Madseason - Pristine Servers

You can’t go back and experience something again and have it be like the first time. You can’t do it with games, you can’t do it with TV shows, you can’t do it with movies, you can’t do it with riding a roller coaster. NO activity. Real life doesn’t work that way.

3 Likes

Here’s the deal with pristine servers.

Ion started to talk about pristine servers back when lots of people were asking for classic wow and classic servers, back in the day when the official line was “You think you do but you don’t”. In retrospect they were already deep in discussion about how to create WoW classic. But at the time they didn’t want anything to become common knowledge until they had an announcement to make.

“Pristine servers” were intended to deflect from speculation about WoW Classic, not to be made into a game mode. It worked as far as it was needed to. Then they announced WoW Classic, and pristine servers just went away.

It wasn’t a deflection, it was a possible alternative before they actually committed to Classic. Something fairly simple to implement that might hit the same key points as Classic but in a more modern environment to appeal to a potentially wider group instead of diehard classic fans / private server people.

It didn’t ever get any real traction from the people asking for Classic. It was people who didn’t care about Classic who expressed interest in Pristine Servers.

Same. Any more I might give him a chance, like “alright dude, I’ll give you a click but the second you mention LFD, LFR, the token, or throw up some graph showing Wrath was WoW’s peak popularity for the millionth time and I’m out”. Which usually happens about two to five minutes in every other video.

2 Likes

That’s your opinion. I never got the feeling that the idea of a pristine server had been developed to the point of being a concept. As soon as I heard them make the announcement about Classic, I figured pristine servers had never been intended to be anything more than a distraction.

These servers would be an entirely new thing. What are you guys even talking about?

Just like 2019 Classic eh?

You’re speculating and stating it as fact. I wonder what you’ll say

about in the future.

The thing for me at the moment is they aren’t offering anything by way of a progressive Vanilla server, and by all appearances won’t be any time soon. SoD is a gross amalgamation of the two. If they’re gonna go that route I’d rather try out an actual MMORPG (i.e. retail without the MTX and lobby-game systems) that has actual development resources put into it, and that seems possible with pristine servers.

I do not enjoy retail for many reasons, but the lion’s share of those reasons are directly mentioned in their pitch for PS.

I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, anything less than no changes Vanilla was unacceptable at the time. It was do or die, and compromising would have lost us momentum and Classic 2019 may never have existed.

You’re literally speculating lol.

The fact that JAB pitched PS as an alternative to Classic is not opinion. It’s fact.

Yeah as a vanilla Andy, pristine servers are the same as retail to me.

It is like me saying “I like chocolate”, and blizzard going “here’s a lobster”

Absolutely agreed in the scope of Classic vs PS. It isn’t a replacement.

I’d prefer progressive Vanilla, but I’d give PS a shot.

People trying to recapture their MMO innocence.

Never going to happen. You know too much.

9 Likes

My face when that blue post was from 2016…

It was from before they relaunched classic.

Considering classic Cata now has tokens, heirlooms, and most of the things they discussed NOT adding in that post, I think they went the opposite direction.

1 Like

Literally, the only way to recapture this is to play a new game blindly without a focus on the meta. You know some of those New World players that just cut down trees for hours on end? Be that kind of player.

I know effectively nothing about retail

The thing is that it takes a community of players doing that sort of thing. I’m also not sure where you guys got the idea I’m trying to play off meta or something, I’m just trying to play an actual MMORPG. I’m looking for WoW without MTX bloat and invasive QoL. I want to play on a server where groups are formed manually and travel through the world to get where they’re going. I’m not trying to keyboard turn when I get there.

You’re correct. But you’ll need to find similar players like that.

The simple fact is that modern gaming has changed, and the players have too.

2 Likes

You can still play Classic Era Vanilla.
They kept those servers on.

It doesn’t have any of the cross realm, group finder, tokens, heirlooms, and such.

The problem of asking for “just one server” is that when it opens all the tourists will flood it which forces blizzard to open more servers. Those servers die and we’re back to cross realm as the fix.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the true spirit of classic be to have to pay to transfer or create a new character on another realm, if your server is dead? I’d think the classic lovers would adore this type of nostalgia.

You would think.

Instead Blizzard typically gives out Free Character Transfers when a server becomes dead like that.

Surprisingly not always about the $$$

2 Likes

#nochanges unless they are the changes that I want.

5 Likes

You can get close with a like-minded group of people.

the reddit debate bros have decided “ad hominem” is just a synonym for “insulting”

The classic player base killed itself with buying so much gold that bots bacame an issues and the constant elitist mentality and how price were inflated due to gold buyers made no sense.

There wasn’t any cash shop on classic and you guys still abuse it to death. I have no respect for classic players / content creator. Blizzard need to stop wasting money on Classic and focus where it matters. Retail, that’s where people are, no flexing they kill a boss that was released 20 years and been done over and over and over on Pservers for years.

Cheating will never stop on classic, it’s a waste time and effect and above all, MONEY, to allocate it more ressource.

1 Like