Mage: Arcane, Fire, Frost. Best Specialization

I play a Fire Mage level 56. Love the play-style and rotations. But I would like to know what the general consensus is at this time. Which spec is considered the best in PVE, and Leveling Dungeons.

Also once at max level which Mage Spec offers the best utility in M+ groups?

I understand Classes and Specs boil down to the flavor of the month. But I would still appreciate hearing your opinions.

Thank you.

PvE as in questing? Arcane or Frost.

No idea what’s best. I love arcane for the aesthetic and fire for its playstyle. Both of which are looking pretty good for TWW.

not fire - it is fun to play but not so great on damage imo

Any spec is fine.
I stick to frost now, for the better control/snares.

I love frost, but I will be trying out Fire with the Hero Talents.

My Blood Elf Mage alt is definitely going to be Fire with the new Mage set from MoP remix mixed with Blood Elf Heritage. He will cosplay as Kael’thas!

Wait people do this? I swapped from fire to arcane around wrath and stayed arcane through all the rest of the expansions. I’ve always done this with all my characters, my main gnome rogue I’ve had since late vanilla has always been assassination cause i loved the poison theme.

It really depends on your gameplay. From a purely ‘I want the best spec in the hands of an expert’ it’s Fire Mage.

I’ve found Frost easier to pickup as a spec itself.

The best spec is whichever one you find fun.

Coincidentally, it’s fire for me. 2nd is arcane.

1 Like

You can be arcane mage and do this

I tend to mostly fire whenever I play a mage. Though I actually prefer to level as arcane. I dungeon spam and arcane mage does better imo.

Frost is fine, it’s not really engaging to me and comes off as basic. I’ll play it, but it bores me.

Frost is the easiest to play imo.

afaik Arcane suffers in low level content because you don’t really get to do your rotation and Arcane is mostly a ramp spec, Fire also kind of has this problem but to a lesser degree. I think Fire is generally considered the best mage spec right now but I don’t play that much.

Personally speaking I didn’t like how fire played, I didn’t like having to play so much around combust timing and it felt very busy, but that’s me.