M1 MacBook Pro getting too hot

Just bought a new 13” M1 MacBook Pro, 256 SSD, 8gb RAM, for both playing on the go as well as video editing.

When I booted up the game with about 9 addons, the laptop itself started getting hotter than what all the reviews said it should. Tried messing with the settings. Brought resolution down to 4, but not sure how else I can keep it cooler, as I don’t want this brand new device to start off with heat problems!

Curious if I am needing to run the game without any addons to get the performance I’ve heard about, or maybe wondering if somehow the specs are too low(that doesn’t seem right though)

It is possible that your new MacBook Pro is still doing some Spotlight indexing, Photo library downloading, iCloud Desktop & Documents download, etc.

2 Likes

You may want to load the load the Activity Monitor from your Utilities folder. It make me wonder if you may be running into a memory resource issue.

The Apple M1 uses a unified memory architecture to support the CPU and GPU. You have 8gig of RAM on your Mac and I would be interested to know if there is any stress on resources when you run WoW.

2 Likes

Same here, classic version on a MBP m1.
Runs like a champ at 60 fps at native resolution and graphics 8/10.

However the chassis gets quite hot. Not burning hot but hotter than what every reviewer has been talking about for that machine under load. The fan doesn’t kick in, but it gets hot also on both sides of the trackpad, where the battery is supposed to be

In the activity monitor, CPU usage is at about 60%, GPU 95%

And that is likely where the problem lies. Apple just loves letting their machines bake in lieu of actual cooling because noise. I’m not sure if there is a utility out for the M1 series that can alter fan profiles, but if not, this is going to continue and severely shorten the lifespan of these machines, not to mention the batteries as well. It’s never good to have hot batteries.

4 Likes

This is definitely my main concern, the battery and overall wearing down due to thermal stress.
iStats menu used to be able to control fans profiles, but not anymore. No access to temperature sensors too so far. I wouldn’t mind a bit of fan noise, especially when wearing headphones.

As far as I know, the M1 MacBook does not have any fans…

1 Like

Macbook Airs don’t. From what I’ve read, MBPs, even M1-based, do.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/46884/m1-macbook-teardowns-something-old-something-new

But the trend has been for the default system software to spin up the fans only very grudgingly. Because, I guess, noise?

2 Likes

Reviewers aren’t running anything under real world loads. They are just doing a quick test to see what the machine can do. In that instance, their comments hold true… in actuality, over extended use, the results may be very different.

The new M1s are now in the hands of real people using them in real world situations. It makes perfect sense that the glowing initial reviews that got everyone to buy them are now falling to the wayside for more pragmatic views.

In a nutshell, you are beta testing this new architecture for Apple. They are actually expecting issues to arise and will deal with them as they are discovered… in a better design going forward. Even the universal binary of WoW is very much a beta version because you guys are the first to actually run it under heavy use. You are finding issues that Blizzard now gets to address. Issues that only affect the M1 architecture, not the INTEL architecture.

2 Likes

This is simply not accurate. In truth, a lot of what reviewers do is more demanding than normal users because they’ll test things like running movies for 24 hours straight, or compiling huge projects.

As for WoW performance, mine has been great. I don’t know what adding the OP is using, but it sounds like he didn’t even bother testing performance without them first. All it would take is one outdated add-on or bad WA script to cause problems.

2 Likes

I suggest lowering the graphic settings down to something that the machine can handle better, without needing additionally cooling.

Also try disabling add-ons to see if one is causing problems.

The first post about spotlight indexing may also be accurate. If it’s brand new then it might be doing things in the background that won’t happen when they are complete.

Actually, it does overheat in real world usage…

http-s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dokf-e1Ok

Nice clickbait title she’s uses. Anyway, I’m not able to reproduce any sort of overheating like she’s talking about. Maybe her workload is just not suited to the hardware? Most of her other videos are involving Mac Pro and expensive GPU’s, liquid cooling, etc…

Not sure I’d use her as a relevant source for your argument.

If you don’t mind the (probably rather quiet) fan sounds, you can use the TG Pro app to kick in the fan at lower internal temperatures.

https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/

Yes TG pro has an updated Arm version for monitoring temps and stuff for the M1 Macs.

That being said my MBP M1 plus fine for two hours so far sustained at 4 settings at 1200p and only ever gets slightly warm.

A setting of 4(ish) isn’t exactly taxing that system. Bump that up to ≥7 and watch it suddenly get a lot warmer.

This is why I won’t even consider one till the second or preferably the third iteration. Apple always has a neat but buggy first iteration of a product, a second iteration that pretty good but has a few issues, then a third that is pretty stellar. I’ve played this game before.

1 Like

This isn’t ‘buggy’ and OP didnt even do the most basic troubleshooting. To start, TURN OFF ADDONS. Then, leaving everything else the same, run WoW for a bit. Is it OK? Or not? If it is, a) make sure addons are up to date and b) reenable the most critical ones first, then restart… This is basic stuff and we really shouldn’t need to tell someone to try this.

Aslo, what is ‘hot’? Is it "burns my legs’ hot? Or warm? I don’t know if it’s revved for the M1, but Macs Fan Control will show you the temps of the CPU at various physical points as well as the battery, etc. You can also manually control the fan speed.

Seriously, OP, do some of the basics so we can help.

1 Like

Can definitely confirm MBP M1 16Gb 2T gets very hot - I played first time on it last night. Note have used it for a variety of tasks including Adobe apps and multiple apps open where it works amazingly fast (and not hot) on par with MBP i9 64Gb.

My Macbook Pro M1 is running WoW (retail) at native resolution in quality 8/10. And it runs 62/70 degrees.

I don’t use addons, maybe that helps? I noticed that while charging it’s a bit hotter like 68/72 degrees.

It actually preforms better than my GTX 1660 (desktop).
The Ram should not be an issue cause it’s double the efficiency as normal ram, you basically have 16 gigs.

Battery is about 12/13 hours while playing WoW.
I use MenuBar Stats addon to mesure temperatures and see fan speed.
Fans are usually off, and occasionally spins up to 1100rpm (which I can’t hear) :slight_smile:

Hope you can use this information to your benefits!
Cheers,
Chris