Macro for Arena1 target/target

Im not sure if im setting this macro up properly or not and would like some help. Ive searched for a macro like this but have so far havent found it yet.

Im trying to cast a spell on arena target one if available otherwise cast on current target.

#showtooltips Counterspell
/stopcasting
/cast [@arena1, exists] [@target] Counterspell

I havent tested it in arenas because my mage isnt able to do them yet. But im setting up my keybindings to prepare. Would this select the arena target first if it was available? otherwise just cast the spell normally?

1 Like

#showtooltip
/stopcast
/cast [@arena1,nodead][@target] counter spell

But you’ll always kick arena1 with that and not your target. Just run " /cast [@arena1] counter spell "

You can run a mod for shift or something to kick arena1 only or target only, would look something like

/cast [nomod, @arena1]
/cast [mod: shift, @target]

But i don’t use mod macros so that could be slightly off

2 Likes

Yes, but arena1 will always be available as long as you’re in arena. So in the world it will default to @target, but in arena it will always attempt to cast on arena 1 and fail to do anything if target is los or dead. You can fix the second issue via the nodead condition, causing it to move on to @target. Also, I know back in the day sometimes a single stopcasting wasn’t enough and you had to add a second one. Don’t know if that’s still the case, but I still throw in the second one anyways. Also, with macros like this you’ll constantly have to change it to arena1, arena2, or arena3 since the healer will not always be arena1.

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/stopcasting
/cast [@arena1, exists, nodead] [@target] Counterspell

This lacks the exists conditional, and will always attempt to target arena 1 unless arena1 is dead. So if you’re in the world, it will literally not work.

4 Likes

I think you should have different macros to swap with when you’re queuing. I have @arena1 that I swap with an @target macro and the rest of its modifiers when I’m pveing out in the world.

Another issue is when you’re doing BGs. Flag carriers will exist as @arena1 so trying to CS an enemy in front of you when the FC exists somewhere else will make it so your CS isn’t able to go off.

1 Like

Thank you all for the reply. This cleared it up for me. Many blessings be upon you.

How would you make it so if you wanted to use it as a modshift for the line?

/cast [@arena1, exists, nodead] [@target] Fear but i want to add nomod and shift mod to this, would you mind helping?

1 Like

/cast [mod:shift, @arena1, exists, nodead] Ability; Ability
or
/cast [mod:shift, @arena1, exists, nodead] [@target] Ability

You don’t really need the [@target] conditional since the default is to cast on target unless you’re using a self cast modifier, but I added it in there for you.

2 Likes

/cast [nomod, @arena1, exists, nodead] [@target] Fear
/cast [mod:shift, @arena1, exists, nodead] [@target] Shadowburn

but its not working, thanks for replying btw

/cast [mod:shift, @arena1, exists, nodead] Fear; Shadowburn

1 Like

try
/cast [mod:shift, @arena1, exists, nodead] Shadowburn; [mod:shift] Shadowburn; [@arena1, exists, nodead] Fear; Fear

2 Likes

tyvm that was it, you’re a hero

1 Like

Here is a highly respected (and some would say official) website’s guide on this:
Wowhead Macros for Arena PvP: https://www.wowhead.com/guide/macros-for-arena-pvp-6086

This one also has very cool macros:

Wowhead Beginner’s Guide to PvP and Arena:

I also highly recommend Skillcapped. They have videos on this and even an “Ask a Pro” area for members on their Discord.