Macro to intimidate if counter shot is on CD

Which is what I said in my first post in the thread, while linking to a post that explains the macro system in detail.

Ok, let’s make sure we are all on the same page.

Use the macro. First press, Counter Shot. Second press, Intimidation. Third press, Counter Shot.

When you go to press it a 4th time, Counter Shot will be off CD at 24 sec, but Intimidation still has 36 sec remaining. If you press the macro when Intimidation shows 40 sec remaining, it will fail to fire (because Intimidation is on CD),
and will then sit on Intimidation until it shows 16 sec remaining,

(ok at this point if you hit the button while you have nothing up and both are on cd then it will reregister the key stroke and start a 24 second timer all over again before it reopens counter shot) (so if he spams the button when nothing is up then its going to keep restarting the cd and not reset to counter shot) as long as he doesnt do this then it works just fine not sure i see the problem here, spamming a non usable move is his only issue if hes dumb enough to do so?

at which point it switches back to Counter Shot. If you press the macro again when Intimidation shows, say, 20 sec remaining, it will be stuck on Intimidation until you either use it, or 4 seconds after Intimidation is off CD.

This is an issue especially with reflexive abilities like interrupts because (for me at least) I am usually pressing the keybind before I even register whether it is off CD or not.

which should allow which ill test now him to still use intimidate as scheduled at the 40 second mark he would just miss out on the counter shot due to his own random mashing…usually you dont spam a non off cd button less you have special fingers

I press Counter Shot when I see a spell cast I want to interrupt. I don’t bother to check if it’s on CD first because I want the interrupt to fire as fast as possible. The only exception is when I’m mid-Aimed Shot, in which case I check if my cast will finish before theirs, I’ll wait to interrupt so I can finish my cast if possible.

Of course since I have a dedicated keybind for it, this causes me precisely zero problems.

I wouldn’t call that “special fingers”. I would call that reacting quickly.

reacting before a move is up is a responsibility to know whats on cd and whats not, if you want to get further you need to learn this, not sure your experience in general but that seems strange to me i dont spam buttons when they arent up yet i watch my cds closely for that. but to each is own, the most worry hed have in this entire macro would be misusing it and resetting the 24 second timer repeatedly if it wasnt up and he kept hitting it needlessly otherwise this macro is working as intended

I have always done interrupts (and only interrupts) this way, going back to Silencing Shot in TBC. I used to play on a terrible connection and worse laptop (sub 15 FPS in Karazhan on minimum settings, with 400+ ping), so spamming the second I saw the spellcast was the most reliable way to actually land the interrupt. It’s ingrained in muscle memory at this point.

At any rate, my point stands. The macro can break and get stuck if you misclick at a bad time in the sequence. Thus I don’t recommend castsequence macros for this kind of thing.

They have their place - my shaman has his weapon imbues and Lightning Shield on a sequence for example - and you could probably use them for very low cooldown abilities with little downside, but once you get beyond 10 sec or so the risk outweighs the small benefit of saving a single keybind. Especially since you would need Intimidation bound separately anyway, because there are times you want to stun without interrupting, like when fighting a melee DPS.

there is almost no risk to this macro though is my point…its working as intended so he hit the macro for counter shot before counter shot is off cd then he will make himself wait 24 seconds longer but thats during one point in the chain and would have to make that mistake. if he hits the macro 1 or 2 many times as hes spamming counter shot when it is up, it wont even matter cept to delay his counter shot by 1 2 button pushes at the next counter shot…i myself advised against him using a macro. I just gave him a generic option for what he asked for…its the closest thing to what he wanted as there was no other way to give him any option. i myself would never use one. it would slow you down id rather use intimidate and counter shot to selectively as a pvp player. but for him it sounds like hes wanting a basic fix to help him.either way ive typed a lifetime im done have a good day, use it or don’t his call

OP literally said he wanted it because he forgets which ability is in CD, so yeah there is real risk there.

But ok.

1 Like

one question i have though is if a reset=24 macro resets on the last button push, why when you press counter shot, (1 click) and then later intimidate(2 clicks) within 20 seconds does my macro show 4 seconds on counter shot timer on the macro right as i intimidate if it supposed to register the last click not the first click…doesnt make sense

It resets when it reaches the end of the sequence, or when the sequence idles for 24 sec, whichever comes first.

The problem where it gets stuck is when it can’t complete the sequence and you press it before the reset timer is up.

