Mages are the worst class at Torghast and beta testers failed us

They just need to make elites always drop an anima power. That would make Torghast a lot more fun.

1 Like

Always one person with little to no actual experience who chimes in with their opinion based on what, a hunch?

If you’re going to bring something to the conversation, please provide evidence via a link or data. Don’t just come in here with skepticism that is unfounded or based on a personal opinion.

tried floor 6 got killed by the boss at the end got crap anima and too much time wasted , not fun at all , decided to give it up , did a layer 4 my mental health will be better that way.

1 Like

we rule on melee bosses that u can snare , untouchable, but gl doing that on the boss that goes inmne to CC , or the casters bosses…

some bosses are so easy i dont even need anima to kill it lol others is gl with anima or death

In my experience as mage Torghast has been a matter of getting Runecloth Wrappings or not. For that I need to go as Arcane since I get Invisibility each min or so.

If I don’t get that Anima by floor 3, I restart. At lower difficulties you can gamble, but at 5+ there’s no other choice.

But if you get a boss that has damage reduction at the start of the fight such as Decayspeaker then you may as well restart the run. (look for a worm in the Floor 3 holograph)

Rejoice Mages.

“Unnatural Power no longer provides immunity to crowd controlling effects at 10 stacks.”

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/updating-torghast-this-week/783123

2 Likes

Reading through the mage complaints, it’s hard not to feel like a statistical outlier sometimes, because I’ve yet to have an unsuccessful solo run as fire, even when I was less geared than I am now. Half the time I wouldn’t even remember to use Runecloth Wrappings pre-nerf, and I still stomped most fights. Maybe it’s because Combustion synergizes so well with Timekeeper’s Needle…

It’s definitely fun for me, but I hope they can give a little love to frost and arcane if they’re still languishing after the upcoming nerfs to Torghast.

2 Likes

I just bought Runecloth Wrappings from a broker, and it still says 2000%. Same in my powers. Did they just choose to not nerf it?

1 Like

It’s nerfed, I’ve verified it directly in-game, it’s more that the tool-tip hasn’t been updated as of yet.

Which is sad because when I saw I hoped beyond hope that it was still working… but it’s not.

Still useful, but nowhere near as powerful as it was.

3 Likes

Yeah, I see that now. Lame.

Arcane does quite well in Torghast. I did a layer 7 last night in under an hour. Hopefully the nerfs make it quicker. I didn’t mind the difficulty, but spending a couple hours was excessive (and the RNG of powers can be annoying).

The updates are very noticeable. I comfortably completed a 5 and 6 level run as fire with Ilvl 183 gear. I also got the Torghast upgrade for anima powers from the Maw lady (need a certain level of rep). I found that I get access to rare and epic anima powers much more frequently. There are lots of powerful buffs to get and both runs used different strategies.

Generally I don’t have a problem with floor trash. Floor elites I dispatch pretty easily with combustion, especially after getting a couple good anima powers. The floor bosses get taken down quite nicely with combustion. I didn’t realize that CD’s reset each floor because I just read the patch notes, but now you can use lust at the end of each floor, making the guardian bosses that much easier.

I found both runs to be quite enjoyable and the fact that I had different epic/rare powers leads me to believe multiple strategies are viable. But you do want to get powers that increase single target damage. Mages are powerful enough to kill floor trash pretty easily but you want to ensure you can burst down the big bad at the end.

The anima power that prevents attacks from hitting you outside the circle is super OP. Highly recommend that as a defensive option. As good as the one that gives all three shields imo and is only a rare power not an epic one.

It was completely different in beta. There were no layers. Just one type of run. At first there were just endless floors as you might have heard. No end, you could go to fifty floors and it just kept getting easier. Then they broke them down more or less as you see now with six floors in the regular ones and eighteen in the cosmetic one, but no layers. Two of them were insane: Mort’gregar had a floor that was full of elite shades and they were packed in so tight that there was no way to use range properly or blink and polymorph doesn’t work on shades. I complained about that (maybe other people did as well) and they changed it, made fewer elites, and made it less densely packed. The other one was Upper Reaches and it looked like it does now but had as many elites as Perdition Hall does now. They completely nerfed that for live. Another change is in the bosses. So the mobs were generally harder and the bosses were generally easier, especially if you had Runecloth Wrappings and you could practically one-shot some of the bosses. It was fun…but broken I suppose. Then they went in the opposite direction. I’m glad they nerfed some of it now on live. It sounds like they are reverting a bit to having the mobs be a bit harder again and the bosses a bit less intense.

I am Arcane and haven’t had any problems whatsoever. Like, none. Some of the bosses are challenging, but can be cheesed by picking the right anima powers. I have NO IDEA why it seems so hard for many people!

1 Like

True if you get the good anima powers. I’ve had runs on live with really lame anima powers (which tended to happen far less in beta for some reason).

2 Likes

Bad luck with anima powers wouldn’t boost your single target damage enough making higher floor end bosses nearly impossible. Arcane had the benefit of the wraps boost to arcane blast. That’s nerfed for arcane but still decent. I have a feeling frost players have the most issues. At least fire has huge single target burst with combustion. Frost single target damage isn’t very good atm.

With the updates, I think most players should find at least level 6 fine as long as you have pretty good ilvl and your legendary.

1 Like

Runecloth Wrappers is insane. I pray for it every time I go in, lol. I’m glad someone verified it was nerfed because I knew it wasn’t quite as awesome. The thing that the OP said was the beta testers let you down and I wanted to explain (since apparently not everyone watches YouTube streams on beta) is just how great the changes in Torghast were from alpha to live. It’s so different now, although it looks more or less the same.

1 Like

I just solo cleared both layer 7 and both layer 8’s as fire today. It was tough but it wasn’t impossible. Rng can be rough.

More intelligent mirror images plus a couple anima’s giving me a couple more was nice, 7 of them would do 100k damage combined per cast and I let them kill most enemies cause greater pyro’s coming from them was super fun to see. First time I have been able to actually do that and get that anima setup tho

I was hoping for that right away. Twisting Corridors sounds like a bunch of fun. I really want that released asap

It’s because many elites, like the skulkers, have cleaving abilities.
Mirror images tooltip has always said that they vanish away upon dmg, and well, if the 4 of them get hit by the cleave they all go poof.
Just gotta be smart and drop them once they have dropped their special aoe smash.