Mac Support Update -- November 16

Awesome Blizzard thank you!

If anyone has actual frame rate data would log to see it!

Just finished reading that post on Steam. Guess small indie company Zenimax just doesn’t have the resources for it.

Thanks for doing this, Blizzard! Glad to see you haven’t abandoned the platform. Now please do the same for Diablo 4 :slight_smile:

Yea, this is big news. I (I’m sure among most of us) do not have a new computer yet, but it’s nice to see Blizzard adopting it so quickly and supporting the platform.

Mind, I’m disappointed that D4 (appears) to be Windows only, but this is still a good sign from Blizzard.

Yeah, I think it’s important to support everyone no matter what platform they use. More platforms means more players and a variety of choices is always good. I’m happy when Windows or Linux players are supported and use their machines just as they like too.

I could never understand all of the platform wars. Android vs iPhone vs whatever, Windows vs Mac vs whatever, one car brand over another, and so on. Use what works for you and be happy that we have choices!

4 Likes

It’s possible but there are various UI elements and hardware support that might be issues. I have no doubt they could be worked around but they might take too much work to be worth it.

1 Like

This is awesome news. Although I just got a new 2020 iMac with all the bells and whistles (it is incredible), I am watching and eager to see what happens with the high-end M1 systems like the iMac in the future. If the low end is any indication… I can only imagine… :slight_smile:

Of course, if it could be done on an iPad, it could also be done on an Apple TV. The current models aren’t nearly as fast as the iPad, but rumor has it that’s going to change.

2 Likes

If tvOS gained mouse support (it already has BT KB support) and Apple TV a high-grade A-series or even M-series CPU, that’d be pretty interesting. I might not raid on it, but it’d make for an immersive questing setup on a 75" TV and nice set of speakers.

1 Like

Edit: I am thinking about a storage problem, is it possible to have an application as big as WoW on an iPad ?

So the answer is basically only on the most expensive iPad Pros. WoW is gigantic these days.

They could always do something like including only low or medium-resolution textures by default to reduce install size (would probably shave off between 30-40%) and offer high resolution textures as an optional download for people with enough storage.

1 Like

Yes, but I would rather have Blizzard create high-resolution textures that are appropriate for my 5K monitor. I’ve had a 5K monitor for over 6 years and I’m still playing WoW with textures that were meant for monitors a fraction of the size.

I was speaking about a potential iPad version specifically, the Mac version would continue to get texture improvements. Will add quote to post to clarify.

Sure, no problem. I don’t always read backwards to see the context, sorry.

Mmmm, WoW on HomePod. The bass rumble would be so satisfying!

Thank you SOOO much for this.

Anybody have any video of running Warcraft on M1 native?

Almost certainly not. When programming rather simple applications, esoteric details of the CPU architecture can be disregarded. I don’t imagine that was the case for WoW.

With controllers? Maybe.

THANK YOU!!!

I don’t have an M1 Mac yet but maaaaaaaaaan, this just made my!!

Question: If I update to 9.0.2 now on my intel Macbook Pro retina 2013 and then migrate to an M1 Macbook Pro, will I have to reinstall to access the ARM version? Or does the universal binary have 2 versions in it still even if i installed it on my intel Macbook Pro?

I remember Apple mentioning something about converting apps when installing.

Thank you Blizz!!! Keep up the Mac support!!

The World of Warcraft.app contains 2 executables (an x86_64 and arm64 executable) so every mac install of the game contains what’s needed to run on either architecture. The disk space cost of the arm64 executable is around 60MB. You won’t have to reinstall the game if you migrate your existing install to a new mac.

10 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for supporting ARM64, just would like some clarification, will this work on windows on ARM64 as well for the surface pro x?