[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

Okay angry little guy let me educate you. This issue has been around since the start of BFA. Literally. Now some drivers / patches deal with this issue more than others.

Anyways this song and dance has been going on for years. Blizzard blames them, they blame blizzard, and spiderman meme continues.

This has literally been history repeating itself over and over for 2 + years. I get it’s frustrating…

Nvidia has already stated this is their fault and they’re working on it. There is chat on the official NVidia boards, on the /r/NVidia subreddit, and in the patch notes from a couple (maybe 3) of the newer drivers that still state its an issue.

This isn’t the Spider-Man meme, Blizzard did their part, users have done their part, now Nvidia needs to do theirs.

I’d recommend reading through some of this thread (yes, I understand its long) and you will find links to backup what the previous poster and now myself are trying tell you.

You can do some sort of NIP profile fix that is supposedly what the new drivers broke, there are a few people in this thread that have had success with that as well as post how to do it and links as well.

2 Likes

latest patch makes the outside entrance near sanguine depths = black screen, only can see UI lol

1 Like

Then why has Nvidia stated it was an issue on their end, and they were working on a resolution for it? Also, it has only been around since they updated the Nvidia drivers for Cyberpunk 2077, not for 9 months, or as you put it in another post, since the beginning of BfA. Please don’t spread misinformation.

4 Likes

Angry little guy? You are the one getting angry at everyone. No, there have been similar issues but this specific flickering problem did not exist until the Shadowlands pre-patch at the earliest. Anything prior to that was something else. Just because one bug resembles another bug, it does not mean that it’s the same one.

5 Likes

There has been another issue for NVidia users that has had a prolonged existence with similar results. But the cause has been identified as the use of certain MSAA configurations, rather than the drivers.

There’s a separate thread on that matter, but the two issues have rapidly been confused for one another - to the point where the earlier issue is now all but impossible to discuss without someone mistaking it (accidentally or not) for the newer one.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/main-thread-nvidia-texture-flicker-possibly-caused-by-msaa/558294

2 Likes

Precisely why I stated that Cheezus shouldn’t be spreading misinformation.

5 Likes

I don’t know if this helps or not, but I’ve noticed that the flickering seems to be tied in some way to alt+tabbing. I’m on Windows 10 and a frequent alt+tabber (I also like to watch youtube videos via picture in picture while I level) and I’ve noticed that alt+tabbing (particularly on load screens) and using picture in picture seem to make the flickering both more common and harder to get rid of.

So I dunno, the problem might be tied in some way to the system getting confused by changing/overlapping windows in some way if anyone else has noticed this same pattern.

(I’m on a 1050 Ti)

1 Like

Do we know if this has been fixed yet? I am still on 460.89, because it was the one that was working. But now, it has been giving me the same flickering issues. I see I have an update to one from February 25 for 461.72.

We know it has not. It’s still in the list of known issues if you check the Release Notes for the drivers, and there’s been no mention of it in the notes for any of the hotfixes.

I can also verify that the flag is still missing from the correct profiles in these later drivers. It has been restored to the baseline WoW profile, but as this is overridden by the Classic and Retail profiles (which don’t have the flag) it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Thank you for the update.

There is an Insider 470.05 beta driver floating around, available to test on Guru 3D forum. Unfortunately WoW flicker hasn’t been addressed with it and the problem still exists. At this point I feel that we have little to look forward to from Nvidia, at least not in the near future.

This thread deals specifically with in-game textures beginning to flicker uncontrollably for no reason at all causing a strobing effect.

The flickering you are describing is a different, full-screen flicker and is typically the result of GSYNC/FreeSync being enabled at the desktop level (since it occurs primarily in non-fullscreen games); I also see it but it hasn’t been annoying enough for me to disable it.

Yes, I was talking about this issue as well.

Trust me, they’re unrelated.

1 Like

I wish you were right, but I highly doubt it. Problem is happening exactly as it’s described in this thread, affected by the exact same workarounds and fixes, that started with the Cyberpunk 2077 driver update last December.

1 Like

Came here looking for answers and found it. My game was running perfectly then about a week ago started having objects, trees, etc blinking like crazy if the camera angle was a certain way. Trees in Ardenweald are 100% noticeable all the time.

It causes no performance issues, but it is very frustrating to play the game when you’re trying to enjoy it for one of it’s nicer features the nice looking zones.

I really wish NVIDIA would fix this already.

3 Likes

No, not fixed in today’s 461.92 drivers, at least not according to the release notes.

2 Likes

Well, I wish I’d have read this thread before I updated my drivers tonight. Just updated to 461.92 and hopped on a flight… trees flickering everywhere.

2 Likes

Hopefully one day it’ll be fixed… must be a hard bug to figure out.

1 Like