Macro Addon

Are there any macro addons that you guys are using that are still supported? I’m looking for something like Macro Toolkit or something that increases the number of macro spots and/or the character limitations. I really don’t want to use GSE because that is really more than I am looking for. There have been several over the years, but they always seem to be abandoned over time.

I am playing TBC by the way.

Been using macros heavily since BC and never bothered with any extension addons outside of BindPad, which I use for macros I have keybound and don’t add to my action bars.

Look at “Mega Macro”. I haven’t used it and I don’t know if it has a TBC/Classic version.

“Long Macro” did have a classic version but its not maintained anymore :cry:

Thanks to both of you. I used a few different ones the first time around and depended on them heavily. It put me in a bad spot when they went bad. This time around I have avoided too many addons at all and have stayed within the limits of what is in-game for macros. I am about to start healing heavily again and stopped to look again.

It looks like Mega Macro has been abandoned. It may still work for now, but I’m reluctant to build around something that is no longer being supported. I guess I’ll just stay conservative and manage with what I have.

Thanks for the input!

I’m working on something now but it’ll be a week or two at best.

It’s not going to be as robust as MegaMacros (which I liked but did have some bugs).

But it will allow you to use all of the macro slots for each character - anyone who needs more than 138 macro slots for a character has . . . um . . . issues.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :wink:

Seriously, I use a lot of macros on my main so I have filled up the 18 slots for him. I am bleeding over into the general category. I can manage, but I just like the organization of keeping macros for just him out of the general tab.

I am playing TBC btw. I haven’t logged into retail in so long, I don’t know what that macro interface looks like at this point.

Shouldn’t be any different for this and it’s no going to change that.

This will operate directly on the macros themselves.

It’s going to make a backup of what’s there and load in what you have indicated you want for that character.

I’m using prefixes on the macro names and it will require unique names on every macro.

In addition to character level macros moved around like this, I’m allowing class, class/spec, and universally global macros as well and I’m considering racials.

There are other things going on, but that’s the gist.

I’m gonna put some time in on it today. But as I said, it’ll be a few weeks at best and that’s only if I can get this beast to actually work.

Sounds pretty awesome. I’m looking forward to trying it out!

I’ve got the classification part done and I can successfully copy out the macro library by player, class, class/spec, and univerally global.

It occurred to me I need racials in there to, but that’s mostly going to be just cloning a few functions.

MegaMacros had one huge complaint about it - that uninstalling was troublesome.

I’m working on the uninstall process right now.

Also, I’ve got one other issue I need to work out having to do with a certain level of fragility.

If you log in on one character, the game crashes and you don’t gracefully offload that character’s macros, logging back on on a different character could corrupt things.

I’m looking at a fix for that, but I haven’t quite gotten there yet.

I’m on track, but it’s about as complex a problem as I’ve ever tackled in this game.

1 Like

Not sure about the nature of the corruption, but could you save a flag on login and update it on graceful offload. Could be character name or otherwise. On login, you could check that flag to detect crash/unsuccessful offload and perform exception processing to prevent corruption?

Problem with that is that you only SAVE on reload and I really don’t want to have to force a reload as that’s very disruptive to play.

I was hoping for some sort of internal status flag I could check.

Nevermind.

I’m putting a prompt in on login if there are any macros there that don’t make sense.

That’ll have to do.

UPDATE: I’ve unsubbed the game. It’s my “Cancerversary” month which means scans and testing and the most recent scans require some additional treatment. I’ll be off until this is all sorted out. Sorry for not getting this done in time.