Macro icons controlled by showtooltip not updating properly since 10.0

Since 10.0 some of my macros icons stop changing properly. For example, if I have this:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod]SpellA;SpellB

Since 10.0 some of my macros would always be stuck on showing the icon and tooltip for SpellB, even when I held down a mod key. Also, if the icon for an ability had changed for 10.0, the icon was stuck on the pre-10.0 image (like with Fishing).

An easy fix but kind of annoying to go into each and every macro that used “#showtooltip” and click the “Change Name/Icon” button, then reselect “?”, click OK and then click Save. Over and Over again.

In case anyone else runs into this odd issue

EDIT: I think the tooltip would change correctly for the various macro options but the icon image was stuck

3 Likes

Weird, haven’t run into that one yet.

This patch was a bit of a doozy for weird little UI bugs.

I remember when I copied over to the PTR, I had all sorts of similar issues with my macros. Between that and the fact that I relied so very heavily on the [talent] conditional, I ended up planning on just remaking my macros after the patch hit. (I had a text file ready to go for copy/pasting into the game.) I didn’t spend a lot of time exploring the state of my old macros after the patch, but they were absolutely a mess. I realize that’s probably the opposite of what you wanted to hear, but at least you know you aren’t alone?

My priest macro is acting like this too, tooltip changed but icon not updating.

like:

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,exists,nodead][] Penance();
/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead][] Devouring Plague
/run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("CL.R.Pena/DevPlg", G"Penance" or G"Devouring Plague")
#showtooltip
/cast [spec:1,@mouseover,exists,nodead][spec:1] Penance(); [spec:3,@mouseover,harm,nodead][spec:3] Devouring Plague

I’m out of ideas.

Looks correct. Make sure you’ve chosen the ? for the icon. I’d also remove the () from the end of Penance and see if that helps.

used the ? for the icon worked, didnt know how i did not chose ? for the icon… silly me

2 Likes

Personally I think one of 2 things is happening, either

1. the conversion to 10.0 overwrote the “?” with whatever showtooltip was using as the default OR
  2. When you change a macro (for example, update the /cast lines in it) when you click Save, it also saves the current icon image and overwrites the “?”. My reasoning is that when I do click on the Change Name/icon button, it now ALWAYS selects the current icon image, EVEN if you explicitly selected the “?” image during a previous save.

I’m decently macro-savvy and there’s absolutely no way in hell I would have chosen the icon images explicitly for the macros that “malfunctioned”.

another bump

sigh

I don’t know if this is causing what you all are experiencing but just in case…
In the blizzard settings they reset / added some options for ‘default self casting’ binds.
It defaulted it to be alt-key combinations.
To change it go to: Options → Combat → Self Cast Key and set it to none.

Still having this Macro Icon update issue. My macro uses castsequence and does not change. It stays on Lightning Shield

#showtooltip
/castsequence Lightning Shield, Windfury Weapon, Flametongue Weapon

I’ll bump as well. Just started DF about a week ago and doing a full UI setup on an alt and I’m running into this issue.

As has been previously stated, make sure you’re using the ? for the icon.

This has been happening at least since Shadowlands. For me it is intermittent. Some days it cycles correctly and some days it stays on the first icon. I haven’t found a fix yet

Bump. I’m not a fan of necroing old threads, but this issue hasn’t been resolved. I’m still having this problem, even on new macros that I create.

1 Like

Hey I know this is old but I was having this issue in SOD classic with the following:

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=2 Thorns, Mark Of The Wild;

The fix? got rid of the end “;” and it updates now. Weird.

That’s because ; in a castsequence is used for adding additional sequences with different conditions and leaving it empty probably makes showtooltip sad or something.

Bump
playing SoD

Have selected “?” like a hundred times now and the icon is not reflecting correctly. I deleted my WoW cache and the icon is still not reflecting properly.

Strange thing is: since my macro is a stance-based thing, when I swap stances for a very brief moment it will show the correct icon.

Other funny thing: If I save the macro on the “?” in a different stance it will get stuck on that icon.

*edit
This is also happening with ALL my macros. It automagically selects the icon listed after selecting the “?” and hitting “ok” and “save”
It immediately switches off of the “?”

This is still broken.

I’ve experienced this as well. Still very much broken.
We should only need to use the following, along with the ? icon:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Spell2; Spell1

The only long term solution I’ve found, is duplicating the use/cast/etc line in with the #showtooltip line.

#showtooltip [mod:shift] Spell2; Spell1
/cast [mod:shift] Spell2; Spell1

Since we have such a small character limit on macros, this is an AWFUL workaround…

Just change the icon back to the ? and they’ll start working again properly. You don’t need to hardcode the tooltip.