Mage M+ Help

So I have been playing mainly frostmage, only done a few +2 keys, just starting to get back into doing some mythic dungeons but have +++2ed both that I have done. My question is, is Frost a decent spec for trying to push higher? Also is a ST or AoE build better for the mythic + scene?

1 Like

yes /10 char

Something like this is what most people use, it’s good in AoE and still maintains strong ST
You can use this for both fort and tyranical

BAEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIJIFNk4AJpIgkQERKJJAAAJSiESkkkIJJJRSAAAAAAAAAgIA

At one point Frost was almost boringly easy/spammy in M+ but now I’d honestly say Fire is easier. Good damage, not that many buttons, massive room for improvement. Avoid Arcane unless you’re a masochist that’s cool with sweating through a 38 step rotation just to keep up with a two-button BM hunter.

3 Likes

Frost is good, but it’s a hard spec to play. Long GS cast times means you need to position well and plan ahead. The rotation is very tight, there is always a button to press and it’s easy to mess up somewhere.

Frost also likes to move in and out of melee range which makes it susceptible to both melee and ranged mechanics. It’s a pretty satisfying spec to play, but takes a while to get used to.

Except that you don’t keep up with them.

I feel personally attacked lol.

Arcane has a very simple AOE rotation.

1. Barrage at 4 arcane charges
  2. Orb if not at 4 arcane charges
  3. Explosion if not at 4 arcane charges.

And then it has its burns which are scripted:

Big burn: (get 4 arcane charges) Evocate → Radiant Spark → Nether Tempest → Arcane Surge → Barrage → ToTM → normal rotation
Mini burn: Radiant spark → nether tempest → barrage → totm

and that never changes. People overblow arcanes complexity because a lot of people that have never touched it in their life look at the priority lists (which could be set up better) and think its an impossible spec. In reality its the simplest mage spec to play, and to play well. Of course there is a few things I didnt touch on, like use your 4 pc proc in totm and hold it for that unless it expires, but nothing major. This is it really for arcanes rotation.

2 Likes

could I be lazy and just macro this into a castsequence macro if it is always the same?

As a matter of fact, yes you can. This is from Porom on the mage discord:

/castsequence [known:759]reset=10 Arcane Surge, Mana Gem, Arcane Barrage, Touch of the Magi, Arcane Blast;reset=10 Arcane Surge, Arcane Barrage, Touch of the Magi, Arcane Blast

Evo first tho, and play around with the macro to fit your needs but it does seem to work

1 Like

Fire doesn’t shine until 18+. Frost is currently the most consistent spec but mage is the hardest class in the game, all 3 specs are pretty difficult to learn. Arcane being the most brutal. Frost is consistent and scales well.
I’ve played fire in a couple seasons trying to get it to work but it’s so bad in lower keys. Nothing ever lives long enough for fire to get going.

I think all three specs can push right now if played right and with a team that’s coordinated.

The rotation at the dummies is great, but I struggle with it in the dungeons. Do you always start out with surge burn and go in order or hold off sometimes? I’ve been wondering on some dungeons if the mini burn first might be useful. I’m wasting up time quite a bit, and also spending way too much time in filler. I feel like in PUGs, it’s somewhat dependent on the tank, though it’s also just me messing up a lot. Any tips?

Its almost never worth it to delay your cds in any form. So especially getting used to the spec just always do it in order. Surge stuff is up? send that rotation. Its not? send mini-burn.

1 Like