M3/M2 Macbook pro - Right Click Issues

Hi guys. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a new M3 Macbook pro but I am encountering an issue that has been somewhat described else where. Right clicking using the trackpad to control player/camera movement works sporadically and often stops working all together. This also applies to right clicking within the inventory and elsewhere in game.

I wrote a small addon to display on screen when the right mouse button is being held down, so I can see the moment that it stops registering. Even with this, I still cannot discern any factors that contribute to it occuring.

Things I have tried:

• Multiple in-game scripts, cvar changes, fstack, fresh WoW installs, no addons, fresh mac OS install and updated to day one patch for Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.1 but nothing has changed the behaviour.
  • Multiple game versions (Classic Era, WoTLK, DF)
  • Using Parsec/Moonlight to play on my Windows PC and the behaviour is still occuring.

I have tested in other MMOs and the trackpad works perfectly, so I believe this to be a specific interaction with WoW.

If you enable “Use command to right-click” in game, and hold command while clicking and panning then it functions as normally. Changing Mac OS Secondary Click within System Preferences from “Bottom right hand corner” to “Click with two fingers” also fixes it. Using a USB mouse works normally.

I have just upgraded from an M1 Pro and never encountered this problem before. It sounds like it may have been introduced with M2? Dragon riding on MacBook Pro M2 trackpad - #7 by Holdmypug-stormrage It also looks like it was introduced a while back and was addressed in the Known Technical Support Issues - Updated July 21, 2020 - #18 by Caterpepi

Has anyone encountered a similar issue on M2 or M3 trackpads? I am hoping to get a response from a blue as this really affects movement for Mac users.

UPDATE: It has been noted that when the right click stops sticking it will also cause auto-run to toggle off. Also the GLOBAL_MOUSE_UP event does not fire when the bug occurs. These are interesting findings.

2 Likes

M2 had the same issue. I tried 3 laptops before giving up. I just got the M3 so I’m gonna try it now.

Oh you are from the other thread I was reading through. Please do let me know what you experience.

1 Like

Ok so it’s the same issue with M3. What I do now is just set it to two fingers. You just need the two to start then you can just use it like before to navigate your dragon. It sucks but I guess we have to wait until a solution or an app comes up.

Ugh so I am assuming this needs a fix on blizzards side? I have some other people who I know are using M2 macs, and they don’t seem to have the issue.

Yeah I’m also having this same problem

I have also noticed right click also stops working within the inventory if it first bugs during camera panning.

The bug is basically a drag-right click that doesn’t work on M2 and M3. This wasn’t a problem on the M1. So I don’t think it’s a problem unique to blizzard. If you select several files in your finder and right click, it won’t work either.

But weirdly it’s only present in WoW. If I try FFXIV for example the right click camera movement works perfectly.

Then could it a keybind interference? I’d have to check some settings but I know even on OS, the secondary click doesn’t work when set to bottom right click.

I just updated to Sonoma 14.2 developer beta 2, and the right click issues in Finder has been fixed, but the issue is still present in game.

1 Like

I have this same issue too, but I also noticed if you are auto-running while the right click bugs out, it stops your auto run.

1 Like

Nice catch! I will add it to the post. Have you found anything else related to it? I am surprised if it has been like this since the M2.

I also noticed the “GLOBAL_MOUSE_UP” event doesn’t fire when the right click bugs out.

Have you had any recent traction on fixes?

M1 Macbook Pro Sonoma 14.1, same issue

I haven’t found a perfect solution yet.

I have found an app called Multitouch by Ryan Hanson that can be set up to simulate a right click in the bottom right corner. You have to configure it within the app and then run this command in terminal to expand the right click area:

defaults write com.brassmonkery.Multitouch cornerTouchAreaLength -float 35

Note that 35 here is the default value, so you’ll want to adjust it higher.

The biggest issue I have with this app is the lack of palm rejection. If you are even slightly touching the touchpad with your palm the input into Multitouch won’t be recognised.

M2 Max with Sonoma (14.3.1) and never had an issue with two-finger Dragonriding (other than fingers getting tired), even on Ventura.

This has got to do with using bottom-right of the trackpad as right click, not using two fingers.

WoW just wasn’t designed with a trackpad in mind, so you’re always going to be running against the wind with any workaround.