Mage Talents

Skinning may make you more money in the short run but everyone needs Enchanting and you can level Enchanting easier with Tailoring

When people are needing weapon enchants, you will be making the big bucks

As for the original question you can level as Fire, but Frost has the edge for three big reasons:

-You can kite
-You can effectively AoE farm
-There’s a good amount of world mobs and an entire raid resistant/immune to Fire, and there’s not as many resistant to Frost

Outside of that if you wanna roll Fire by all means

I’m not there yet, and tend towards single target frost but tend to agree, keep coc sort of Oh Carp and 2/3 blizzard if your set on aoe farming. I’ll probably give some a go, but prefer to be on lower mobs that are green or maybe yellow and take any stuff to help prevent any frost resist I can.

My best plan is run with a holy pally and / or a warrior I know and just grind and pocket gold and if they pull to much swap to aoe to help burn em down

OH, and new lock friend makes mana pots to help me out if I over extend my mana needs.

friends make everything better. /wink

hmm ya I can see the pros and cons of enchanting. I don’t want to have sit in trade chat trying to make money with all the time ill be putting into leveling enchanting just to sit there like a door to door salesman hoping someone needs a enchant. maybe ill drop that one. although do you think that keeping enchanting and just maybe selling the enchanting mats would out perform selling the skins from skinning?

Don’t listen to people who learned the game from youtube. Fire=best spec period for leveling.

Rotation, Pyroblast opener, fireball followup (combat may be over if both crit), scorch,(combat may be over with a wand strike), fireblast(combats definitely over.)

Surviving as a fire mage also turns you into an amazing pvp player. Fire also kills aoe packs faster than Frost once you’re practiced.

Basic aoe rotation = gather a few, nova, flamestrike into instant cone of cold then kite the pack around your flame strike and fireblast the highest health mob in the pack, second cone of cold and a few arc blasts end it. Up close and personal AOE grinding is more fun than blizz and pray nothing resists.

I’ve tried a bunch of different specs to keep things interesting. Currently, I’m Frost AOE spec and I’m trying Improved Frost Ward. Anybody try this or have any thoughts. I just wanted more survivabilty in battlegrounds. How does it stack with Ice Barrier?

Also, if I spec to deep Arcane/Frost and mostly run dungeons and not raids, will I be missing anything, since I won’t have improved blizzard. Most of the mage activity in level 58-60 is AOE. Just wondering if deep frost or Arcane/Frost would be better in the 58-60 dungeons. Does the slow really help the tank in the AOE pulls?

If you are doing BGs (aka AV) and want AOE, then you should be playing elementalist 0/24/27:

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/mage/-05520201230031-203532001020513

Just note that spec wont work for raids.

I am pulling 10 Hillsbrad farmers at a time on a high pop server with 0 downtime at level 24. If you want to level quickly and farm gold/exp crazy fast definitely go the frost aoe route with no frostbite talent all the way to 60.

1 Like