Ok so ur last message was actually very well worded and makes sense. That explains the resetting conditions I was seeing. I still maintain that’s a misuse of the macro but if misused by accident would incure the idle timer that was the conditional timer problem you were referring too. So I see your stand point.

My take is for a less experienced or button masher that could be problematic in a way that they aren’t controlled and are more likely to do that. I do not play that way but Ive also been playing since bc so what works for me doesn’t work for all I get that.

I wouldn’t use it anyway like I said. At 2400 arena if get my face rearranged playing with that. It like I said was an answer to a problem he asked for a quick fix to put them into a macro together with the conditional when one was down the button would trigger the second. This accomplishes this without any perma breaking. And works 100% if used correctly.

Obviously one must account for user error. But I see your point and can empathize with your feelings of it being problematic if used incorrectly

Two separate conditions.

Reset after completing the sequence (e.g. firing all abilities successfully)

OR

Reset after not attempting to advance the sequence for 24 sec.

When Intimidation fires, the sequence completes, and resets.

If you fire Counter Shot and wait 24 sec without ever using Intimidation, the sequence hits the reset timer and resets.

If you attempt to fire Intimidation while it is on CD, you reset the idle timer, extending it by another 24 sec, and since Intimidation is still in CD, you have no means to force an early reset, even if Counter Shot is available to cast directly.

1 Like

One thing I’d say though is def have counter shot and intimidate also on ur bars if you do use this macro. As a fail safe

Yes there is. Whereas there is no risk whatsoever in using separate keybinds. It eliminates a lot of opportunity for human error in this case.

It also doesn’t always make sense to stun DR a target just because you reflexively try to interrupt when there’s a second left on the CS CD.

By macro-ing it together he is gimping himself that wasn’t my point. My point was if he’s wanting to have it together then he’s made the choice for easier non reactive type play. The macro won’t hurt him due to its small hitch. Not like the macro will perma freeze or something. He’s not going to miss any seconds of cd 99% of time and have to spam the button obnoxiously while CDs aren’t even up to keep messing up the idle timer bad enough to be waiting around for intimidate. As long as he has a brain it’s not as bad as ur trying to make it out as. In an arena match I’d still be fine using that macro. If I was actually going to be kicking and stunning that target. I just personally wouldn’t less I was cutting corners. Oh talking to a challenger my mistake. Thought I was talking to someone knowledgeable

Yikes you guys…

He wanted a button to press so he didn’t have to worry about cooldowns.

He wants to push the button whenever he wants without looking at anything, and if intimidation is off cooldown, the button casts counter shot. If counter shot is off cooldown, he wants it to cast intimidation.

Meaning, he wants to just spam the key and not pay attention to cooldowns.

Meaning, there is not a macro to do that.

…all this nonsense for nothing :joy:

1 Like

This is just unnecessary to say to someone… and the fact that you would think it’s a remotely good or even “useable” idea to tie a stun and an interrupt into the same button, when a stun can be used in instances the silence cannot be used in PvP baffles me.

Stop suggesting stupid things be used just to prove your point that the macro “works.” Its a bad macro, and putting those two abilities into the same hotkey and always using both of them as just an interrupt is absolutely dumb in the open world, mythic+, arena and battlegrounds.

1 Like

Obviously you didn’t read any past posts above. When I said several times that I don’t advocate for doing that. Multiple times. follow a thread before butting in. I gave a macro for something a guy asked for on this thread. I said multiple times that I don’t think it’s a good idea but that if he was going to want it anyway that was the macro that did the closest to what he wants.

The reason I brought that mean part up is due to the rogue basically acting as if he knew better everytime I’d say something.

Then u come out white knighting too. Nice to see you didn’t even read.

Once again macroing it together wasn’t my idea it was the ops. If someone is going to overly make it a point to correct someone they should at least have a skill set to back it. If he doesn’t want his experience called out he shouldn’t argue with people much higher.

That’s like me arguing with a rank 1 on what works and doesn’t. I’m more respectful than that towards people who earn my respect.

Once again I do not believe using a macro with these 2 moves is wise. But if you are going to want it then there it is for you.

i think this can help all of hunters, if we figure it out together

There is no figuring it out.

You are intentionally not able to cast a spell based on whether another spell is on cooldown.

Read this sticky:
Macros: Essential Information

Everyone’s so focused on the macro they didn’t realize that what this guy needs is a Weak Aura.

Get an addon like Weak Auras or TellMeWhe (my personal favorite) that will allow you to know when your stuff is off CD. No macro can replace situational awareness.

1 Like