MacOS Ventura - collection of observations/bugs

To be clear, this isn’t a complaint or bug report. But since we’re using Ventura Macs to develop, I figured I’d install WoW on one of them, play it, and see what all falls out.

The mouse-move screen flicker is back - to be precise, the mouse pointer disappears during movement and reappears on mouse button up, which causes a brief flicker as the system seems to reacquire the modified mouse cursor. This happens only if the mouse cursor is over textured terrain or sky, not if it is over a uniform color. This seems to be a regression from earlier versions of WoW that was reintroduced with Ventura.

Update, just in case anyone else wants to play on Ventura:

Setting /console HardwareCursor 0 removes the flickering, as the cursor does not need to be redrawn every time you mouselook.

Stage Manager and WoW do (expectedly) not get along - can (and will, I bet) be easily fixed by calling the respective API call to exclude WoW in full screen windowed from Stage Manager. I don’t expect that to work in a version of WoW prior to the release of Ventura, but figured I’d bring it up.

Black Screen on Load - a simple trace shows, that getGFXHandle() crashes. This could be a bug in Ventura, but I figured I’d mention it.

However: I get better FPS (~90 killing rares in ZM) with a MacBookPro M1 8GB on Ventura than on Retail with a M2 16GB. I can’t wait to see what the M2 does with Ventura, but I am not crazy enough to use my main system for Beta MacOS experiments.

2 Likes

if you play WoW in Windowed mode, and resize the window, does the game crash? This is the big question

Yes, it still does. I don’t think that’s a Ventura issue and more a WoW one :frowning:

It’s an Apple bug that is apparently not fixed in the Ventura beta. There’s still time before release so hopefully they get off of their derrieres and do so. This is going to bite more than Blizzard’s rear end once others start using the proper Metal code. It’s only seen as a “WoW issue” because right now only WoW is known to use the correct Metal code that triggers the bug. Apple is going to really need to fix that bug on their end though as more game companies are considering porting to the Mac once more thanks to the M-Series’ exceptional capabilities.

2 Likes