Making Solo Farming in Old Legacy Raids Less... Annoying?

Just to bring this back up and to touch on this point:

Is there a reason the quicker World Boss respawns you have introduced in the past few expansions has not been extended backward to MoP and WoD world bosses that people still kill weekly, usually on multiple toons, for the mounts they can drop? Having to wait 15 minutes for a boss to respawn sucks, when there’s multiple bosses we need to kill for farming.

On that note, this is from a popular person in the Secret Finders Discord:

Do you guys, as developers, genuinely think it’s okay that people can have 17,500 attempts on a mount and still not have it?

Most other modern MMOs have a guarantee - if you don’t loot something in like 100 attempts (I’m not saying 100 is the magic number, just using it as an example), you are guaranteed to loot it on your next kill. Why is something like this not being added to WoW? We aren’t asking for handouts, but we’re asking that our hard work have a guarantee payout if we put in a proportional amount of effort.

18 Likes

I would consider 17000 attempts hard work and get it when its guaranteed after a certain number of drops a handout.

1 Like

I’d agree with that, it’s the point of an RNG system.

I would not be opposed to increasing the spawn rate, but it should always be RNG.

1 Like

Hard Hard HARD disagree.

RNG is only fun to a certain degree.

Once you start reaching a certain point, it becomes tedious and actively discourages you from continuing.

17 Likes

And I would hard disagree with that. It’s not like more chances have a lower drop percentage. Sometimes you’re lucky, sometimes you arent.

Any time RNG is tied to cosmetics should be pure RNG.

Player power things, like legendaries, old azerite essences, etc should be what you’re suggesting, rng to a point then deterministic.

But cosmetics that have no effect on player power? You’ll get them eventually, but you’re never “discouraged” from continuing.

2 Likes

Id say that RNG like hearthstone is bad while cosmetics in WoW are pretty balanced. Legendary unlocks like in legion were bad but nothing tied to player power has been around like that for a while that I can directly think of besides TiTaNfORgInG

Yes. You are. You lose more and more hope as time goes on. People abandon their search because without an end in sight it is disheartening.

The big love rocket is a good example. Go back to February on the forums and note how many people said they gave up this year. Blizzard literally had to step in and say they will adjust things this coming year because so many people got disheartened.

In that case, are you also suggesting the remove the guaranteed drop from mythic mounts, since that would qualify as a handout? What about AotC? If you say no, just know you’re being a hypocrite.

There’s a very simple system they could do with pre-existing bad luck protection.

If a boss has a week lockout: 1% drop increase per kill. Guarantee at 100 kills, which is 1.9 years.

If a boss has a daily lockout: 0.1% drop increase per kill. Guarantee at 1000 kills, which is over 2 years.

If there is no lockout: 0.01% per kill. Guarantee at 10,000 kills, which is way more than anyone should have to farm for a single item.

These are just EXAMPLE NUMBERS just pointing out it’s very simple to add a guarantee without it being a handout. Because if people put in in the effort, that effort should bear fruit.

Putting in 1.9 years of work killing the same boss every single week is more than enough effort and hard work to justify rewarding that work with what they are after. Same with 2.7 years with a daily lockout.

By saying everything should remain RNG, you are DIRECTLY stating you believe hard work and effort have the chance of NEVER paying off. No.

17 Likes

And if you recall, even then I was saying not to change it. RNG is fine when it’s not tied to player power. Being unlucky is disheartening, sure. But you can always get it on the next run. I want to go in with the mindset of “next one for sure”, not " 32 more times and I can get this!"

No, I’m not. That’s not what any of this is about. This whole thread is about old raids. The mythic mount is fine because it’s tied to a challenge. It’s not a handout at all.

It is still a cosmetic.

What is a challenge for you does not equate to everyone else.

I consider killing sometime 17500 times more if a challenge than killing a heroic/mythic raid boss when it’s current.

You believe the opposite. However, I’m not trying to take away the guarantees you have for that challenge. You however, don’t want us to have the same courtesy extended to us.

That is textbook hypocrisy.

15 Likes

You’re not understanding me.

If something is a guaranteed drop, that’s cool. Regardless of what era it comes from. I have no problem, for example, with the Black & Twilight Drakes from Obsidian Sanctum which are 100% drop rate.

I have no problem with Mythic Jaina dropping Glacial Tidestorm at 100% chance during that patch, and it being nerfed afterwards. It’s guaranteed during current content to show a level of prestige and mastery over the game. You beat the raid on the hardest difficulty; here’s a cool reward.

I’m not being hypocritical, I’m saying RNG is good, and guaranteed is good, but something that is RNG should not be guaranteed after X number of attempts. RNG is RNG, Guaranteed is Guaranteed. Leave it at that.

1 Like

Hes 100% spot on. If you want it, earn it. If you gotta farm it, farm it. All these cosmetic things are not so important that they need to be given because you continue to try thats a handout thats unnecessary. If its a low drop its not ever going to be impossible.

The example of the reins of the heavenly cloud serpent is never something I farmed I think I have killed him 5 times outside of MoP? Got it from a unclaimed blackmarket box for 80k after buying maybe 20 boxes and getting nothing. I rolled those dice everytime and spent tons of gold buying boxes. Thats RNG no guarantee and I personally dont want to play a game where all the hard to get stuff is guaranteed after X number of tries thats boring as hell.

2 Likes

Hi, just wanted to bring this back up and add a question to hopefully get an answer to:

Has Blizzard changed their philosophy on when raids should be easily soloed?

When first implemented, the rule was “11 Levels above your level will apply a Legacy Buff to make soloing much easier.”

However, by this logic, we should have had a Legion Legacy Buff in Shadowlands.

(without the level squish, Shadowlands would’ve been 120-130. Legion was 100-110. So 11 levels would be 121, which is Shadowlands)

There was recently reports that Legion received a legacy buff at level 70, but a poster on the forum debunked this, it just ends up being what the new gear stats give you, and in turn doesn’t actually help you solo them any better.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/old-raid-scaling-test/1359831

Will we receive a proper Legion Legacy Buff for level 60 toons, and a BFA legacy buff at level 70? Or has your philosophy on when a raid should be soloed changed? Cause for a lot of people, soloing and farming old raids is the entire game for them, or a very large part of it.

There is no harm in letting us solo raids that there’s been an entire expansion (2-3 years) between.

Also, when a legacy buff is applied to BFA raids, people hope you will take into account not everyone wants to do the Legendary Cloak questline for N’zoth farming - so much like you do with certain bosses, Galakras, Hellfire Cannons, etc. Can you possibly remove the insta-mind control mechanic from the fight while legacy loot is active so the cloak isn’t required?

And just to add to it again - please find it in your hearts to make the skip quests account-wide for legacy raids. Hellfire Citadel in particular is annoying because you have two skip quests, instead of one.

11 Likes

These are the consequences of the upcoming 2nd wave of the pre patch.
Legion mob HP is increased by about 84,5% - for older xpacs it’s similar but most bosses die within GCDs. Already made a post about in on Beta. You’d need to raise the legacy factor to 15 to counterbalance it.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/legacy-contentraid-hp-is-still-overtuned/1377398

Yet comparing End-Tier dps at 60 to starting gear (greens) at 70 is always a really bad attempt of making a point. You lose a lot of borrowed power in this case and also a ton of rating percentages. Over the last 8 years I’ve grown tired of this specific aspect being completely dismissed.

3 Likes