Mage portals in SL? Less relevant?

With a majority of this expansion seemingly taking place in the Shadowlands, how relevant are Mage portals going to be as a perk or utility for mages? Seems if you were basing some of your thoughts on maining a mage due to teleport convenience, it might not be that big of a bonus. Yea?

Imo ports will always be a fantastic perk and i miss them like crazy when playing other toons, but it should never be the basis for class choice over more combat related perks (of which mage still has plenty).

2 Likes

Yea when I play this Hunter or any other class I really miss teleporting around… I think lots of class abilities could be used as a basis for choosing them, combat shouldn’t be the only measure.

Mage protals/teleports haven’t been that important since WoD when we got the garrison hearth and spent the majority of our time there. They’re still sort of useful (eg: setting your hearth to the other end of Dazaralor because stupid flight paths) but nothing compared to the old days.

I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, it was great being able to get to more places in the open world but on the other you’d get PMs from randoms demanding a port to whichever city.

I guess in SL we’ll use the port to whatever the new city is and we can then set our hearth to the covenant daily hubs.

1 Like

I strongly disagree… Ports have been great for the Nyalotha stuff and are great for getting around while farming mogs and old raids. I also never have anyone whisper me for a port, I’m sure it happens but not to me.

Ports are always nice - people may not need them to get to their main capital (Org/SW) or the capital of the expansion since people set their hearths in the expansions current hub and that hub has some portals - but there are portals that people benefit from them at various times. Ancient dala is really close to some winterveil quests as well as a good way to get to certain places Alliance has no real close teleport for. Legion dala is a great port because some people don’t have the hearthstone and only want to do one thing there briefly without doing the intro. There’s Stonard/Theramore for more utility - Vale of Eternal Blossoms was a good one in 8.3 since the Pandaria portal puts you in the Jade Forest. Portals may rise and fall in relevancy but they will NEVER be irrelevant.

2 Likes

they should be free

Portals will always be useful. Especially when trying to have some fun.

2 Likes

we dont know whats going to happen come 9.1 or 9.2 blizz likes to reuse old zones for events and whatnot.

I love this. I used to repeatedly get guildies with this all the time. Some karma just bit me the other day - went to port to northrend dal for the icecrown stuff and went afk, came back dead in the crater because I picked the wrong port lol.

1 Like

hehe yeah you have to be careful not to fall for it yourself.