores these threads.

Like I already said, Spriest damage isnt even from their dots which wouldnt fix the people that dislike MRs main complaint.

Have you guys just not even looked at Hellcaller? You saw Rapture is still and thing and it’s time to get loud?

The whole hero tree is about big dots. Unless they make a massive whiff when tuning time comes around, I really don’t know what else you could ask for.

1 Like

Those specs main source of damage isnt dots which is what the main complaint agaisnt MR is.

Are so bad Feral is taken over them

Main source of damage isnt dots

Main source of damage isnt dots.

Main source of damage isnt dots.

Main damage isnt dots.

See the theme here?

As its already been explained multple times.

On Live.
You would have to put SL up on 2-5 targets then VT/SR/Seed

UA spender
You would have to put UA up on multiple targets then VT/SR/Seed

Which means instead of putting up an instant cast dot you are now putting UA up on multiple targets.

You are also ignoring the fact that MR uses the dots on your main target + the dots on your other targets to do damage versus UA dump would not.

You dont get it because you dont understand the spec.

I think you may have got information wrong on Shadow Priest. Especially in M+.

Even now top logs, Psychic Link, Shadow Apparitions, Devouring Plague, Vampiric Touch, Shadow Word: Pain are either DoTs or DoT effects (specifically Pyschic Link and Shadow Apparitions) are all the top damage abilities.

I’m not sure what Hard Casted abilities you may be referencing too, outside of Mind Blast which essentially is their only hard casted skill upfront damage and Mind Flay/Void Torrent being a channel (essentially a pseudo DoT).

What other main source of damage would be referring too?.

Even with high enough haste people are forgoing using Mind Games completely and Halo as it isn’t worth it.

Shadow Priest is definitely a DoT spec, I’d argue probably a better DoT spec then Affliction currently especially in M+, while Affliction in M+ has definitely taken a more upfront burst approach with Seed Spam, Shadow damage profile is more DoT based and made easier through Psychic Link + Apparitions which you could argue are passive DoTs that just happen through your basic rotation.

Especially more clear when you break down both through logs and seeing the damage.

I can’t say much on other specs, but Shadow Priest I do play.

5 Likes

I also play Shadow. Psychic link and apparitions are about as much of a dot as Rapture is.

Dots are also completely mindless for Shadow unless you’re going above 8 target pulls. It’s less of a dot spec and more of a direct damage caster that happens to put up dots without thinking about.

1 Like

I play spriest as well.

Not a dot. You are literally casting mind spike/mindblast for that damage.

Two dots.

Not a dot. Its an execite ability.

Literally all of psychic link damage is hard casted abilities.

Its def not a dot spec anymore than Sin rogue is a dot spec. It has two dots it puts up and the rest is casted or instant abilities.

^^^^^

Umm, maybe you mean Shadow Word: Death… Shadow Word: Pain is 1000% a DoT. I sort of think you meant death as you miss typed execute, but I didn’t even mention Shadow Word: Death.

I’m not gonna go into the breakdowns of what damage over time means, and if it has to be applied passively or activated through other means.

But one thing for certain it’s more a DoT class then current Affliction especially through logs and comparing both.

Affliction top damage and casted abilities are not DoTs… and in actual fact DoTs are a minor representation of Afflictions whole damage, Shadow is different even if you exclude Psychic Link and Apparitions (for your sake of argument).

3 Likes

I just did an Uldaman 9 and dots were ~60% of my overall damage. On the last boss, they were 65%.

Does the majority mean minor now?

2 Likes

quite a delusional take if you dont think spriest isnt dot centric… it does most of its damage lol i feel like you are just rage baiting people on the anti MR posts… which there are a lot. even youtubers are saying the ability should be removed. fact is the ability is cooked and needs to be replaced

3 Likes

What’s crazier is how undivisive hating malefic rapture is. Affliction is the worst performing spec in M+ as it has been or near the bottom for 4 years. It’s been either bottom lower quartile or the worst dps for raids for almost 4 years. It is one the least played specs in the game as evident in azeroth stats and wow logs numbers, especially in M+. Which is crazy because that’s what snoozer thinks we need MR for…to be the worst spec in the game in M+…great argument. The reddit posts asking devs to remove it get thousands of upvotes and comments as well as it is frequently the number one requested rework with DK and elemental shaman.

It’s literally just a handful of weirdos like those in this thread. Even if we ignore the numerous reasons why affliction should be reworked (the rest of the rotation is made hollow by MR, bursting down ads can be done with Soul swap + malefic grasp or UA dumps, the numerous spinning plates and tuning disasters that are needed to make MR kind of work etc.) the reality is, and this may be very hard to hear for the MR enjoyer, no one likes MR and no one is playing affliction because of it. That is why it should be changed. being weirdos of the forum isn’t going to fix that, sorry folks.

4 Likes

I don’t know. Looking at the changes in the War Within alpha, it seems to be working out for me just fine.

2 Likes

I did mean pain. Sorry I was inbetween pulls on Terros.

I know what DoT means.

I dont think you understand how link works.

It may appear in logs as a dot but youre literally hard casting for that damage.

^

If you look at Snozex posts across the warlock forums and actually look at the trend of what they argue you will find they “move the goal post” of the argument such that when you address what they say they move onto something else.

They don’t want to to compromise or find a middle-ground, they don’t want to be constructive and find solutions that would work for all parties involved. Every post with ideas or thought is shutdown with little, if ANY, room for finding a solution to make both sides happy.

It was even offered that maybe people/blizz could develop a way for those that want MR, and for those want to get AWAY from MR, could be developed and instead they state, paraphrasing, that it can’t be done: that people can’t have choices even if that choice that is not what “they” claim fits a damage profile.

It’s crazy right?? we could offer them MR as it is with all the bells and whistles for them to enjoy as they want and all we would ask is the “CHOICE” to have, EVEN SUBPAR, of just having an alternative to MR and the setup required to make it work effectively.

I would completely take an alternative EVEN if it was weaker in comparison and i know people who would gladly sign up for that choice between the two. They get their MR we get an alternative. But no, they don’t even consider that an option. it’s MR: End of story for them.

2 Likes