Make Beast Mastery the melee spec and Suvival range again

There is something atractive about fighting shoulder to shoulder (or wing :wink: ) with your pet, plus Beastial Wrath would look great, to me it also makes more sense, survival should have been kept as it was, being the spec that uses poisoned arrows, explosive ones, better traps, i don’t feel it in the spec fantasy it being melee, but on beast master class fantasy it makes more sense to me, you are a master of Beasts so you kinda learn how to be a beast so that you can tame Beasts.
Also gameplay those bombs survival use makes no sense, it’s like who hunts with a bomb?? and survival rotation is so weird because they can’t use the pet to deal most of their damage because that’s supposed to be BM thing.
Maybe it’s an unpopular opinion but it’s what i think should be done with the specs, it feels like blizz hasn’t decided what to do with hunters since legion.

46 Likes

How about we NOT ruin any more specs by completely changing their required combat positioning and mechanics. Bring back ranged Survival as a fourth spec and call it done. If you want to melee, play one of the many melee classes in the game.

The only reason hunters had melee abilities anyway was because ranged weapons had a minimum range in the past.

60 Likes

How about no!

21 Likes

Zandalari Troll Paladin telling BM Hunters to go melee?

This is obviously trolling. Not even worth getting angry.

13 Likes

Suggest you venture into the MM spec then, thats where old Survival is.

6 Likes

No, it isn’t

34 Likes

The current iteration of MM is no where close to what the old sv was.

32 Likes

Looking back I had to go to cata when SS and LnL was in survival, they moved them back in forth so much that yeah old survival had LnL and SS, snake traps which made it fun, I think the most part is LnL made it fun for me, which is a different load now.

Its not that Survival is bad, its just not fun. Aoe they are monsters.

If the people who want this ask and go about it nicely, and in a pleasant matter; then sure. This could work.

The main reason why i wouldn’t want this is because if they do the switch, that leaves us melee survival hunters at liberty of having our spec removed down the line. Its to much moving around, to much flip flopping. Much safer to just keep things as they are.

1 Like

“old survival” was virtually indistinguishable from MM aside from black arrow and explosive shot and it brought nothing different to the table thematically

4 Likes

To OP: No Hunter spec should be melee by default, period. At the very most it should be an optional BM subspec. It simply doesn’t have the audience to justify its own spec nor does it adhere to the class identity.

Yeah, it’s only missing just about every single iconic and enjoyable element of old SV and has baseline elements that are incompatible with the theme and playstyle of old SV, what gives?

/s

No, they didn’t get swapped around.

Both MM and SV had Serpent Sting up until WoD when they made it SV-exclusive. Yes, it was originally classified as a MM ability, but back in Vanilla every single ranged damage attack was classified as a MM ability because the whole concept of a spec was vastly different.

LnL was SV-only until they removed ranged SV.

Your tone policing still doesn’t work, by the way, even if you post from your Hunter.

Yeah, having your spec remove must suck. Tell me about it.

History has proven that the most safe choice is having all three Hunter specs as ranged.

“Aside from everything that was different, they were indistinguishable!”

Genius take.

No, they were not the same. One focused on long-range sniping, one focused on special munitions. If you are going to raise your spec differentiation standards to the point where MM and SV were too similar you also have to say that Arms and Fury Warrior were too close, or Destruction and Affliction Warlock, or Assassination and Subtlety Rogue.

24 Likes

Tbh beastmaster should have been melee in the first place. Rexaar is one of the most well known bm hunters and he uses duel wield melee.

19 Likes

You’re still the only one tone policing. You said you wanted me to post on my hunter then do a 180 and make it seem like that’s a bad them. You need to get the forums a break.

Cry me a river, bucko. Its two different situations. the Devs made the decision to change up survival, not the players. I didn’t see nor was aware of any player-movement to get a melee based survival. This is why your mis-aimed anger and bitterness is only working against you and your cause.

Obviously not considering ranged survival is in the trash. That’s where it will stay until you learn to act accordingly.

Exactly.

4 Likes

You’re right. There was none.
It was all Blizzard (devs).

Which kinda makes it even worse really.

I may not always agree with Bepples approach to discussions and arguments.

But no matter how you spinn it, ranged SV had a uniquely defined fantasy, and was in the exact same position as all other specs going into Legion.

If they (again devs) would have just bothered to take a bit of time to think about what could’ve been done to it, like how they reworked all other specs at the time.

Having said all that

Some claim that a 4th spec option for the Hunter class is not justified.
I answer: It’s precisely because of what they did to us and the class, it is exactly that which makes it justified to now do so. To add that extra spec to the class for those of us who loved it.

