Mages that pvp

What do u do about the hunters in team fights that hit unbelievably hard on u? And I’m asking not because I play hunter but I am playing a mage now too and it’s pretty difficult to avoid hunters 2 hitting me and to actually stay in the fight

Hunters in bgs at max range decimate mages. Run, los, lip/bop etc.

2 Likes

There’s some good guides for mage v hunter on youtube.

1v1?

Blink in pop ice reflector, trap misses. Rank 1 frostbolt, escape artist conc shot, nova. Block next trap. Coldsnap if needed.

Begin to send him to graveyard.

It specifically says in team fights. Not 1v1.

6 Likes

classic pvp really doesn’t matter outside of world pvp.
Bgs just a premade cest pool
Hunter doesn’t do very well in wpvp like they did in classic. Thank Leeway and artificial trash batching for that.

1 Like

Ice Barrier + Healing is nice.

How is your gear? Stam is helpful. Ice Block is nice to clear DoTs. The Defiler Trinket is also quite helpful, imo. Mana shield can also be effective.

Kind of dumb question then.

Who’s on your team?

Who’s supporting you?

What are you fighting?

How many people on each side?

What classes does each side have?

1v1 good mage with all the idiotic gadgets available tends to beat hunter.

Technically hunter should be the counter and def. has a higher skill cap than mage, but ofc mages being mages, they just have to win.

sheep and do w/e

Obviously it’s extremely situational but if you’re getting focused by a hunter in a large scale team fight the best thing you can do is run, los, or lip/bop.

If you just stand there and let them pluck you you’re going to die or use a lot of your healers mana.

1 Like

You play the class you are concerned about. What do enemy mages do to you that makes them win? Do whatever it is they are doing.

The following works on 1v1 only because I did it to a hunter yesterday who tried to gank me. Blink towards hunter to close the gap. Frost nova him and then keep him close then apply cone of cold, arcane explosion, fire blast. Cold snap when needed. It will burn through your mana but using the mana ruby and mana potion will get you where he is dead or very close to it.

2 Likes

Hunters never did well in Vanilla anyway. You had a few exceptions with very skilled hunter beating bad players. But hunters are pretty weak to just about every other class when actual pvp specs and builds are being used.

In this version of wow hunter is probably one of the worse pvp’rs. Leeway means a warrior can charge me and hamstring. I trap him and began to create distance when the trap is over he can still hit me due to leeway

Back in actual Vanilla hunters instant fein trapped all the time, and now I’m starting to think it’s a lost art because every hunter I fight uses scatter and then fein traps, but it doesn’t make any sense to me because I thought scatter and trap are the same DR.

Are they just bad? Have the players gotten worse and fail to duplicate what was common in Vanilla?

They scatter because this version of wow is 100% dog sht for hunters. FD/Trap bugs out all the time.

3 Likes

Well that sucks, it’s a huge part of the PVP kit.

1 Like

Scatter trap is easier to land.

Might be hard to trap stuff that’s ranged without using a scatter to be able to run into it to feign and trap.

Its how batching works on this client

1 Like