Make the speech more varied

I have an idea, instead of listening to ourselves being called “CHAMPION” for a bazillion of times across azeroth, can’t blizzard scripted a more “distinct” distinction?

Such as :
“well done (title + Class)” - Well done Champion of the Frozen Waste
“Mighty (title + Talent)” - Mighty Furry Warrior
"Venerable (Specific class + Spec) - Venerable Holy Priest
“Pretty / Handsome (Class)” - Pretty Priest

I believe the possibilities are endless, certain encounter might get certain modified speech instead of the same generic “champion”

5 Likes

They could do this, but it would likely increase the size of every expansion and patch by several gigabytes. Voiceovers take up quite a bit of space.

For 5 lines? I think they could just call one of them randomly as a variable, no? And then just have 5 small sound files.

Or just adventurer or mercenary. In my opinion putting the player in a role such as champion or commander of the alliance/horde have been detrimental to the game in how blizzard have been managing how our character interact with the world, and have breed systems such as garrisons that didn’t help the game at all.

Or how they have to retcon class halls because you shouldn’t be the Highlord (or whatever high ranking commander each class hall have) in first place.

i want them to use text to speech to read names

i want anduin to switch to a robot voice and call me fluffybuns

1 Like

Well… It would be much easier for them to not make dialogue that doesn’t include your name or title, or whatever because their speech and dialogue doesn’t match due to it. So stupid to be called hero via speech when they said your name in text.

Though the only thing that doesn’t make sense is that they don’t call you by your class. There isn’t a lot of effort to do multiple lines when they refer you by your class…

I seem to get called “hero” a lot. Sometimes I would rather be a “heroine”, ya know?

Well… it shouldn’t be too hard to implement for scripted materials, all they gotta do is replace “player” with “something”

Spoken dialogue would probably command little more resources, but hardly impossible.

I’d love more distinct personalities for characters in general.

Orcs all act like “Orcs”.

Tauren all act like “Taruen”.

Belves all act like “Belves”.

Etc, etc etc.

Generally, the only exception to this is if the character is villainous in some way.

I’ve always felt like the sign of truly excellent character writing is if you can tell exactly who is speaking without being told who it is.

So for instance, put a bunch of quotes out on a table and a bunch of pictures of the characters they were spoken by. If you can match each quote to each character without any strong context clues (can’t have Thrall speaking about his time as Warchief or Jaina speaking about Theramore), you have written strong, distinct characters that really hold water.

I think if you put a bunch of Saurfang, Thrall, Eitrigg, Grom Hellscream, Doomhammer, Nazgrim, etc quotes together it would be incredibly hard to figure out who said what. They all have that one “orc” personality (for the most part) and they all speak very similarly.

Don’t just give them different looks and motivations. Make them different people.

+1 for correct usage of bazillion
So many people mispronounce it and say gazillion which is not a word.
It is bazillion, people!
It’s always been bazillion!