MacOS client rendering issues and/or locking up

WoW Forever Beta: I was able to create a skyborn character and loaded into game, but the starting area was 100% green outdoors, like a shader was refusing to add red. Indoors looked fine, but outdoors did not.

Any other character I’ve made and starting area I’ve tried to get to, I see the loading screen, it gets to 100%, stays on the loading screen, I hear the cinematic playing in the background, and then it locks up the entire computer. It doesn’t matter if it’s fullscreen or windowed, just a hard lock up and a forced reboot. I’ve tried this 4 times now with different characters and different starting zones. Same result every time.

Mac Studio M2 Max, 32 GB, MacOS 27 (Golden Gate)

Hope this can get fixed. :slight_smile:

Move the graphics slider all the way to the left

This worked for me. Slid the graphics slider to 1, applied and then back up to 4 and it worked out.

I’ll note that turning off the “Optional GPU Features” got rid of the green tint on everything, too. But still lots of black/missing textures for foliage and some spell effects currently.

Yep… lots of black/missing textures is a thing once you get the game stable enough to play with the Mac Client.

same issue here. everything is so green and so dark. Grass/Tree is completely black

Sliding to 1 didn’t work for me on an M5 Max. Also turning on AA made everything go super dark on log in screen

To the powers-that-be, playing with the graphics settings slowly to try and nail down where problems are appears to be a crap-shoot:

  • Sometimes “Optional GPU Features” makes everything green. Sometimes everything is green w/o it. But toggling it will always fix the problem.
  • I can turn on most things to high (or even to max) settings to get all the new environmental effects, with great FPS. But it works only sometimes.
  • Trying to put “secondary lighting” to anything other than “fair” is a guaranteed computer lock-up requiring me to (essentially) pull the plug.

For other mac users, this is what I did:

  • Disable “Optional GPU Features”
  • Drop base game quality to lowest setting, click apply.
  • Increase the base game quality setting by 1 tick, click apply.
  • Legacy liquid detail → fair
  • PBR liquid detail → high
  • Particle density → high
  • Bloom intensity → high
  • Depth effects → high
  • Spell density → everything
  • Projected textures → enabled
  • View distance → max
  • Env. detail → max
  • Ground clutter → max

Hopefully this helps others.

I was able to play the game with Game Quality set lowest. I made all the adjustments listed and the game runs and looks great so thanks for this!

Followed Nylara’s settings and determined two culprits:

  1. Secondary Lighting - Anything above “Fair” will crash my Mac.
  2. Shadow Quality - Anything above “Low” removes the fog and in most cases creates the green/gray textures.

Also found that toggling “Optional GPU Feature” on/off can correct an issue where random areas of shaders/textures come out as green.