M1 Mac Performance? What mice and keyboard should I get for an M1 Mac Mini and WoW

Greetings,
I am extremely happy that Blizzard decided to support the M1 Macs.

That being said, I am looking for posts regarding the performance reviews of M1 Macs & the peripherals that should be used when playing WoW.

I have heard that are some bluetooth issues with peripherals and I was wondering if any of you have narrowed down the best peripherals like keyboards & mice that I cold pair with the M1 Mac mini as I am about to order one.

There is also the issue of the peripheral software. Which will work best? Logitech, Razer, Corsair?

I have the 16GB M1 MacBook Pro and have been using it as my primary machine (alongside the LG Ultrafine 4K) for the past couple of weeks since it arrived, replacing a 2017 i7 iMac.

Prior to purchasing I watched pretty much every Youtube video of various performance tests out there and the majority of the tests featured exactly the same things:

• Geekbench
  • Cinebench
  • Fortnite
  • Some other game at absolute maximum settings and mulling over how the Intel MBP only achieved 3fps and while the M1 achieved 9fps so it’s clearly 300% more powerful and the M2 or M1X or whatever the next one is will divide by zero and cause a quantum fluctuation in our fabric of being which breaks the universe and owns Intel.

After all this I still had absolutely no idea how it would perform and whether it would be suitable for my needs (light gaming mostly just WoW, WFH for the foreseeable future, light productivity apps, media apps, etc).

Performance
It’s a ~15 watt SoC. Apple’s marketing is absolutely on point for this device because it absolutely is the fastest CPU core in low power silicon and has the best CPU performance per watt, both of which mean nothing in the real world.

Productivity on this machine is fine; those videos of people loading up every single macOS application instantly are pretty accurate when it comes to ARM-native apps. The only Intel apps I use frequently already ran like rubbish on macOS (Discord, Spotify, and Steam) and they still run about the same, which I guess is a win?

Performance in WoW is good (for what the machine actually is). Heavy particle effects kill fps, as it would on any machine where memory bandwidth is limited (keeping in mind the “unified memory” thing Apple talk-up as a benefit is just a pool of LPDDR4X). I run at setting 5 at 1080p (external monitor) and can hit 50-60fps pretty regularly in the open world and 5-man content. I don’t raid, but intentionally standing on top of world bosses so that all the spell effects are on my screen causes FPS to take a hit. Everyones favourite slog Ardenweald is probably the worst and hovers in the mid-30s at its worst.

If you intend to play on the laptop screen at 1400x900 or 1680x1050, you can probably toy with settings and find a 60fps sweet spot, but I have not played around with this.

It’s worth noting that CMAA does not appear to work on these systems (yet?), so you are stuck with the performance-killing MSAA, the headache-inducing FXAA, or no AA.

Peripherals
I have tried my best to reproduce the bluetooth audio skipping people have talked about on Youtube and have only been able to do so once while using a pair of Powerbeats 3 earphones. I was given a JBL portable bluetooth speaker for Christmas which I’ve been using as a soundbar (of sorts) and have not experienced any audio skipping. Typically I have the speaker and and the Apple bluetooth keyboard connected, but also have a PS4 controller which I use for playing Apple Arcade games.

I am in an environment with relatively few other bluetooth devices, so perhaps the issue would be more prevalent when there are multiple devices fighting for frequency, or many devices paired with the machine. Realistically, how many bluetooth devices is a person going to use?

I don’t use it as such, but I do have a Razer Pro Click mouse which has a bluetooth option, and also had no issues using it with the other devices connected at the same time.

I plug all USB devices in via the USB-C ports on the back of the monitor, which is connected to the laptop via Thunderbolt. I also have a small USB hub stuck to the side of the monitor which the mouse receiver is plugged into.

I’ve read about people having connectivity issues and blaming it on mice with high polling rates, but I have mine set to 1000hz and have not had issues.

I can’t comment on keyboards; I like keyboards with low key travel very much and have used progressively-newer models of the Apple Smart Keyboard (or whatever) for about as long as it’s existed.

People have said USB transfer speeds are slower, but I never benchmarked on my Intel Mac so I have nothing to compare to. I have a Samsung T5 and a Kingston NVME in an external housing plugged into the monitor and both perform fine (anecdotally).

What should you get
In terms of what peripherals you should get; make sure the mouse has onboard memory so you are not forced to use special software which will either not work (because the manufacturer relied on kernel extensions and has not updated it to support Big Sur) or will run terribly (because it’s Intel-only). Razer, for example, don’t have macOS software, so I just configured the mouse on a Windows machine and the settings (dpi, polling rate, etc) are saved in the onboard memory.

As I said above, I can’t really recommend a keyboard as I’ve used nothing but the Apple bluetooth keyboard. Get this one then?

I have had no issues with various bluetooth audio devices, so I assume whatever you have will work fine.

Overall, these machines are incredible, but people need to temper their expectations as they are not as incredible as the Apple-induced hype has caused people to think. I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your new machine!

4 Likes

Nareye, that was a very detailed response. I’m not the OP but I’m in a similar situation.

Most stores near me are carrying the 8GB macbooks. I would prefer the 16GB model but I would have to order it. What does your RAM consumption look when you run WoW? The OS probably will use or reserve all of the RAM that is available, so it might be hard to tell if the extra 8GB of RAM would make much of a difference.

More or less. My 16GB model was a BTO since everywhere only seems to the stock the 8GB models.

https://i.imgur.com/oVNIent.png

Memory pressure.

I’d go for the 16GB model just for future proofing. There are some comparisons of the two on Youtube and the general feeling is that 16GB performs noticeably better in heavy applications. Which is understandable.

1 Like

Hi Aldarisx :slight_smile:

You’ve probably seen the benchmarks I’d posted at:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/quick-4k-m1-mac-mini-vs-2012egpu-benchmarks/796697

I just want to add that those benchmarks were done in a tough scenario - 4k monitor, 4k resolution, and in a zone that’s difficult to render.

If you’re playing at a lower resolution (e.g. 1080p is 25% as difficult as 4k), or are willing to turn down graphical settings, it should definitely be fun to play on an m1. :slight_smile:

Personally I’m using a Matias Ergo Pro split keyboard and didn’t notice any oddness. I also use a Steelseries Rival 500 mouse and while I didn’t test it extensively, for normal day-to-day usage I don’t load any software (although I did use their suite to initially configure it - the settings save to the mouse itself).

1 Like

Thank you so much for the detailed responses. I am eagerly awaiting my M1 Mac Mini (16 GB RAM) and hope to get back to WoW without any hitch.

2 Likes

I have a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB of RAM. I think the game performs great with the M1 Macs.

A little back story, I have been playing WoW on Macs for 14 years. I took a break right before Legion, and now I am back finishing up the legion content.

I currently have the graphic settings set at 10, as high as they will go. I get 40-50 FPS average with the occasional dip below 40 and sometimes as high as 60.

This is in the legion areas, so I am unsure how the BFA and SL areas will perform. I have just about every Legion achievement I feel like getting, is I plan on skipping BFA for now and jumping right into SL this weekend.