Macro - Castsequence gets stuck on first spell if spammed

I’m sure this is a common issue, but I can’t find any good posts about it. Basically, I only use a few castsequence macros. They all get stuck on the first spell if I spam the button too much.

I like to limit my main buttons to tilde thru 5 with alt, ctrl, and shift modifiers so I have quick access to 6 x 4 = 24 buttons.

Elemental Shaman has pushed me to doing a couple cast sequence macros. Here is one:

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=10 Elemental Blast, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt

And here is another:
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=25 Icefury, Frost Shock, Frost Shock, Frost Shock, Frost Shock

Nothing crazy, just basic castsequences.

However, if I spam the button for either of these, they just sit there on the first spell. This is obviously a problem since they will be on cooldown and lock me out from using the abilities I need to use (lightning bolt & frost shock).

Why would spamming the button cause the macro to do this, I wonder? How can I avoid it? How can something so basic not work properly?

I do use addons since I’m not a newb, but I don’t see how ElvUI could cause this kind of issue. It’s not the UI failing, it’s the macro itself. It’s really frustrating when I’m trying to kill stuff but nothing is happening, so I look and see the macro is stuck in Icefury and has 26 seconds left on the cooldown…

1 Like

The one good part about this issue is that it’s forcing me to be more patient and try to time button presses instead of spamming them. But sometimes I’m in panic mode and need the macro to just work.

Oh and just to clarify, the first spell in the macro will cast, but it doesn’t move on to the rest of the sequence - it, like, resets the macro or just sticks to the first spell.

My Ele and Resto macros are up-to-date, same premise as your setup, no cast sequences:

Oh ya, I don’t really mind having the rows of buttons on my screen, so I prefer to just have keybinds to different buttons rather than modifiers in the macros.

It’s kind of like Blizzard really wants you to not use cast sequences so they make them fail for no reason other than “you pushed it too many times before the first spell finished”.

Hmm, I’m trying to replicate the problem right now and can’t for some reason. There has to be some certain condition that causes it. I will try to figure that out, which might be a good clue. I figured it wasn’t happening EVERY time I spam it, but it happens enough to annoy me. I’ll update this thread if I figure out the conditions that cause it.

FYI that first post is from me. I didn’t realize I was on that old profile when I made the original post.

Update: In the heat of battle, it happens frequently. Even when the macro hasn’t been used in the current fight, if I start pushing the button for it before the previous spell is done, it will often get stuck on the first spell in the sequence and totally screws everything up and makes it so the cast sequence can’t be used. Sigh…

Update again: I changed my elemental shaman talents around to focus more on lava burst and to avoid having to cram in so many abilities and talents. I no longer need the cast sequences, which is good since they weren’t dependable. I just wish I knew why, for this character and my others.