M1 Macbook Air heating up horribly, cant play Dragonflight

Hi there,

I’m on the 2020 M1 Macbook Air, and its heating up really badly when I try to play. I don’t have this issue in Wrath, and didnt have it in Shadowlands when I put a ton of time into WoW.

The silicon models should be designed to not overheat so if its overheating that means that something is truly wrong even when gaming.

Idk if its related to the launcher memory leak.

It makes doing something like dragonriding impossible. It just starts getting choppy and freezing up with audio glitches and then I lose where I’m flying to.

I ended up having to refund Dragonflight until this gets fixed as I have no other platform to play it on.

Please fix! Thank you!

Hey Disqordia!

You may want to look into a laptop cooler – one of those platforms with fans which blow onto the underside of your laptop.

Hopefully that helps.

I also Play on a 2020 MacBook Air as well. Usually I don’t have the issue with the fan but I do get a lot of screen freezing and it gets annoying over time. But definitely get a cooler for it I’ve yet to do this but that should help immensely. :bow_and_arrow::black_heart:

they are known to overheat when pushed, and it’s well documented, ESPECIALLY with the air model which has no active cooling only passive and poor at that (to point uesrs are taking them part and improving cooling with upgraded thermal pads, google it).

All you can do is cap settings lower, cap framerate lower. Apple did not design the air to be pushed hard, they designed it for basic functionality. Using it for gaming or high productive work risks overheating and throttling.

the pro models fortunately don’t overheat with a custom fan curve (but they do overheat without it cause apple would rather overheat than make noise)