MacroEditBox weird problem after 8.2.5

Since 8.2.5, the function MacroEditBox is triggering an “Interface failed because of an Addon” when I try to use it for chat messages, like a /s or /y, but now with emotes… But only if used inside an Addon code!

See the below example:

MacroEditBox:GetScript("OnEvent")(MacroEditBox, "EXECUTE_CHAT_LINE", "/e is testing stuff")
MacroEditBox:GetScript("OnEvent")(MacroEditBox, "EXECUTE_CHAT_LINE", "/s I'm testing stuff, work already!!!")

This will print the emote on the chat, but not the “say”, triggering the interface fail message. Strangely enough, this only happens within addon code, because i made a simple macro with the following content, for testing purposes:

/script MacroEditBox:GetScript("OnEvent")(MacroEditBox, "EXECUTE_CHAT_LINE", "/s this works in a macro!")

This is all part of an Addon I use for RP purposes on my skills, called SpeakinSpell, that broke after 8.2.5. I’ll need the help of someone more Savvy than me, because I never coded in LUA before, I just scavenged this error after some hours of research.

Can anyone light a spark?

EDIT:
The problem also occurs with the SendChatMessage function. The following code will render the same error:

SendChatMessage("this is just a test" ,"SAY");

Crazy stuff that I have no idea how to solve!

My understanding is that Blizz intentionally broke the functionality. Saying things now requires a hardware event.

write it to your own chat log instead, no one else will see it but its about all you can do at the moment

Boy it sure would be nice if we got proper patch notes that documented these sort of changes.

3 Likes

haha… /cries

2 Likes

Does anyone know if this still works on BGs? I’ve read it will work on dungeons and raids, but I couldn’t log in yet to test on BGs.

Oh boy, I hope it does.

More seriously speaking, they do make proper patch notes for API changes but they skipped this one even though it had the most severe API restrictions. Maybe because it’s a minor patch

They rarely document API changes like this in detail in the regular patch notes.

Sometimes we will get a blue post when there are big changes, and the devs in those threads will often stick around and get into the nitty gritty if people have questions, but those are specific to huge changes when they know a bunch of things will break, or when they are introducing entirely new functionality or methodology.

More commonly, they will change or protect an API, a bunch of stuff breaks, a bunch of people will make highly upvoted posts about it, a CM pops up with a “we’re looking into it”, and you get no response for weeks or months, until people either forget about the problem or give up on getting it fixed.

See this 8.2 thread for an example: UI Changes in Rise of Azshara

First post describes a bunch of big changes to how frames are drawn and anchored - huge impact, needs to be documented or a bunch of stuff breaks.

Second post corrects a misstatement from the OP.

Third post is literally “thanks for mentioning this issue, we are looking into it”.

Months later, no response from Blizzard about the sound file replacement they have been “looking into” this entire time. Not in the 8.2 changes thread, not in any of the other threads created on the topic, not on Reddit, nothing.

1 Like

Where do we find out the irc info for us new addon devs to get details like you stated in previous posts

join the wowuidev discord or wow addons discord
https://discord.gg/sVQCHr5
https://discord.me/addons

Thank you!

I noticed it as well, and sadly I am not a programmer either, just another gamer who loves to be witty or silly. And now it seems I can’t.
The game as lost it’s charm now. I’m probably either going to delete it, or just set all my speakinspell macros to emotes from now on. Blizzard apparently hates roleplayers, or addon users. I dunno. I just can’t fix it, I have no idea how to do it. It’s a shame the mod owner doesn’t update it anymore. I wish it was still maintained. :_(

So basically what I’m reading here is that Speakinspell has not just fallen into disrepair because patches, but that it’s functionality has been specifically prevented, at least outside of instances? Am I interpreting this correctly?

So barring some very creative programming, this is making it sound like it CAN’T be fixed. Which is incredibly upsetting.

This is probably back to front as the creative programming would probably lead to some barring (you from the game). The intent on Blizzards side is pretty obvious although the default approach has always been pretty ham fisted and is fast becoming detrimental.

I’m glad I found this thread, because I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why only emotes were working in Speakinspell triggers, and not /say or /yell events. Closure is bittersweet, but at least now I know why my characters all fell silent.

I don’t suppose there’s any sort of way to get the Devs’ attention and attempt to save this functionality like what happened with CrossRP and the Elixir of Tongues implementation. Are there even enough of us that use Speakinspell to get their attention?

Also it’s cruelly ironic that their Ethereal toy that turns you into a random boss basically does the same thing as Speakinspell, but with boss voice lines…