LUA Error help

Been getting a repeated LUA error, but it happens so infrequently that I can’t just disable addons one by one to find out which one it is. Sometimes I will get the error a few times in an hour, sometimes it might be a whole day and never see it. Doesn’t matter where I’m at or what I’m doing. Usually the LUA error lists which addon is causing the problem, but this one isn’t.

This is my current error I just had pop up during a DF dungeon run:

Message: Interface/FrameXML/LossOfControlFrame.lua:85: bad argument #1 to ‘SetAlpha’ (Usage: self:SetAlpha(alpha))
Time: Sun Mar 19 14:04:42 2023
Count: 320
Stack: Interface/FrameXML/LossOfControlFrame.lua:85: bad argument #1 to ‘SetAlpha’ (Usage: self:SetAlpha(alpha))
[string “=[C]”]: in function `SetAlpha’
[string “@Interface/FrameXML/LossOfControlFrame.lua”]:85: in function <Interface/FrameXML/LossOfControlFrame.lua:77>

Locals: (*temporary) = LossOfControlFrame {
0 =
AbilityName = FontString {
}
priority = 5
fadeTime = 0.504000
RedLineTop = Texture {
}
blackBg = Texture {
}
startTime = 76008.992188
Cooldown = Cooldown {
}
Anim = AnimationGroup {
}
TimeLeft = Frame {
}
RedLineBottom = Texture {
}
Icon = Texture {
}
spellID = 369366
}
(*temporary) = 1.008000

Thats on Blizzard. That’s not one of your addons.

To disable the error just type this in your chat window and press enter:

/console scriptErrors 0

Just to note, this thread would be better off in Bug Report, as it isn’t an issue on your end, but rather a Lua error that Blizzard needs to fix on their end. No Technical Support can be given that would resolve your issues.

You should be able to edit your original post and move it there, or just create a new thread, so the folks responsible for fixing this will see your report.

Your error is listing that as well. The “addon” is “LossofControlFrame.”

The community calls Lua code written by third-parties “addons” while Lua code written by Blizzard is the “default UI,” but they’re all the same thing. Lua code that does something in-game.

Fateswarning is correct, it’s not one of your addons.

I’d just mention that while /console scripterrors 0 is great for hiding all Lua errors, it removes the ability to, well… see errors. Which can be useful for those of us that want to know when we have an addon or UI failure, so we can fix it.

Might I suggest something like BugSack, which quietly collects the Lua errors so you can view them at your convenience. The BugSack icon provides EZPZ dismissal of errors (alt-click the icon, which simply turns red when it’s holding an error) and shift-click UI reload.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/bugsack
Dependency: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/bug-grabber

You’ll need both of the above. I’ve been running BugSack for so long I don’t remember if it automatically comes with BugGrabber, or vice-versa. If not, just grab 'em both; they’re tiny, unintrusive and incredibly useful for troubleshooting UI / Lua problems.

Yeah, I’ll disable the error report again. The only reason I had it open is I was trying to track down an actual addon error and found out which one was causing it (Postal was causing errors when I close my mailbox, just had to delete and reinstall it). Then this one started popping up and I left the option active so I could research it further.

It looks like they moved it to the Bug Reports for me, so we’re good there.

I shall look into those addons for the bugs too!

Try the viewpoint as a system-quest. mind the developer console could be turned on first.
An Lua error occurs because of line 85 and 77, of a Blizzard Interface element. The conflict may be related to a SetAlpha setting, which may be either zero or one value, or a grade value; Maybe SetAlpha is a CVar.
Interface/FrameXML can be downloaded from console script; find out how, or how to modify the text as a config.
The bug-hunt is on and it has to do with a Blizzard element! exciting stuff, I wouldn’t turn that off if I was hearthed Undercity.
what does an addon-tool for error reporting depend upon, an event log, libraries, garbagio? an addon-tool depends on you to update it’s version number, some lines of codes that can’t be zeros after-all, or mayhaps rewriting all those libraries yourself because you felt like it, the pseudo-codes weren’t quite in order, or the original authors who had access to the beta while you didn’t hadn’t bothered to include the thirteenth race/class to their code-packs.
idk; maybe the theme of the puzzle has been insightful.

Note that while it’s all well and good to point fingers at the Blizzard UI code, there’s actually been a lot of addon taint occurring since 10.0.0.1 launched. To that end I no longer suspect that the addons themselves are the problem, rather Blizzard’s LUA parser built into the client which actually lets them run.

Some of the errors I’ve seen via the built-in taint log point to issues with variables that are only ever declared at load time, then never specifically manipulated again (they’re the ones actually “enabling” the addon). As a result these can’t possibly have been assigned an invalid value as they would report an error immediately, rather than waiting until it’s extremely inconvenient for them to do so (such as when trying to execute a macro in combat via key input).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.