Mage - gnome or human?

I plan on eventually leveling 3 toons in Classic - dwarf priest will be my main and human warrior will be my last and slowest to level. But I’m not sure what race to make my mage - human or gnome. Gnome radials seem to fit a caster but don’t look forward to the punting jokes. Human racials seem ok for mage + spirit and I like the idea of gaining rep faster. But already going to have 1 human and they’re not exactly exciting. Never played Classic so any advice from the vets out there?

2 Likes

Eventually you will max all the rep anyhow, at which point the Human racial is no longer useful. Since you’ll already have one human, I say go gnome for your caster. The extra Int is pretty good, and Escape Artist does come in handy. Also take Engineering. :slight_smile:

Just, if you’re not going warlock, level up your rep with Ironforge and get a ram mount instead of a mechachocobo.

6 Likes

The worst part about playing a gnome is when you upgrade your gear half the time you can’t even see it, they’re just tiny. And this might not matter as much in retail, but there’s no transmog in Classic.

6 Likes

Definitely Gnome. Leveling is a huge part of the game and Escape Artist will save your life many, many times. Whether it is from getting stunned while running away from a bad pull or those damn rogues, you’ll be happy you took it.

2 Likes

That’s actually one of the main reasons I won’t miss transmog. Gnomes aren’t exactly fashion plates, though I enjoy them and they get the job done. At least my clown gear will be less noticeable is how I’m trying to approach it.

Escape Artist doesn’t work on Stuns. Only roots and snares.

If you roll one of those ugly little imps for 5% bonus int then I think your priorities are a bit otta whack.

Punt every gnome you see.

6 Likes

gnome for sure. smarter, harder to hit in bgs, escape artist is great. punting jokes are great opportunities to bite knee caps and ankles. only downside is you can get stuck on terrain and some staircases require you jump to each step but dont recall if any of those are in vanilla. you may also have to swim across water that other people dont but usually, since everyone gets dismounted in water in vanilla, water that dismounts is typically deep enough it causes swimming regardless of height. just be prepared to swim alot more than others. if mage, can blink in water in vanilla, i do believe.

4 Likes

Human. They are better at not being small.

7 Likes

small is good.

2 Likes

Being a gnome will make u a huge target for horde, some horde will camp u just for being a gnome…

1 Like

If it can be a gnome, you pick gnome.

2 Likes

Then go stereotypical female twin tails pink hair gnome atleast.

good. :sunglasses:

I have struggled with this for years as a Tauren. YEARS!

All of my boots are just some colored hock warmers. It’s a damn shame.

There is something to be said for being small in PVP, and that Engineering bonus is great. Did you know that any engineering combat pets you make are a little higher than everyone else’s who is not a Gnome?

Gnomes have multiple racials that stack in their favor.
Additional Int
Escape Artist
Small Size (made a smaller by pots/trinkets)
Being small is a large benefit in PvP for targeting reasons.

1 Like

Go gnome for sure. The rep thing isn’t that big of deal, and the intel racial is helpful. And who doesn’t like punting gnome jokes?

Crippling poison is the Mage killer, not the stuns.

escape atrist doesn’t remove posions.

IMHO the only thing humans have going for them is that their female models are the least absurd.
The only thing gnomes don’t have going for them is lack of a healer class.

2 Likes