17 Likes

me: lists literally only 2 things
you:

calling 2 things “everything that was different” isn’t exactly helping your case lmao.

a “special munitions” hunter doesn’t even fit the theme of what a hunter should adhere to which is outdoorsmen-esque imagery, not explosive ammunition (better suited for an engineer/tinker type class) or dark magic arrows (better suited for a dark ranger). if it were up to me current melee survival wouldn’t have bombs either in fact I would have completely scrapped ranged survival entirely, made BM the fight-alongside-your-pet melee spec it always should have been, and called it a day.

there’s definitely a case there for fury and arms being too similar and fury has become the more dominate option by a wide margin with arms bringing nothing to the table currently and having little to no identity, I would scrap arms too honestly or revamp its theme entirely.

destruction and affliction are not even remotely similar though, one relies on hard casting demonic fire and the other is a shadowy dot spec. assassination and subtlety aren’t similar either, one is a poisoner spec and the other is a shadowy rogue that relies much more on stealth. the playstyle isn’t even remotely similar in the cases of both destro/aff and assassination/sub as well.

6 Likes

And

MM is the sniper/deadshot that relies on perfect aim, taking the time to hit that exact spot.
Meanwhile, RSV relied on enhancing ammunition and traps. Rather than focusing on the archery/aiming.

MM is the heavy hitter, hardcasting spec which provides big instant damage and burst.
RSV was set up for being about DoT and consistency.

In the modern game, you could differentiate the two even more. MM having almost nothing beyond the mere basics to do with pets.
RSV could cater to the Lone Wolf fantasy as well, but also have a few optional talents(read: optional) that allows for more pet control.

13 Likes

Obviously they were not the only 2 things. This does not help your stance. You are basically saying that if you ignore half the spec’s differences and dismiss the other half, it’s the same as MM. Grow up and stop being so immature.

https://i.imgur.com/kBVr5Uc.png

Repeat after me:

THE :clap: HUNTER :clap: IS :clap: A :clap: UNIQUE :clap: CLASS :clap: IN :clap: WORLD :clap: OF :clap: WARCRAFT :clap: BECAUSE :clap: IT :clap: IS :clap: PRIMARILY :clap: A :clap: RANGED :clap: ATTACKER

This is license to include any aspects of ranged weapon combat it damn well wants to. A utilitarian that uses things like explosives and poisons to get an edge actually fits a Hunter pretty well. It’s also explicit proof that a melee spec does NOT fit the Hunter class.

If it were up to you
 we’d be screwed, because frankly your proposals for the class are reprehensible. You want to make us a 2 spec class and make one of those a melee spec, thereby screwing us out of an untold amount of exploration into our identity and limiting the entire game to just ONE ranged weapon user? Are you out of your mind or are you seriously deliberately trying to make the class worse? I am honest-to-God leaning towards the latter so prove me wrong.

Or
 get this
 we could recognise that specs are not meant to be entirely separate classes and are in fact meant to explore a common foundational class and therefore it is not only natural but preferrable for them to share some aspects? You do realise that Hazzikostas himself has come out and said they went too far with spec differentiation in Legion and that’s become the commonly-accepted opinion on the forums? You’re pushing the losing position, at this point.

No one wants forum heroes like you talking about how their specs need to be deleted. You would make an awful class developer and we would all be much better off – you included – if you just stopped making suggestions about class design.

I know they are not that similar; I’m just exposing your ridiculous double-standards.

Destruction as Affliction are different because one hard-casts and one uses DoTs? The literal and exact same difference between ranged Survival and Marksmanship? You don’t say! Do you just have no self-awareness or what?

16 Likes

Ima take this as trolling

12 Likes

Uh, when wast BM ever a melee spec? I played it fairly often from vanilla to cata, and again during legion and bfa, and it was never a melee spec.

↑ This. When the game first came out, and for the first couple of expansions, hunters had a minimum range on their ranged weapon, so they were given a couple of “oh crap something is punching me in the face” abilities with their melee weapon to help out with the dead zone, which I believe was 10 yards.

Historically speaking, BM was about buffing your pet, MM was about buffing your weapon /debuffing the target (Hunter’s Mark, remember that ole dubuff?), and, if memory serves, Survival was about special munitions and traps like fire trap. All three were still ranged specs with a couple of melee abilities to help out if something was in the dead zone.

8 Likes

Beast Mastery a Melee spec: :thinking::thinking::thinking:
:joy::joy::joy: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like