[Main Thread] WoW Classic: not able to install - June 2023

Yeah that’s pretty crazy that they didn’t really seem to actually offer help. Hopefully they realize it’s on their end. We shouldn’t have to change all of these app permissions and remove things and whatnot in the first place.

Should be able to install the mac game from the mac launcher.

Thanks for submitting the ticket! Really hope someone sees all of this.

3 Likes

Ironically I just got a reply from WoW Support pointing me to that EU thread and the noise about privacy settings blah blah. None of this worked for me either.

I’m abandoning WoW for the moment and focusing on D4 on Series X. I have a proper PC gaming system on the way in the coming months and honestly I’ve never had a really kick-a$$ gaming-specific rig so I’m a touch excited. I was hoping Classic would run on this 2000+ USD piece of hardware (edit: mac hardware that I currently have) though it seems to be up to Blizzard now to fix the issue, whether they realize it yet or not. ¯(ツ)/¯

1 Like

I’ve tried just about everything in this and in the EU thread.

The thing that fixed it for me is giving full disk access to the agent. Agent app is not in the list, so you have to add it there manually.

1. Make sure battle.net is closed
  2. Go to System Preferences → Privacy & Security → Full Disk Access
  3. Click + button at the bottom (you may be prompted for the password)
  4. Find the agent app. Easiest way is to press CMD+SHIFT+G to get an omnibox and type in /Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent and press enter. Then select the Agent app in the directory.
  5. (optionally) Delete the World of Warcraft folder. I did that before re-launching Battle.net, not sure if relevant
  6. Start battle.net and install WOTLK classic. It should work
1 Like

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to chime in and let ya’ll know that we are looking into this on our end. I do not have an ETA or a permanent resolution but some folks have found a resolution by allowing the agent application full disk access. (This is usually needed for the OS to allow the agent to interact with the battle.net app itself and the game client in question. This is usually automatic so we are investigating why its not doing it for this client and what may be causing it)

Just hang tight. If we get any additional updates to the situation we will post them here.

3 Likes

Tried giving Battle.net app full disk access, that was easy. Finding Agent was a little harder, but did that too. Did not help. Classic still will not launch on Sonoma. Funny thing is that Retail works great! Classic Era will not launch either.

1 Like

not the same issue. This thread is about a patching issue, not an incompatibility with a beta OS. That will need a future patch to address

tried but not working. Let me provide some details that I noticed. When I started to download WOW retail, the initializing step was stuck at 84/660MB (not exactly 84 but around that value) and then it restarted a new initializing step, which created a new agent process. As of result, 4 agents’ processes are running and spending most of the CPU resources. And I tried to spin up a Windows 11 VM on my Mac and install WOW through the battle net app. The initializing step can go past the 84/660MB threshold and then finish the rest, then start downloading. I guess if on mac the initializing step can be finished, then the problem should be resolved.

1 Like

How do you do this?
Been trying to get retail installed for days and can’t …

1 Like

Went back to Ventura to get classic working again (from Sonoma) and then when classic and now retail wasn’t working, I started pulling my hair out. Disk and app access did not work for me either. Tried giving full read/write permissions as well to all accounts. Reinstalled MacOS 3 times, tried all of these suggestions before finding out it was widespread (oddly enough when you try searching on Google, none of the sort comes up)

Would be nice if Blizzard could post a warning so people don’t waste their evenings trying to fix something that they can’t…

1 Like

Yea I just tried doing what the CS said above with giving full disk access and it didn’t work. Still getting all these agents showing up in my activity monitor causing the M1 chip to get very hot while also getting the error “something broke”… this is getting frustrating to say the least

2 Likes

Just wanted to add my experience here. New M2 Mac mini. Couldn’t get Classic to install. Tried all the disk access things and no change. Was able to copy the game files from another computer and get into game yesterday. Now today, when trying to enter the game, the battle.net app says ‘update’ and when I hit that, it prompts me again for my password for Agent to make changes, then tells me that ‘We couldn’t access a folder. This is usually because you’re not logged in as an administrator.’ - but of course, I am logged in as an admin.

So I was able to get into game and play yesterday, but today I can’t again. Older non-apple-silicon Mac on the same network has no issues.

Happening to me too :frowning:

1 Like

Bumping to say that I’m still having this issue

I, too, am unable to install the latest (June 22, 2023) update due to the issue described above. I have tried updating to the latest version of MacOS and multiple attempts at reinstalling BattleNet app and WoW. Nothing works. As of this moment I have unsubbed, and pending resolution of this issue before my current sub truly expires, I do not intend to return. I see no point in paying for a game I CANNOT play due to no fault of my own. A non-informative and non-useful Blue post does nothing to convince me otherwise. I have played Blizzard/Warcraft off-and-on since 1997, but I may be done for good at this point.

1 Like

This happened as soon as I updated to 12.6.7. I was on 12.6.6 before I believe (possibly 12.6.5)

I noticed Agent 5 different instances open even after restarting the computer. Randomly closed a few that had very little network usage (visible in activity monitor)

There were a few Agent.apps in Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent/ - added all of these to full disk access, along with Battle.net. It opened for me just now, I think I just got lucky with which Agent.app I force closed in activity monitor

This worked for me if you have a pc somewhere available!

Making another post about the installer not working for Macs and not allowing us to play. It looks really bad at this point of being almost a week with only one vague blue post about this. Mean while you have paying subs that can’t play their game, and no one is coming forward with any details as to why or how this is happening.

Really dropping the ball on this…

1 Like

It’s not working for me either on m2 max macbook pro

1 Like

I was wondering if I have the same problem here. I was able to play many times before it started crashing. It wouldn’t run. Not responding it says. I tried the REPAIR option. ERROR. Uninstalled. Reinstalled. I was able to play a few runs before it happened again. I’m reinstalling it AGAIN.

MacBook Air M2 16MB…

At least you’re getting in… I can’t get past the battle.net app trying to update itself and causing issues before it even starts installing WoW