M+ help - ele rotation

Hello fellow shamans

I really enjoy playing ele and I’m getting started in m+ but I find myself struggling particularly with trash. I know there are a lot of videos out there and I’ve been watching them, especially videos from Barokoshama but to be honest I process and understand things better when I can read them and reference them again. I’ve been using icy veins as well but I’d just like some input from other shaman out there doing m+

I’m necrolord and I’m only ilvl 186 so I’m just getting started. I’m doing around 3k ST but I’m just really struggling on trash. I was getting torched by a BM hunter yesterday that was 15 ilvls below me, maybe it’s a hunter thing and it being just a +2 or maybe I just suck.

When are are 3 enemies or less I’m putting FS or PW on all of them and maintaining it. Using LB on cooldown and weaving spells between it when they are empowered. If there are 3 or more I’m using CL instead of LB. Keeping EQ active with more than 3 enemies and trying to use it when it’s been enhanced by LB.

At 2-3 enemies I seem to be fine but when I get to the bigger pacts like in De Other Side I just fell drastically behind.

Anyway I feel like I’m rambling so can someone give me some insight on handling trash mobs with moderate to large number of enemies? I’m trying to hold Stormkeeper for those pulls and that helps a lot but I can’t do it every time.

edit sorry one more thing, I don’t have my legendary yet. Should I go with Sundering or Windspeaker? I’m doing mostly m+ right now but I’d eventually like to do the raid. A lot of shaman on raider io are using Windspeaker but I’m not sure if it’s because they raid as well or if it’s preferred over Sundering in general.

It sounds like you are doing the correct things. We are just a weak AoE class in M+ at the moment.

Getting the Earthquake legendary helps a bit on AoE pulls but the biggest thing is your tank. If he’s familiar with running with Elemental shamans, leaving mobs in Earthquake as long as possible makes all the diference. The problem right now is that alot of dungeon mechanics require tanks to kite and move quickly and our main AoE ability (Earthquake) is stationary for 6s. Most of the time you don’t get the full duration in.

One other piece of advice is to pool your Maelstrom between pulls. Don’t dump it all at the end of a pull if the mob is at 2%. That way you can have 60+ Maelstrom saved by the time the next pull starts and you can immediately cast an Earthquake or Lavaburst followed by Earthquake if you are looking to buff it from Master of the Elements.

With bigger packs you need to do more CL spam with only EQ drops than trying to weave. I think where people get in trouble is trying to maintain Flameshock on a target so they can throw out an instant crit LvB and they lose a lot of time that could be spent nailing all targets with CL. I think at 5+ targets the only time you should drop a LvB is to empower chain lightning with MotE after using stormkeeper.

In short, more CL, EQ spam for numerous targets. Focus more on LvB 3 or less. I had the same issue as you though so it could be more to gearing honestly. Once I crossed 205 my AoE went up significantly so just give it time.

Regarding the question of which legendary to build, I’ve seen a number of folks on this forum recommending Windspeaker’s for both raid and M+ because kiting is so important in M+ and earthquake rarely is able to do its full damage.

There are some weeks where the combinations of affixes means less kiting in M+ so you can get better use out of Echoes of the Great Sundering, but you’re probably best off to craft Windspeaker’s first.

The value of mote on an EQ far outweighs SK CL. You’d still want an FS rolling to empower EQ casts with LS procs, even when it overcaps maelstrom. This will carry over even after the 9.0.5 EQ/CL buffs.

As far as OP, yeah we’re a bit behind in the raw AoE department, but should be steering in the right direction post-9.0.5 buffs. Unlike fire or WW, our damage ramps rather than being upfront.

Legendaries you’ll ideally make both WLR and EoGS. They both have their uses on a per-affix and per-dungeon basis.

Agree. At I would even wait another week to see what skybreakers is going to look like after the patch.

1 Like