Mag’har Orc Warlocks

The core problem for Mag’har Orcs being Warlocks is that the foundation for their race is based on not being corrupted by fel. The best and easiest solution is to not have Warlock as an available class to this race. Since I have doubts the best option will be implemented, let me propose an alternative in building the lore for supporting it.

Firstly, this combination should be locked behind a quest that explains how an uncorrupted Mag’har could be a Warlock. This would ensure the player has a coherent understanding of why this unthinkable combination could be allowed.

The unlock quest should contain some background that allows the Mag’har to be shielded from fel magic. Possibly a totem of some sort that absorbed the fel away from them? This would keep the Mag’har Orc from turning green.

I’m open to any type of background, the totem just seemed like a good premise.

2 Likes

After some thought, the Shadowmoon Clan would become equals to the Void elfs if they had Warlocks. Can even get more exposure in the story since the forces of darkness often reappear.

If we get Mag’har Orc warlocks, that just proves Yrel did nothing wrong :smirk:

Jokes aside, I agree that there’d need to be a stopgap, otherwise by becoming Warlocks they cease to be Mag’har given the new definition they gave the word.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I am total following here, but would love to see more Relka Bloodfyre.

1 Like

If the blood elves cared about fel magic I could imagine that they would have developed methods to remedy the radiation effect of fel.

Maybe a crystal or mechanism that draws in the extra fel which can be reused and recycled as energy.

2 Likes

Yrel was right to conquer Draenor.

Those Orcs just cannot stop themselves from getting Fel tainted

3 Likes

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again.

Mag’har Orc Warlocks cannot exist.

Mag’har means ‘uncorrupted’, as we know from very well documented lore, warlock magic, all warlock magic, corrupts. Its continued use transforms Orcs, changing their skin from its natural colour to green. The moment a Mag’har Orc starts using warlock magic, they are no longer ‘uncorrupted’ therefor they are no longer Mag’har.

At that point they’re just Orc warlocks, and we already have those in the game.

7 Likes

Well, they will, so

6 Likes

Sure, they will, I mean, if Blizzard goes through with this colossally stupid decision.

They still have time to actually pull their heads in and respect the lore they built up over 18 years, so I’m hoping they actually manage that.

2 Likes

Or they will just add something like it not being fel magic alone that causes the mutation and I will once again be vindicated.

Honestly, this.

I don’t see the necessity to be bend the lore.
If you want to play an orc warlock, you already have the MU Orc race.

Sorry, but in said regard, Blizzard painted themselves into a corner.

The entire distinction of said race is explicitly about being the “uncorrupted” alternative: The orcs that rejected the warlocks practices.

Introducing said class for them now, simply goes about the very core concept of the playable race, and destroys the very reason to be of said race.

5 Likes

I get that you are kidding, but Lightforged Draenei will be able to be Warlocks too. Perhaps we will see if Yrel has an issue with that, or if she incorporates them into her ranks.

1 Like

This is an obtuse opinion. They can for the simple fact that they are only orcs after all. And they were in contact with the MU orcs and saw that the use of fel magic if well controlled does not necessarily turn you into a legion slave.

Being a mag’har simply means taking an ideological stand in the face of a demon’s offer. They refused Mannoroth’s gift and kept away from being the legion’s slaves, maintaining their pride. Being mag’har means not trading your freedom for power. It’s merely an honorific, beyond any genetic considerations you’re trying to underscore. If genetics mattered to the mag’har in the first place, they would never ally themselves with green orcs.

Which demonstrates that they always had a huge degree of tolerance with the issue of using fel from the beginning, and even because they were the most loyal soldiers of an undead elf who was a creature kept alive through necrotic magic. In other words, they never cared about appearances.

You confuse ideology with physical aspects. Furthermore, the events that led to all MU orcs turning green had to do with the fact that they were exposed to a degree of contact with fel magic that no single warlock would be able to produce. If that were the case all humans in Stormwind, trolls and other races would be green as well, as in almost every society there are warlocks.

It’s not something that breaks the lore, and you’re just trying to pass yourself off as some kind of lore authority when the lore can easily explain this decision of the mag’har without it hurting the ideology of the race.

9 Likes

And yet orcs like MU Durotan were not seen as Mag’har. Even though they refused to drink the blood.

