[Main Thread] Nvidia - Texture Flicker. Possibly caused by MSAA

So I ran into this issue again for the past month, and one trick I found to be super effective was to make the following graphic changes to my game settings:

• MSAA - Off
  • Multisample Alpha-Test - Off
  • Post-Process AA - None
  • Graphics API - DirectX 12 (could also do 11)
  • Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (other than “auto”)

Graphics Driver Version: 461.40 (1/26/21 release date)

When the game’s graphics card is set to “auto” I found that any asset that didn’t have a collision property to it (e.g. plants, grass) would rapidly swap from their intended colors to some absurd alphas… like a strobe light waiting to induce seizures for those who are sensitive to that kind of lighting effect.

I had to change my graphics card off of “auto” for all characters since it didn’t stick globally. Everything else did.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

thanks this one worked for me

I would like to add that manually selecting my video card fixed it for me as well. Instead of having it at auto.

I have been searching for this exact issue for some time now and got to this thread.
FWIW, the card selection trick did not do it for me. What did work for me (at least temporarily) is deselecting “triple buffering” but keeping everything else maxed out, including Ray tracing and DX12.

This is my system:
Gigabyte z390 Aurus Master
Geforce 2080Ti FE

2 Likes

After toggling a myriad of combinations of settings, my issue was resolved when I went into the Advanced section and changed the Graphics Card setting from ‘Auto Detect’ to ‘NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080’

2 Likes

Going to give this a try myself.
I’ve had the issue with the texture flickering, however it hasn’t bothered me enough to make a support post because its on and off, isn’t too intense, and goes away rather quickly. The flickering seems to intensify, for lack of a better word, in my case when alt-tabbing between Windows, particularly my internet browser, and WoW.

Can’t be it, i already have 3080 selected.
time of day seems important as well, depends on what effect is running.

this fixed it for me as well.

You’re the best!! This worked like a charm and perfect <3

My textures are still flickering ,with shadows off, and gpu selected. Can see it still on the sludfefist texture

I’m glad I found this thread, as your solution of setting the graphics card to my exact graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3070) worked to resolve this issue.

Prior to this, the flickering issue would happen most consistently in Ardenweald and Bastion, and especially in the Bastion Arena map. Most recently, it was the trees around Elysian Hold that were flickering for me today before found this thread. It is worth noting that it wasn’t just some trees–it was ALL the same type of tree model within a certain view distance that were flickering in the same way. From what I could tell, if they were rendered in the scene fully, they were flickering.

Lowering the Shadow Quality seem to reduce the issue for me somewhat in most areas, but was especially effective in the Bastion Arena map, where the columns on the center of the arena seemed to flicker.

I messed with the other settings on the right column of dropdowns where Shadow Quality is in, but they didn’t seen to make a huge difference, if any at all. I keep Ray Traced Shadows off for the extra FPS, but the flickering still happened with this feature on.

I’m running on the latest “Game Ready” drivers from NVIDIA as of a few days ago: 466.11. If developers need more information, please let me know. I’ll try to check this thread again in a few days.

Update: the flickering is back. This time, I observed it on the tree trunks in Revendreth around the area where the Stolen Missives quests happens. This happened even with the graphics card explicitly selected in the System settings. I haven’t seen it anywhere else yet however.

I kind of have a suspicion that having another program using graphics card at the same time as WoW could be contributing to this, but I haven’t been able to find evidence for or against this. Only reason I suspect this is because I remember having YouTube running in the background with MDI stuff today, and previously when I was streaming my gameplay on Discord.

This is a video I took when I was doing the world quests. I think at about 7 seconds in, you can see the flicker start to show up. I also try to mess around with a setting or two to see if it makes any better.

I did this on the fly in OBS, so apologies for the quality. It should look better if you download the video (though I understand not wanting to download strange files from the internet).

That. Right there. Thank you. Fixed my game. First time I’ve ever had this problem and only just this evening. wtf. again, thank you.

To anyone finding this post later, this is the proper fix. Switching your Graphics Card setting to whatever video card you have instead of Auto Detect fixed the issue instantly and permanently for me.

If you’re on drivers AFTER the 457 ones, it’s not a permanent fix, it’s the same as running /console gxrestart and the flicker will still come back eventually.

There’s a massive thread going on for this topic over at:

It’s supposedly going to be fixed in the next major driver release.

Hey guys, I might be on track with a “fix” for the texture flickering issue we’ve been plagued since BFA!

I noticed today that when the graphical glitches occur, the windows process called “Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation” (audiodg.exe) is using higher CPU usage than normal. After I killed that process (windows will instantly reload the process) the graphical glitches disappeared!

I think we need to investigate this further… Normally the audiodg.exe process uses something like 0.5% cpu, when I had the texture flickering bugs, it was using 16% cpu.

I messed with the cfg file and disabled a few things. This so far seems to have fixed the flickering for me while still being able to use DX12. DX11 for me was not a fix, the flickering was not as often but still present.
I can’t upload the cfg so I will put what I changed below.

SET raidGraphicsShadowQuality “0”
SET graphicsShadowQuality “0”
SET MSAAQuality “0,0”
SET graphicsSunshafts “0”
SET graphicsSSAO “0”
SET gxMaxFrameLatency “1”

Hope this helps anyone out.