Mag'har orc monk, how

So mag’har orcs come from alternate universe and brought to azeroth to help fight the alliance. I dont remember seeing any pandas or lore of pandas in the AU. This is their first time here because prior to that, any orc came over with fel magic. So they would need to be green?

Is all this correct?

If yes, how on azeroth does mag’har orc learn to be a monk, which came from pandas?

Is there lore that explains it. Shaman, absolutely makes sense

The only thing I could think of is that he was born on azeroth by mag’har orc that came over but even then he would be 2 years old or less

I’m so sick of autocorrect

Same way everyone does. Training.

3 Likes

So no historical lore that I don’t know of

Yep. They came to Azeroth and decided to be Monks is pretty much the lore. Seeing as they encountered monks in alt Draenor before though perhaps that’s whay inspired them to be one.

3 Likes

Hmm. Ok thank you

It’s also not specifically a pandaren thing. Pandaren perfected their styles of unarmed combat, but it’s not like they invented the concept. Most races would have some form of martial training available along with various weaponry. Especially a warrior-centric society like the orcs.

For learning how to use chi energy you could say they may have picked it up themselves or during WoD after seeing us use it. Or likely when they transferred to Azeroth they went to pandaren tutors to refine and advance their abilities. Something like that.

8 Likes

I appreciate the insights. Honestly though, I have always seen orcs and mag’har orcs as strong warriors who are ready to battle for honor or freedom.

When I look at monks I think of peaceful warriors who dont let anger, rage or other type things get them fighting. Only fight if you must

I’m sure it’s just me, but it doesn’t fit. There is no predefined story that explains it either short of learn from us. That is certainly viable but I prefer in game or lore that is documented

Honestly I’m working on a mag’har orc shaman healer and even that feels like a stretch. I know they need healers in battle, but I always see mag’har as warriors. Even with my healer.i like to joke and say he is doing “angry heals” because of the animations.
Someone asked my why angry heals and the only thing I could think of was “it’s in his nature”

1 Like

I missed WoD but in BC the Outland Maghar certainly had their more mild mannered Shamanistic healer types.

1 Like

I have a backstory for my mag’har monk… that he teacher was a member of the Laughing Skull clan that was rescued by the Horde commander during WoD… who was a monk.

This monk taught him basics and trained to instill within him the concept of inner peace.

Shortly after Archimonds defeat the commander returns to his own timeline and the young apprentice started spreading the teachings to others that wished to learn

3 Likes

This. I really wish Blizzard would develop some sort of customization option/flavor tool that could maybe better showcase that monks aren’t all just from pandaren paths. Like blood elves have Eramas, humans have Scarlet monks, Draenei have the Auchenai monks, we should really showcase this really interesting lore that you guys created and we enjoy. It makes classes so much cooler when we can have some cultural flavor that can give us something that makes us feel at home amongst Silvermoon’s ranks, “those classes,” warlocks, mages, paladins; these are all things you think of when you think “blood elf,” and monks, warriors (arguably), priest (another arguable one, but do we have many notable blood elf priests) just don’t really fit the mold, partially because they’re super undeveloped. Sorry to hone in on blood elves for my example, but it fits my specific annoyance.

HOWEVER

I would say that if you skip the intro cutscenes and quests (blank em from your minds folks), you could functionally rp yourself as an Outland mag’har orc. As far as I know, the racials don’t really mess with this illusion; they’re all fairly generic “orc” racials. This could be desirable for a few reasons: you could have encountered green orcs and the Horde during BC and traveled to Azeroth following the expansion’s end, giving you a way to have encountered Pandaren earlier. Additionally, though all the AU orcs are fairly spiritual and more tempered than our fel orcs, there’s still a really cool concept to explore, having like an orcish monk from MU Nagrand and like finding serenity in arguably the only untouched place in this shattered, decaying world.

1 Like

I MAY have set up a dojo in Ashran during WoD. They probably won’t recognize me though, as I was a considerably smaller individual.

2 Likes

Pandaren train from childhood to attain mastery in the monastic arts, which is what left me scratching my head at there being Mag’har monks when they’ve had like… 20 minutes to train in the grand scheme of the path, but were at raid-boss level in time for Dazar’alor.

Maybe their timey wimey junk extends to training too?

I justified it in a couple ways…

First… the laughing skull clan did have members that fought unarmed… but that is only first step.

During the events of WoD the gameplay takes place 35 years in Draenors past. What if the Horde commander that set up the garrison was a monk? What if said monk passed his teaching along to the Mag’har? And over the next 35 years by the time the Horde member and Etrigg to to present Draenor the teaching and styles of said monk had been taught widespread?

Your making it way too complicated its not that hard to think of. There are melee hand to hand fighters of each race. Thats all that is.

Just as Cenarius is not the only avenue for Druidism, Pandas don’t have the absolute lockdown on monks. The orcs of Draenor have precedence for being in touch with the natural world due to their shamanism and animisic beliefs.

They are form of blademasters. That’s how the Mag’har Gets the Class from. Burning Blade Clan which is a form of a blade where they have Warriors and Monks.