I have a new Mac Studio M5 Max (40GPU core) with 64GB of ram coming in a few weeks. The machine will come pre-loaded with macOS 27.
Is WoW - Retail working on macOS 27 beta/RC, and it seems WoW - Forever is the same engine, so I would assume that either will or wont work.
also, it is still sad that the battle.net launcher is still an intel binary, and still hasn’t been updated to a universal binary / arm64 binary. Clearly macOS 27 is Apple Silicon only, and macOS 28 will remove Rosetta 2 fully … and Intel machines haven’t been sold “new” in over 5 years… so hopefully they do some updates soon to the launcher?
We are actively investigating and planning for these changes, and you do not need to take any action at this time. Your game and the Battle.net App are still fully supported.
Yeah I saw that, that is more specific to the launcher… and sure they will need to fix it otherwise macOS is going to keep reminding everyone that it needs to be updated by the developer.
Just updated to Mac OS 27 on my M2 Ultra Mac Studio. It prompted to install Rosetta on the Battle.net launch. I.E. it is clearly still intel-based. They have until Mac OS 28 to get it right or lose all their Mac users. Which would be a shame for this 22 year veteran.
Is the performance horrible, because your system is re-indexing? That is typical after a new major OS update, especially this one as it is re-indexing everything for all of the new AI features… Or does the game have a bug?
performance is actually better, but after about a day. the first day macOS 27 is rebuilding spotlight for siri ai and other background tasks. it’ll feel sluggish the first day.
macOS 27 has optimizations to cpu scheduler, and metal. I’ve been on it a while now.
I let everything index. I deleted system caches, font caches etc so it’s like a fresh install, as I do with every major update.
The game stutters a bit more and doesn’t feel as buttery but I found out why: The Battle.net app needs to be closed. Any Rosetta apps running taxes the system.
it’s still not as smooth but I don’t believe this is Blizzard’s fault. My uncapped fps went from 150 to 110 and high 50s in just areas of Silvermoon. M+ can go as low as 70 fps.
So we still have another year before we lose access is that correct? I’m sorry it’s probably been posted several times but I get confused when I see updates like Rosetta two is now no longer supported. Given I don’t know much and I had been under the impression we have a year or so I wasn’t really worried about it for now. Anyway, I’m on M3 imac I did not update and I’m kind of afraid to to be honest
Confirming as others have, game and launcher runs fine on OS27.
When I first started the launcher I got the Apple pop-up to install Rosetta, when that completed the next launch of the launcher was a smidge slow but it functioned as normal. Indexing settled down after about five minutes.
macOS 27 (what was just released) is the first Apple Silicon (M1+) only macOS, and this is the first macOS that will NOT install on any Intel-based Mac. It will also technically uninstall Rosetta 2 (but it can be reinstalled) and if you do reinstall it, it will continue to remind you that you need to let the developer know that their app is not optimized (or native) for Apple Silicon.
Apple has already publicly announced that next years, macOS 28, will also be Apple Silicon (M1+) only, but Rosetta 2 will no longer be an option to install. There are some expectations to this rule, but in most cases it will not be supported.
Rosetta 2 allows you to run “Intel” based apps, on an M1+ machine.
Intel based Macs have not been sold new for many years, and at this point will not get any new major operating system updates. Some (mostly the latest) Intel models will still get minor bug fixes / security updates, but that time is also running out. Basically if you have an Intel machine, you should really consider upgrading… and trust me, it’s worth it.
WoW is already a native M1+ built game… the issue is the Battle.net launcher is still an Intel-based app, and has not been updated. Also the same issue with the new WC3 reforge expansion, it is also an Intel binary.
only reason you turned game mode off for WoW was if you did other things at same time, like stream or record videos, or us resource heavy webpages. because game mode starves other apps of resources.
I think there were other niche cases but I forgot them now