Even an orc like Thrall is not seen as ‘Mag’har’. There is more than just simply rejecting the blood “gift”. It is a sense of pride of not having any noticeable fel corruption period.

That is literally not what Mag’har means, or implies.

The word literally means ‘uncorrupted’, and the first use of it that we saw was in the Burning Crusade expansion where we met Orcs who still had brown skin because they were not corrupted by the fel energies that spread throughout the rest of their people.

3 Likes

Because he was part of the Horde war machine for quite some time? He participated in the downfall of Shattrath, meaning he was corrupted, he just regretted it and tried to take a different path afterwards.

In fact, he was the only orc with Orgrimm who knew the secrets of the crystals that protected the draenei cities, and he gave this secret to the Horde of Gul’dan.

So how would you explain Thrall not being considered a Mag’har orc then? He wasn’t involved in that stuff and fought against the Legion the moment they reared their hands on Kalimdor. Even allying with Jaina to do so.

Or any orc that was born with green skin. Are you going to pull a “sins of the father” trope?

2 Likes

This is a really stupid question. Did the orcs knew the mag’har of the Outlands when Thrall founded the Horde? They only knew that they called themselves orcs, so they were orcs. He was raised by humans with no knowledge at all of orc culture, so why would he call himself “maghar”?

This is easily explained. If Thrall wants to call himself a mag’har, that’s his business. The mag’har of AU Draenor refer to themselves as such out of simple ideological affiliation.

The Garadar mag’har of MU Draenor were victims of red pox who were driven from the Horde by Gul’dan and Blackhand. They didn’t make any decisions based on any principle. They were merely pariahs.

In the case of AU draenor mag’har there were also, and this is evident, ideological implications in the fact that they referred to themselves as mag’har. In other words, the meaning of the word is expanded, and this is basically why Grom shouts “We will never be slaves”. Because in that case they knew what that gift was and they didn’t want to trade freedom for power.

The lore manages to explain all these events without major problems, and your headcanon using conflicting timelines won’t change that.

Also from Blizzard: But when Gul’dan offered them the blood of his demonic masters, the disparate tribes of Mag’har—the orcish word for “uncorrupted”—refused the dark bargain and banded together to drive out the Burning Legion.

I want you to explain to me what you think the word uncorrupted means. If your logic applies then why did the mag’har ally themselves with corrupted orcs?

If the motivation for this title is merely something related to appearance and not the obvious ideological choice that Blizzard itself underlines, why would they ally themselves with several races that are clearly “corrupted” by the fel?

It doesn’t take complex reflection to understand that you are basically incapable of thinking beyond the literal meaning of a word. If we are to follow that logic of yours, then the mag’hars should be as much a race of supremacists as the scarlet crusade.

That was never the case. Because the title has always been an honorific. And you were never able to understand it.

2 Likes

Player characters are often the exception that proves the rule in many settings/games.

1 Like

Being a Mag’har represents the rejection of the taint that accompanies the Warlock practices.

Having an Orc that was a Mag’har, be a Warlock its certainly possible…they just cease to be considered part of the mag’har.

Whether we like it or not, its ideology the thing that defines who is considered part of the faction here.
If you dump it, you cease to be part of said collective. It really is that simple.

The “Mag’har” (when the term is referring to the playable faction) race is a subfaction of the Orc race that has as defining characteristic, the fact that they reject the taint that comes with Warlock practices.
Their whole theme is about the rejection of what Gul’dan offered.

Its the “thing” they use to be marked apart.

As i mentioned in another thread, having a Mag’har be a Warlock is the equivalent of having a Lightforged Draenei skip the Lightforging ritual.

Is it possible? Yes.
But they simply cease to be a LF Draenei. They are now just a Draenei.

If you want to preserve the distinction that marks a playable race, you can’t just discard the aspects that you decided to mark them apart.
And it doesn’t matter if these aspects are physical or ideological.

In the Mag’hars case, Blizzard decided to have them be marked by said ideological distinction (a similar logic as the one they used for LF Draenei, Void Elves, Nightborne, Blood Elves,…regarding their “baseline” counterparts)

These “races” aren’t marked by racial or physical distinctions. They are marked by ideological ones.

Discarding this on a whim makes the story, and gameplay, lose coherence.

Whats the point of drawing said line if you are then going to ignore it?

5 Likes