Mage Tower?

Does anyone have a revised strategy for the Mage Tower challenge since we are getting Legion timewalking this week? I really want a shot at getting the hulk form for my bear.

As far as I know, the fight hasn’t changed. The strategy is do mechanics lol. I wouldn’t be surprised if tuning is wonky, however.

2 Likes

I’d head strait there to check it out. If the guardian re-work is completing it too easily then expect the fight to be buffed. Good luck. It’s rough. Took me 176 attempts over a few months and about 15k in consumables. I did end up buying the ghost iron trinket but it was “meh”. The potion of unbridled fury from BFA was insane damage though.

1 Like

All I know is wild charge saves lives

It is back! Thanks for mentioning. I just checked the release notes for 10.0.5 and they do discuss it.

• The Mage Tower has returned – Interested adventurers can speak to War Councilor Victoria at Deliverance Point in the Broken Shore to test their skills in one of seven unique challenges. Defeat the challenges to earn epic rewards, including Legion-themed class-specific armor set appearances, Guardian Druid Fel Wearbear Form, achievements, and the wondrous Soaring Spelltome mount. The Mage Tower is recommended for level 70 adventurers.
1 Like

Not sure if its been fixed. But last time i did it, pull variss onto the healer npc dude. The npc will just melee him & kill him usually before or just after the 2nd infernal.

U just concentrate on eyes & the aoe dude, with the occasional heal inturupt.

Then in phase 2, pop everything & kill boss.

Did this strat on my DK, Druid & Warrior in SL Mage tower & helped alot.

GL.

2 Likes

Just so you don’t feel pressured to get it done this week, it turns out that the Mage Tower has been a permanent feature since last March! It was only temporarily disabled for the launch of DF.

I did it on 4 tanks back in Legion and Guardian was by far the hardest. I suppose I have to get the new skin now too, but I’m not that excited about it.

I remember using different talents than all the guides said, so you’ll have to experiment.

2 consumables I found helpful were the Sylvan Elixir (10% all stats) and Bear Tartare for food (it gives you a sprint when you kill something).

2 Likes

Thanks! This is a very helpful reply. I came back for DF and made this character during pre-launch. I’m very excited about the challenge.

1 Like

Wait wtf? I didnt know this when i completed it

no changes to the fight its still the same, all videos from legion and the last launch of MT are still valid

I did it back in Legion, and just 1-shot it now on bear at 398 ilvl. It’s unbelievably easy. Most of the adds died before they even thought about casting nether storm, let alone needing to be interrupted. If you’re around 400 ilvl or even significantly lower, you shouldn’t have any concerns about being able to kill it; you absolutely can. Here is every mechanic you need to know in order they need to be dealt with:

Interrupt or kill mana adds before they cast netherstorm, either with incap roar, typhoon or standing on a zone.
Interrupt drain life.
Face the eye add and moonfire them, one moonfire kills them.
Just burn down the infernal adds, move away from their cleave. They don’t do jack.
DPS the boss in between the above, you can stand in the zone until about 5 stacks (or more if you’re comfortable). He has such low hp I have no doubt you can comfortably just kill him with moonfire.

I’m not actually sure you couldn’t pass the first phase literally casting moonfire and nothing else. The only trouble would be the nether adds casting, but they are interruptible too.

Second phase, keep killing adds, between killing the boss. Heal after slam. That’s it. The black beams do jack crap, just run through them.

I changed nothing. Didn’t get any gear from old xpacs, didn’t change spec, didn’t even refresh my memory on mechanics. Haven’t touched it since legion.

1 Like

Just jumped in to try the mage tower as bear, and thrash isn’t working?
Am I missing something?

drag it out from the talent pane, there are some funky bugs if it’s still there from prior to patch.

Shapeshifting out and into bear form worked.
Couple other spells were’nt working but that fixes em too.

1 Like

I got my welfare bear last night. They over nerfed it and tier sets works inside, phial of glacial fury did a ton of dmg for me as well.

Legion i had a ton of attempts but never pushed very hard to do it. I had over 200 attempts in SL, but the only gear I ever went out of my way to get was the mythic seed with leech. I did it in under 20 runs, and the moment i bought drums to try-hard i did it in 3.

2 Likes

Numbers seem fairly unfavorable at 365 ilvl at least (my alt Druid.) I’ve heard some people saying the laser bear moonfire can one-shot the eyes, but I’m having to hit them 4 or 5 times. I might have to wait until I get a few more ilvls under my belt.

non-proc moonfire took 1-2 hits. Sunfire seemed to wreck eyes.

I opened with boomkin with heart/convoke and stood on outside of ring. This would take him to 80%. Killed eyes as they spawned. And used skullbash when he casted drain life.

Pulled aberations into center and used the golden orb. Kited infernals while keeping dots on everything and interrupting drain life.

As for the last dude, I died instantly about a dozen times before realizing I need to rotate defensives. I ran double surv instincts and interrupted his healing thing. With drums and cds at 384ilvl it went by really quickly. Like 90% of my dmg was moonfire.

1 Like

About 20 ilvl difference might be helping as well - do you know what you got downscaled to? I was at 120.

I didnt check tbh. I had about 11.5k hp though if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll take a look when I get a break, that’s very helpful.