[Main Thread] Nvidia - Texture Flicker. Possibly caused by MSAA

So glad I found this thread. I was seeing flickering on both my PC and my brand new laptop. Gonna downgrade to 457.30 as suggested. Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™ve not encountered any flickering. Nevertheless I rolled back to 457.51 drivers for another reason. That and I use CMAA.

Hi, Iā€™m having this issue only when on the FP flying into Bastion, texture flickering on land and rocks. I have an RTX2070 at version 461.09, DirectX 12. How do I roll back to a previous version? Will I see any other detriments by rolling back? Thank you!

You can search for all available drivers here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

Download. Install. Restart.

1 Like

So i found a solution which works for me and i have been able to reproduce it each time. If you go to Settings, Advanced, and Click on the graphics card drop down box and select it. Hit apply and the texture flickering will stop.

However I have to repeat this step each time i launch the game.

Hope it helpsā€¦

12 Likes

How bizarre. This seems to fix it for me as well.

It stalls the game for a few seconds, then continues on running perfectly well.

With the latest Nvidia drivers, it appears that ray-traced shadows are the issue for me. I have no overclocking or overheating issues, and have played around with AA and other graphics settings. Naturally reverting to DX11 will not allow you to use ray-tracing, so to say the issue is resolved by switching to DX11 isnā€™t accurate. Hopefully a future patch will resolve this.

1 Like

Hi everyone just wanted to share a fix that worked for me.
Trees and objects in world and on character screen were flickering for me. I only have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with up to date drivers. In advanced settings - Graphics Card i changed from auto detect to selecting my card. Had already tried turning off Ray Tracing Shadows and Anti-aliasing as well as turning down Shadow Quality.
This simple fix worked for me, hope it helps someone else!

Texture flickering seems especially bad in Ardenweald for me. nVidia driver version 460.89

Changing any number of settings fixes the issue for a moment, but it quickly reappears. Switching to DirectX 11 seems to fix the issue, but at the cost of FPS.

OK, it seems like selecting your own graphics card in Settings>Advanced does the trick. The annoying part if that you have to do this every time you log into the game. But whatā€™s incredible is that weā€™ve had this issue since mid last year and we have not heard from Customer Support since!!

Oh thank goodness I found this post.
I started getting crazy flickering since the last nVidia driver update, and switching from DirectX 12 to 11 immediately fixed the issue!
I remember 12 causing problems back in BfA as well, when people with nVidia cards would get random disconnects from poison pools in the Underrot, but switching to DirectX 11 fixed their problem.
Normally I have it set to 11, but I got a new computer a while ago and reinstalling wow apparently put it to default setting 12 and I didnā€™t even realise it was the one causing all the problems.

I just found this also. The flickering has been driving me crazy. I thought it was just me. I turned off the Anti-Aliasing. I saw zero difference in the picture, and when I play in a bit, I will find out if it works and will edit this.

edit Yes, turning off the anti-aliasing fixed the issue. I no longer see the flickering/flashing anywhere no matter which direction I turn. Also, I saw zero difference in the picture quality. It looked exactly the same and I run WoW on a 27" monitor 1080p.

Supposedly itā€™s an Nvidia issue, not WoW.

This issue only happens to me when playing wow. But I agree with you itā€™s an Nvidia driver issue. Nevertheless is affecting wow players and Customer Support goes dark on it for 6 months.

Could this same issue that causes flickering also cause ground spells to flicker then disappear? Iā€™ve been running into issues where the attacks certain NPCs do that leave a swirlie on the ground (you should probably move out of) disappear after a split second flicker.
Example of this is in Sanguine Depth, the big sentinel guys drop a swirlie under you before casting the spell 2 or 3 seconds later and shoving you upwards and KOing you. I see the swirlie, then it flickers, then disappears. Then I die.

I just tried this, In settings, advanced I turned off triple buffering. I then went to all the different zones and showed no flickering. I Still have DirectX 12 on and AA is on, I donā€™t remember what level.
Update: seemed to be temporary, after a while is started to flicker again.

Yeah tried this as well and like you worked for a bit then came back.

This is an nVidia issue and they have even acknowledged it specifically for Shadowlands on the nVidia forums. It is an ongoing issue that they have been working with Blizzard to try and resolve. So far, the only work-around for it is to roll back drivers to the 457.?? drivers on the graphics card.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been having the ā€œflickeringā€ issue for several months now. Tried everything listed in this thread. Any news yet?

Same, going back to 11 did the trick for me as well.