Made a mistake in selling out

Correct.

And Activision-Blizzard has nothing to do with Blizzard games or Activision games. Blizzard develops and publishes their own games. Activision publishes CoD and whatever else I have no idea because I don’t play Activision games.

Incorrect. You play WoW, which is a Blizzard-Activision game. We wouldn’t have gotten classic without the go-ahead from Activision, I can promise you that. Blizzard makes zero changes without the okay from Activision.

I don’t either, but I certainly have an idea, because I use a Blizzard, BattleNet launcher, and I see a section called Partner Games.

I suppose this could have been Blizzard’s design team’s decision, but I’m skeptical.

The game developers developing a game they wanted to play was developed by table top gamers who liked both table top rpgs and Everquest.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m relatively aware. I grew up playing both styles of table-top games. We had a Galaga table-top at home (Arcade Video game), and I played D&D, and a lot of the Paladium RPG dice-rolling/character sheet games.

WoW during BC was where my highschool friends and I found ourselves in the game that was what we had sort of imagined when we hung out together, and played those table-top RPG games.

1 Like

You have absolutely zero evidence for that. Conspiracy theories are bad, mmk?

2 Likes

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, not in the least. I’ve worked for semi-big corps before, and damage control is 100% a thing that corporations do, all the time.

Blizzard may be the ones creating the content, but that content has to be pitched to the guys uptairs (Activision) before they’ll spend money on development. You think Blizzard are the ones who put it in the in-game cash shop? That’s just silly.

5 Likes

Really, this is the total truth when it comes to WoW. It’s basically EQ with a lot of the tedium stripped out and a better combat system.

Best kinda RPG

1 Like

Activision may not directly influence any Blizzard decisions, but corporate culture tends to bleed over.

However, I feel like there was a fairly recent article from Kotaku talking about how the Activision influence at Blizzard was growing.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

I guess you’re going to conveniently ignore the numerous paid character services that existed long before Activision-Blizzard became a thing. I guess you’re going to ignore the trading card game with rare loot cards Blizzard created in 2006. Blizzard in 2006 created the first iteration of loot boxes.

3 Likes

Those are completely different things. I’m pretty certain i read somewhere that character transfers were paid because they required individual attention, it wasn’t automated like it is today. Also, creating physical cards cost money. No company that makes trading cards gives them away for free. The issue is digital goods and loot boxes, which didn’t become a thing until after Activision came along.

Activision started doing Lootboxes with CoD, then guess what? Hearthstone with card packs and Overwatch with loot boxes.

1 Like

You do realize companies evolve and how they make money evolves too, right? The trading card game was the first version of loot boxes, anyone with a lick of sense can understand this. Virtually nobody played that game, they gambled on buying the packs to get the rare loot cards.

If you think Blizzard would have never further developed their money making tactics without Activision, I’m sorry but that’s a little naieve. Anyways, I wouldn’t bother responding to my posts any longer because I’m adding this little custom script to my uBlock:

blizzard.com##article[data-user-id="1038100"]>div[class="row"]

Blizzards income was subscription based. They never ONCE tried to leech money out of their players until years after Activision took over and started making changes.

Not sure why you’re white knighting Activision, they ruin everything they touch.

3 Likes

You block me because you can’t handle people disagreeing with you and with valid points. My time was wasted, gg.

3 Likes

I’m just providing facts and dispelling your false narrative. In what case do you believe Blizzard statements? When it confirms your biases?

When Blizzard makes mistakes, I blame Blizzard. I don’t scapegoat onto a company that has absolutely nothing to do with Blizzard games, as stated by Blizzard employees dozens of times.

Conspiracy theories shut down by Blizzard employees on this forum are not valid points.

1 Like

LFG didn’t come in until 3.3, the tail end of the game and you’re overlooking the influence Ghostcrawler had on that team. late wotlk and Cata was mostly his decisions.

Most of the developers at the time resisted the influence of activision, especially mike. Once they all started leaving is when we started getting all the “cosmetic mounts”.

I agree, current blizzard doesn’t seem to want to make an actual RPG - they want to make banjo-kazooie.

Just because they say it doesn’t make it 100% true to life. Activision has had a large impact on the way they monetize and develop games. Have you not seen the stuff that has been coming out of Bungie?

The greenlight for classic was made by mike morhime.

trading cards are different from in game services… you actually get the cards - something that holds monetary value.

if we’re calling trading cards “loot boxes” then you can’t say they were the first they have been around since the 1860s.

1 Like

I believe the context of “first” wasn’t intended as this interpretation, but rather prior to Activision.

“The greenlight for classic was made by mike morhime.” and i’m 100% sure he had to ask shareholders to fund it and convince them it’d be profitable.

i wish activision just do like Konami and make sloth machine. Like why do you still make game. Like plz stop